Should religious people be detained n mental hospitals?

Page 5 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 9:49 pm

Pepe wrote:
Lintar wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I do believe theists are out of touch with the objective reality

I believe atheists are out of touch with reality. I, just like you, will also not give any reasons for why I believe this. I'll just state it as a fact and expect people to believe me. Do you see how easy (and lazy) it is to do this? Can you prove me wrong?

There is overwhelming scientific evidence which verifies the evolutionary process, for example...
I base my opinions on scientific evidence, personal observation and experience...
And I have made a comprehensive study on psychology...
I don't base my opinions on faith... :wink:

BTW, I was one of you mob...
A committed Christian...
I found a faith based belief system extremely intellectually constricting...
There are so many intellectual constructs out there that a faith based philosophy would deny...
I have moved on, 40 years and counting...
And loving it... :wink:

A few relevant points:
1. I wasn't talking about evolution, but atheism. They are not the same thing. There are many theists who believe in evolution as well.
2. So do I.
3. So what? That doesn't mean you are right, or that your beliefs should therefore not be questioned.
4. Do you even know what faith is? Hint: it is NOT a blind acceptance of propositions for which there is no evidence, or a belief maintained in opposition to the evidence, as many seem to think. :wink:

I was once "one of your mob" (i.e. an atheist). That was a long, long time ago (but not in a galaxy far, far away), but I found the belief that our presence here is just the end result of a very long sequence of extremely improbable blind events to be just far too absurd to even consider anymore. I have moved on, 50 years and counting, and LOVING it :wink:

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 9:52 pm

Goldilocks wrote:
I am also so sick and tired of people talking about science and psychology as being without flaw because it is well known that results can be structured to prove a hypothesis. Bias exists because we are humans not computers

I'm not even a Christian but I've done enough history to know you can turn anything you want into a deity, including science.

Exactly! :salut:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 12:15 am

Lintar wrote:

I was once "one of your mob" (i.e. an atheist). That was a long, long time ago (but not in a galaxy far, far away), but I found the belief that our presence here is just the end result of a very long sequence of extremely improbable blind events to be just far too absurd to even consider anymore. I have moved on, 50 years and counting, and LOVING it :wink:

Would you agree, that in all probability, neither one of us is going to convince the other?
Would you consider:"Let us agree to disagree? :wink:

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 12:26 am

Pepe wrote:
Lintar wrote:

Would you agree, that in all probability, neither one of us is going to convince the other?
Would you consider:"Let us agree to disagree? :wink:

Yeah, okay. :)

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 6:26 am

Pepe wrote:

It doesn't have to be and don't forget, Atheism is a faith. I don't speak for you, but when I was an atheist, I found myself meeting religious ideas with indignant revulsion. Sin? Final Judgement? A Lord to whom I must answer? *retch*. Atheism certainly limited me. The very least of it was the beautiful artwork, prose and poetry that encapsulated religious ideas and themes, things I rejected on general principle because atheizm is for smartzzz peoplezz like me. Ugh, I hate my younger self.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 3:22 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Hearing voices does not make you mentally ill.

What?

I have never met a "normal" person who heard voices. :?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 6:44 pm

Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:

It doesn't have to be and don't forget, Atheism is a faith. I don't speak for you, but when I was an atheist, I found myself meeting religious ideas with indignant revulsion. Sin? Final Judgement? A Lord to whom I must answer? *retch*. Atheism certainly limited me. The very least of it was the beautiful artwork, prose and poetry that encapsulated religious ideas and themes, things I rejected on general principle because atheizm is for smartzzz peoplezz like me. Ugh, I hate my younger self.

So there is no misunderstanding:
I respect you as a person... :wink:

Atheism is not a faith...
It embraces the scientific methodology...
Your turn... :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 7:03 pm

Atheism can take on the character of a fanatical "faith" at times.

If there are atheists who believe religious folks should be locked up, that's too fanatical for my tastes.

I am an atheist---but I am not anti-religion.

It would be nice if there was a nice, benevolent God--and a Heaven where decent people go when they die. I don't believe in either.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 6:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Atheism can take on the character of a fanatical "faith" at times.

If there are atheists who believe religious folks should be locked up, that's too fanatical for my tastes.

I would think/hope most atheists have a greater respect for the principles:
-"Live and let live"...
-Freedom of choice...
-Freedom of speech and thought...

Some religions are determined to force their beliefs onto others...

Simply having a different weltanschauung doesn't qualify someone to be institutionalised...
It is the potential for some people to harm themselves or others which is the criteria...
And of course, this applies to everyone...

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 1:30 am

Pepe wrote:

It has to be. Atheism is a world view chosen, an assumption, a hope, about the nature of the universe, lived out in thought and action, made from a position of no knowledge. I don't know how the universe came into being, I don't know what came before (I'm aware of the problem of "before" here, no need for the lecture about spacetime), I don't know if there are things that can't be observed and measured by science. I don't know if there is a purpose to it all hidden from me. Neither do you, my friend. The only truly honest and rational position someone can take is agnosticism. To choose to believe and live as though there were no God, is a leap of faith, just as a leap in the opposite direction is.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 1:37 am

Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:

It has to be. Atheism is a world view chosen, an assumption, a hope, about the nature of the universe, lived out in thought and action, made from a position of no knowledge. I don't know how the universe came into being, I don't know what came before (I'm aware of the problem of "before" here, no need for the lecture about spacetime), I don't know if there are things that can't be observed and measured by science. I don't know if there is a purpose to it all hidden from me. Neither do you, my friend. The only truly honest and rational position someone can take is agnosticism. To choose to believe and live as though there were no God, is a leap of faith, just as a leap in the opposite direction is.

We will have to agree to disagree here...
We still agree elsewhere on other things...
Win some...
Lose some...
<shrug>
Cheers... :wink:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 2:26 am

Pepe wrote:
Win some...
Lose some...
<shrug>

Hehe sword sheathed? Too bad, I was wearing my fancy armour.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 2:53 am

Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Win some...
Lose some...
<shrug>

Hehe sword sheathed? Too bad, I was wearing my fancy armour.

It may be intellectual dishonesty to a slight degree, but I tend to "forgive" occasional transgressions by people I like...<wave @ Kraftie and Kraichgauer>
*Sometimes* pure honesty has to take a back seat...<sigh>

I guess it falls into the realm of "lies through omission", but without them, it is virtually impossible to create a connection...<shrug>
I guess I am mellowing with age...finally... :wink:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 3:05 am

Pepe wrote:
It may be intellectual dishonesty to a slight degree, but I tend to "forgive" occasional transgressions by people I like...<wave @ Kraftie and Kraichgauer>

I guess it falls into the realm of "lies through omission", but without them, it is virtually impossible to create a connection...<shrug>

I see. Are you sparing them from your looming verbal decapitation of believers or just me? Because I can take it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 3:17 am

Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I see. Are you sparing them from your looming verbal decapitation of believers or just me? Because I can take it.

I am sparring people in this thread by suggesting we should take this discussion into PM... :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 11:35 am

And you haven't committed "transgressions," Mr. Pepe?