Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 4:15 am

Hi all. Let's talk about the third world. Why is the third world so poor? Let's take a look. I'm going to go through several third world countries and provide some random facts about these countries.

Democratic Republic of Congo
The Democratic Republic of Congo, much like the United States, has no universal health care system. Congo is also more religious than the United States. 80% of Americans are Christian compared to 95% of Congolese people. Congo is also more traditional than America in terms of gender roles. Therefore, it's safe to say that the Democratic Republic of Congo is a Christian conservative country. Moving on.

Tanzania
Once again, Tanzania has no universal health care system. 61.4% of Tanzanian people are Christian. Another 35% of the population is Muslim, though these two faiths manage to peacefully coexist. Addionally, 1.4% of Tanzanians are non-religious compared to 18.2% of Americans. Sexually, the Tanzanians are traditional. The men are manly. The women are ladies. Moving on.

Madagascar
Once again, no universal health care, traditional gender roles, very religious, mostly Christian. Noticing a pattern?

Angola
Once again, no universal heath care, very religious, very traditional, mostly Christian.

I'm not saying that these countries are "sh**holes" because of right-wing politics. I'm just saying that right-wing politics clearly has not made these countries any better.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

wshaped
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2018, 8:49 am

I don't want to get involved in this poorly-informed political thread, so I'll just leave a link for those who might be interested in getting informed: A Thrive/Survive Theory Of The Political Spectrum (ctrl-F for "Last night at a dinner party" to get to the meat of it.)

There is no justice in the laws of Nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky. But they don't have to! We care! There is light in the world, and it is us! 

(Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, Eliezer Yudkowsky)

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 10:28 am

At the risk of getting a board warning...

https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

There is a correlation between IQ and individual success. Some posit that average national IQ might correlate with a nation's success. According to that page the countries you mention have average national IQs of 78, 72, 82, 68 respectively.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 10:50 am

A legacy from colonization?

Yes America does very well as a former colony if you're descended from the immigrants who came here or share ethnicity with them. Those still struggling are the Native American population here or minorities. The recent Dakota Pipeline controversy illustrates how they get sidelined by wealthy interests. I'm sure this is even worse in the 3rd World if people get in the way of Warlords or foreign powers that discover oil or minerals to be mined there.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2018, 7:02 pm

Western and Southern europeans occupied this lands with force not long ago and still today they own these lands and use their resources for their own good.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2018, 7:05 pm

btw what nations have been better when having left politics? there is none. liberalism is the way to go.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 10:08 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
btw what nations have been better when having left politics? there is none.

Scandinavia.

Quote:
liberalism is the way to go.

Real liberalism and real leftism are the same thing.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 10:28 pm

Footage of Tanzania
VVV

What You Don't See
- cannibalism
- people with bones through their noses
- nudity
- people flipping out and killing each other for no reason

What You Do See
- people suffering under capitalism
- people acting like civilized human beings and doing what they can do with what they've got
- people working
- women wearing dresses because they are traditional
- cars

If all the people in the video were white, you would think it was a video of Appalachia.

Addionally, people in Tanzania tend to have very strong family ties and family values ... because they are Christian conservatives.

The third world is not an alien world that follows different natural laws. It's suffering from out-of-control capitalism.

Here is a map of the countries that have universal health care. Notice a pattern?
Capitalism = REKT

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 10:44 pm

You could, IDK immigrant to one of those countries... I would even pay for a one way flight if it would help.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 1:37 am

Initially these places were culturally primitive simply because they were. That varied from having very peaceful, creative, and admirable groups of people in some places to the worst kinds of human barbarism in others. Primitive indicates a certain kind of social order and a way of life that in a lot of ways is closer to the earth and much less rarefied by human cultural abstractions. My guess is that a large part of European heritage - ie. empire-building, was something that didn't hold or work in the same ways there and thus ideas did not homogenize. A lot of the things that give seed to stable or unified civilization and institutions are downright brutal - looking at European history from the Greeks onward gives a great deal of evidence to that.

