Page 15 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jan 2018, 7:02 am

I must admit that I don't really understand what's so different about killing a zygote and killing an egg. Yes, one is a different being. So what? Having the potential to be a person in the future doesn't grant you extra rights. I certainly don't care that something is "human", which seems to be one step away from caring that someone is "white".

If you bemoan when someone takes a drug which means an embryo fails to implant, then you should also bemoan when you swallow and drop thousands of bacteria into a pit of acid.

The issue with murder isn't "killing is always wrong". Death is a fact of life, particularly for cells. Cells cannot think, and they can't "feel" remotely the same way that we do. We have no qualms about killing cells when it is convenient for us (if we're itchy, for example). We shouldn't change our mind about that just because the cells are a human embryo. Beings, capable of thought and feeling, are infinitely more worthy of ethical consideration than collections of cells.

Long story short, this is not a person:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jan 2018, 7:15 am

SpiceWolf wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Do you mind if I ask you some questions to pin down your views?

Firstly, would it be fair to say that "opposes wars, opposes abortion, opposes genocide, opposes euthanasia, opposes murder, opposes executions, and so on and so forth" describes you?

It broadly describes my point of view at this point in time, and barring some "revelation" I don't think it will change substantially. (Unless I find I've made a mistake and something else is more true). That said, it is a very brief and simple summary.

That's fine, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misrepresenting you and that those were your views rather than those of a hypothetical person.

SpiceWolf wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Secondly, do you also oppose eating meat?

I'm hesitant to make any strong pronunciations, as I'm still sorting out my thoughts.

But I'm no vegetarian, I don't have a problem with eating dead animals, it's more about wether it's OK to kill the animal.
So if I felt it was ok to kill the animal, I wouldn't have a problem with eating the animal.

But if the purpose of your question is "Do I make distinctions between animal and human life?", then yes, broadly speaking, I do.
I consider human life to be more important than animal life.
Does that answer your question?

Yes, thank you.

Let's say intelligent aliens land on Earth. They are extremely peaceful and keen to integrate. They quickly learn our languages, and in conversation are indistinguishable from people, but biologically they're very different and interbreeding is impossible. Would you consider their lives as important as human lives?
SpiceWolf wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Finally, how do you define abortion? Are you against methods which prevent the sperm and egg from fusing? Against methods which prevent the resulting mess from implanting? Is it fine when it's an undifferentiated ball of cells but not at some later point?

Preventing a sperm and and egg from fusing I have no problems with. I see conception as a transformative event.

Preventing implantation, I think is a quagmire(in an ethical and moral sense). It's not something I can give a simple answer to.(They're may be a nice simple answer, but it eludes me for now).

An embryo that has formed and successfully implanted, that I would class as abortion.

Thanks for answering. Apologies for taking so long to acknowledge and reply.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 8:45 am

I'm not sure what your position is Walrus, I was amused by your introduction of moral vegetarianism into the abortion argument. To counter such an idea, I think we'll have to go far beyond the abortion argument, but hey it might be fun. Shall we tackle your newly invented racism (specism?) first? You already noted that by applying such a world view, killing a newborn would be no different than killing a pig, so, it's time for a hypothetical.

A ravenous chimp is about to eat a human child of approximately similar intellectual and emotional capability. You are looking at this event through the scope of a loaded sniper rifle. What's the moral course? Do you intervene? They are more or less equal beings according to your entry into this thread. Surely you won't save the child since you've said that would be something akin to racism... Yes the child has the potential to be more than the chimp will ever be, but at this present moment, they are, according to your statements, equal beings and neither deserves extra rights compared to the other.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 10:13 am

Why shouldn't the human child be saved from the chimp---especially if the chimp is not harmed in the process?

It would be hard to foresee the opposite situation---where a ravenous human baby is aching to eat a chimp. If that situation was to occur, I would feel tempted to save the chimp from being eaten.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2018, 2:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Why shouldn't the human child be saved from the chimp---especially if the chimp is not harmed in the process?

It would be hard to foresee the opposite situation---where a ravenous human baby is aching to eat a chimp. If that situation was to occur, I would feel tempted to save the chimp from being eaten.

Can you please clarify? I don't understand what you mean by 'chimp'.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 2:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Fine I'll simplify it. A chimp and human child of equal mental development are trapped a box by a mad scientist called Mikah. Mikah presents you with two buttons. Press one and the child dies, press the other and the chimp dies, press neither and both die. Choose. Before you say kill Mikah, that is not an option in this thought experiment.

smudgedhorizon wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimpanzee

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2018, 2:56 pm

Mikah wrote:
MissChess wrote:
Okay, individual life (in the sense of a genetic code distinct from that of either parent) begins when the parents' genetic material mingles. I assume we can dispense with the question of implantation, since we have little control over it, at least with regard to making it happen more often. Tangentially, there was an interesting study I was reading about from 2014 regarding why so many fertilized eggs fail to implant, relating to the production of a chemical called trypsin. The theory was that sub-par, damaged, or essentially less-viable eggs failed to produce enough of this chemical, which signals the uterine lining to be ready for implantation. It seems to be a sort of quality-control system whereby "bad" eggs get flushed. And now I'm thinking of Willy Wonka. Sigh. Numbers range anywhere from 50% to 80% on fertilized eggs failing to implant, but I think only wacky zealots would consider that in the same light as abortion.

