Page 23 of 26 [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 2:24 am

Mythos wrote:
In response to iq as a constituent part of the criminal psyche, I have to disagree rather strongly. Whilst I agree that many criminals face lives involving lawbreaking due to ineptitude, many have to be intelligent to hide their true nature, that behind their own psychological damage.

Petty criminals, ie. thieves, arsonists, abusers, etc. are not usually on the intelligent end because they have no means to survive otherwise, or control their emotions. They can't actively rationalise like most other people on the average end, usually around the 110 mark, and as a result have to turn to deviance.

With that in mind, most sociopaths are marked by high intelligence. This is actually one of the key factors behind the definition, perhaps observed through trend. As a result, I would personally come to the conclusion that most Incel (at least those that are likely to commit mass murders) have to be intelligent enough to hide, plot, and orchestrate such events.

Source, please. I have seen the opposite in the research.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... elligence/

Quote:
Because many psychopaths are charming and manipulative, people have assumed they also have above-average intelligence, says Boutwell. Psychologists term this the “Hannibal Lecter myth”, referring to the fictional serial killer, cannibal and psychiatrist from the book and film The Silence of the Lambs.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2018, 6:06 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Mythos wrote:
In response to iq as a constituent part of the criminal psyche, I have to disagree rather strongly. Whilst I agree that many criminals face lives involving lawbreaking due to ineptitude, many have to be intelligent to hide their true nature, that behind their own psychological damage.

Petty criminals, ie. thieves, arsonists, abusers, etc. are not usually on the intelligent end because they have no means to survive otherwise, or control their emotions. They can't actively rationalise like most other people on the average end, usually around the 110 mark, and as a result have to turn to deviance.

With that in mind, most sociopaths are marked by high intelligence. This is actually one of the key factors behind the definition, perhaps observed through trend. As a result, I would personally come to the conclusion that most Incel (at least those that are likely to commit mass murders) have to be intelligent enough to hide, plot, and orchestrate such events.

Quote:
Because many psychopaths are charming and manipulative, people have assumed they also have above-average intelligence, says Boutwell. Psychologists term this the “Hannibal Lecter myth”, referring to the fictional serial killer, cannibal and psychiatrist from the book and film The Silence of the Lambs.
I really wouldn't personally regard "newscientist" as a reliable source.

The truth is probably more complex than sociopaths being intelligent or above average, but I can imagine most likely are.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2018, 6:17 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Arabic man kills someone: terrorist.

Black and/or Hispanic man kills someone: thug.

White man kills someone: he was mentally ill and we as a society failed him.

:roll:

You're just saying that because you can't understand the suffering of the white man, because of how sheltered from real suffering (you know, the kind incels know and we don't) you are. /s

I tend to view this on a larger scale to include school shootings. The last twat in Texas who shot-up a school shot his "crush" first because she rejected him. A newspaper ran an odious article claiming she embarrassed him when he asked her out, but the real story was that she let him have it in front of a classroom because he had been harassing her for months.

What matters more is mental health, because handling emotion or criticism is important here. If somebody can't get a grip and resolve their own mental state, it can be potentially fatal.

This is part of a trend to blame women for sh_tty male behavior. The cries for "sympathy" for these idiots usually rest on the fact they had a white penis. If they had been anything other than an owner of a white penis, they would have been declared a terrorist or a thug. Furthermore, male violence is not a problem for women to solve. Modern men need to get their sh_t together, and their entitlement in check, and it has nothing to do with women.

It's more a problem for the parents to solve. I've noticed disturbing trends in negligent or abusive mothers who raise future murderers.

And this is absolutely a gendered issue. Frustrated women don't go on killing sprees, and, no, because you can find a few odd examples of a minority of female mass shooters doesn't disprove this. Also, there's this idea that women should be endless fonts of nurturing to include the men that want to kill/maim us. If only we would be nicer to, or more nurturing towards these men, it would fix the issue. This is crap. I repeat: women are not to blame for sh_tty male behaviour.