Another thing you see, separately, is that as of the last 100 years Africa has increasingly been absorbing first-world influence and a lot of the concepts are being brought on board. The degree of progress in Africa is quite variable and you have highly advanced in modern cities in some places, mud huts in others. A lot of that has been governed by western capital but one of the things that's made Africa's progress challenging is that it's had more to do with foreign powers coming in and extracting resources than it's had to do with continent-wide increased in means, education, grass-roots cultivation of institutions, etc..

I really think the 21st century is going to see epic change in Africa though and my best guess is that a lot of those things mentioned earlier, ie. institutions and infrastructure, will be the overwhelming norm rather than something that's present in a large minority but still less than half of places. Especially if 5G gets up and running and Africa gets covered in Raspberry Pi's a lot of the education needs will begin to take care of themselves. I think the whole world will be unrecognizable by the end of the 21st century, as in who knows just how dominated it will be by AI or how few people will need to work, but I think Africa will be seeing the most rapid rate of change in this direction. What we might see today is the sort of snap shot of what one might have seen in the US in the early decades of the 20th century.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2018, 6:52 am

There propably isn't one reason. Geography, luck, agricultural development, location, trade with other countries etc. I don't think religion, gender opression or capitalism play that huge of a role honestly. 3th world countries just got the short end of the stick location wise. Only globalization can safe them now. Religion and poverty often go hand in hand, maybe a coping mechanism to deal with harsh living conditions.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 1:26 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
- people suffering under capitalism

But there's no reason for you to "suffer under capitalism".
You need to meet it half way, though, an do something.

Quote:
If all the people in the video were white, you would think it was a video of Appalachia.

I've seen a lot of Appalachia and even though there is poverty none of it is close to this bad. Maybe you should go there and see for yourself, or are you afraid someone might make you squeal like a pig?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 3:17 pm

I think the suffering under current African systems of economics and trade would really be none other than a system of trade in an earlier stage of evolution than where our own is at. In thirty or forty years they'll likely be suffering a Starbucks on every corner, a Chipotle not to far from it, and the Wallgreens/CVS catercorner face-off at most town squares - or whatever the equivalents are across the world in 30 or 40 years time.

IMHO they're well on their way to first-world problems.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2018, 3:25 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Hi all. Let's talk about the third world. Why is the third world so poor? Let's take a look. I'm going to go through several third world countries and provide some random facts about these countries.

Democratic Republic of Congo
The Democratic Republic of Congo, much like the United States, has no universal health care system. Congo is also more religious than the United States. 80% of Americans are Christian compared to 95% of Congolese people. Congo is also more traditional than America in terms of gender roles. Therefore, it's safe to say that the Democratic Republic of Congo is a Christian conservative country. Moving on.

Tanzania
Once again, Tanzania has no universal health care system. 61.4% of Tanzanian people are Christian. Another 35% of the population is Muslim, though these two faiths manage to peacefully coexist. Addionally, 1.4% of Tanzanians are non-religious compared to 18.2% of Americans. Sexually, the Tanzanians are traditional. The men are manly. The women are ladies. Moving on.

Madagascar
Once again, no universal health care, traditional gender roles, very religious, mostly Christian. Noticing a pattern?

Angola
Once again, no universal heath care, very religious, very traditional, mostly Christian.

I'm not saying that these countries are "sh**holes" because of right-wing politics. I'm just saying that right-wing politics clearly has not made these countries any better.

You've just named three countries dominated by Communist or reformed Communist governments. Only Madagascar is not. Sorry.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 5:43 am

Lack of resources and education.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 6:20 am

Angola has been left-wing since independence, with the first 15 years being Marxist.

Coincidentally, Mozambique has had a nearly identical history, with its first 15 years as a communist state.

Both countries became independent in 1975, and were both Portuguese colonies.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!