This came up in the other threads too. The "natural abortion" of many fertilised eggs has little bearing on the argument as far as I can tell. As I said back then:

Just because we know with hindsight that a fertilised egg did not have a future beyond 2 or 3 days, until implantation fails, until the wheels of fate turn, we must consider it a human, granted a very short lived one.

You and I both know that pregnancy is a crap shoot on the best of days. The thing is, until recently so was childhood. Even today not all 3 year olds make it to 4. We wouldn't apply the "a few more won't matter" rule to 3 year olds. If a human is a human in the first trimester, then we cannot apply it here either. Even if 1 in 4 fertilised eggs don't implant successfully, and those that do have a good chance of not making it further, interfering negatively with that process is ending a human life prematurely.

In short: anything that prevents the fusion of sperm and egg is not a problem for me, Catholics and others might want to go down the road of sanctity and demanding protection for sperm and eggs, but it's a road I struggle to follow. Any drug or method that acts after that fusion to prevent implantation/pregnancy is logically equivalent, in my mind, to a surgical abortion a few weeks later.

If I'm understanding you correctly then, you'd be in support of methods 1 & 2, you would question 3 & 4 based on the potential for prevention of implantation, and would oppose 5 on the same level as a D&C or other medical procedure designed to evict a uterine tenant?

I know there's a lot of "gotcha" going on in this thread, as it's a contentious topic, but I'm not trying to set you up in any sort of ontological bear-trap. It's difficult to find an opportunity to discuss something like this without tempers flaring. I know masking and mirroring behaviors aren't universal coping strategies for the neurodiverse, but I believe many of us employ them; I mirror almost constantly and often without conscious intent. For that reason, I prize others who can veer toward the hyper-rational side of things, as that's how I function when I'm not around others and I think more clearly this way. I suppose I should try to be better at not mirroring in a text-based environment, but I'll admit to a nasty streak of temperament that enjoys that...I just try to rise above it.

It seems what we're arriving at here is the question of conflicting rights, would you agree?

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2018, 3:10 pm

smudgedhorizon wrote:

Mikah wrote:

I know what chimp means. Asking kraftiekortie what HE meant by it in context of abortion.

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2018, 3:26 pm

smudgedhorizon wrote:
smudgedhorizon wrote:

Mikah wrote:

I know what chimp means. Asking kraftiekortie what HE meant by it in context of abortion.

I don't think kraftie was talking about chimps in the context of abortions. Just referring to Mad Scientist Mikah's thought experiment regarding the relative value of newborn chimpanzee and human lives.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 4:07 pm

MissChess wrote:
If I'm understanding you correctly then, you'd be in support of methods 1 & 2, you would question 3 & 4 based on the potential for prevention of implantation, and would oppose 5 on the same level as a D&C or other medical procedure designed to evict a uterine tenant?

Yes, as you described them, though I'm no expert on the chemistry of some of these drugs.

smudgedhorizon wrote:

Sorry, it's been one of those threads. My thought experiment is mainly aimed at The_Walrus.

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2018, 5:18 pm

Mikah wrote:
MissChess wrote:

Yes, as you described them, though I'm no expert on the chemistry of some of these drugs.

Nor am I. There's actually disagreement on the function of IUDs, with some doctors maintaining they're purely prophylactic and others saying they interfere with implantation.

It seems likely that a discussion of embryology would just be a rehash of opinions already stated, so I don't see much sense delving into the question of zygote vs. embryo vs. fetus. From a scientific standpoint they're clearly defined and differ from one another. Your stand seems to be that from a moral/ethical standpoint they don't, or shouldn't, differ - that human life, as defined by a distinct genetic code, is a person and should have equal protection under the law. Is that a correct statement?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 5:21 pm

The law protects people equally, therefore any man or woman could be forced to carry a pregnancy to term.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2018, 5:41 pm

Even though I'm not an advocate for abortion. Illegalizing abortion isn't a viable option. Women will use more crude methods which can cause serious harm or potentially be life-threathening. More baby killing, homeless kids, unstable/ irresponsible parents who can't take care of the kid etc.

Last edited by Yo El on 25 Jan 2018, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 5:44 pm

Abortion is wrong,
But so is a lot of things,
So we should allow it on the merit society is already screwed,

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 6:41 pm

Mikah wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Fine I'll simplify it. A chimp and human child of equal mental development are trapped a box by a mad scientist called Mikah. Mikah presents you with two buttons. Press one and the child dies, press the other and the chimp dies, press neither and both die. Choose. Before you say kill Mikah, that is not an option in this thought experiment.

smudgedhorizon wrote:

I'd save the child on the basis of enlightened self-interest.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 8:06 pm

How would anybody die based upon pressing a button?

Perhaps, one could overcome "evil Mikah" (without killing him), and the dismantle that evil thing. Or just take the electrodes or whatever off both the person and the chimp.

In answer to the above question: Yes, I was talking about the relative worth of a chimp and a human's life.