This is just engendering issues for the sake of it. Until 100% of mass murders are committed by men, women should be held under scrutiny as well. Saying, "Oh there were just one or two female mass murderers, the rest are fine, this doesn't prove anything" is fairly ignorant and is a refusal to accept the fact that women can be harmful and abusive as well.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 7:02 am

It would/will be a Sisyphean task to make men no longer the more aggressive gender. The only way I can really think of to fix that, like I might have mentioned in other threads when I was talking to shlaifu about human tendencies that aren't future oriented, is progressively rake the human genome with CRISPR Cas-9. Part of the problem as well is that male mass murderers are such a small subsection of men that few know who they are, save maybe the FBI (hopefully) catching as many before they go off the rails as possible. There seem to be growing anti-violence programs, I don't know how much they'll do or whether they'll reach the target audience, but I'd absolutely agree that male aggression absolutely has to be channeled or deferred to positive goals because the alternative is disastrous.

As for the 'terrorist' label, that is something that has a litmus test. If we were going to talk about race or names in this respect, a middle eastern man who shot up a place of work because he lost his job and made zero mention of Al Qaeda, ISIS, or anything like that inspiring him would just be a mass shooter. When he invokes Islam his actions cross the line into the ideological. Similarly if a European of Catholic or protestant heritage shoots up a place for political reasons - if he writes that he did it because he hates capitalism, or because he hates all the non-white people he had to work with or, yes, even because he's enshrined some particular tenets of an incel philosophy that enshrines Elliot Rogers as a martyr, he's a terrorist. To that extent Alek Minassian was arguably a terrorist.

I've strongly suggested that the sympathy/empathy difference needs to be sorted out, ie. one can have empathy with zero sympathy (ie. understanding what might have caused a heinous act and still full desire to punish the offender). If it's wise for us to know what kinds of alienation contribute to things like incel killings it's probably just as wise to know what kinds of alienation contribute to young men embracing radical forms of Islam and either going off to join a group like ISIS or performing lone wolf attacks in their own home country. Something's wrong if trying to get a handle on the causes of radicalization and terrorism is a noble goal when it's Islam but ignoble if it relates to incel.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 3:21 pm

Mythos wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

You're just saying that because you can't understand the suffering of the white man, because of how sheltered from real suffering (you know, the kind incels know and we don't) you are. /s

I tend to view this on a larger scale to include school shootings. The last twat in Texas who shot-up a school shot his "crush" first because she rejected him. A newspaper ran an odious article claiming she embarrassed him when he asked her out, but the real story was that she let him have it in front of a classroom because he had been harassing her for months.

What matters more is mental health, because handling emotion or criticism is important here. If somebody can't get a grip and resolve their own mental state, it can be potentially fatal.

This is part of a trend to blame women for sh_tty male behavior. The cries for "sympathy" for these idiots usually rest on the fact they had a white penis. If they had been anything other than an owner of a white penis, they would have been declared a terrorist or a thug. Furthermore, male violence is not a problem for women to solve. Modern men need to get their sh_t together, and their entitlement in check, and it has nothing to do with women.

It's more a problem for the parents to solve. I've noticed disturbing trends in negligent or abusive mothers who raise future murderers.

And this is absolutely a gendered issue. Frustrated women don't go on killing sprees, and, no, because you can find a few odd examples of a minority of female mass shooters doesn't disprove this. Also, there's this idea that women should be endless fonts of nurturing to include the men that want to kill/maim us. If only we would be nicer to, or more nurturing towards these men, it would fix the issue. This is crap. I repeat: women are not to blame for sh_tty male behaviour.

This is just engendering issues for the sake of it. Until 100% of mass murders are committed by men, women should be held under scrutiny as well. Saying, "Oh there were just one or two female mass murderers, the rest are fine, this doesn't prove anything" is fairly ignorant and is a refusal to accept the fact that women can be harmful and abusive as well.

It absolutely is a gendered issue. Women don't commit these crimes on the same scale that men do. Men pull this crap at significantly higher rates.

And nice try trying to once again blame women by pointing at the mothers.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 5:36 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

And this is absolutely a gendered issue. Frustrated women don't go on killing sprees, and, no, because you can find a few odd examples of a minority of female mass shooters doesn't disprove this. Also, there's this idea that women should be endless fonts of nurturing to include the men that want to kill/maim us. If only we would be nicer to, or more nurturing towards these men, it would fix the issue. This is crap. I repeat: women are not to blame for sh_tty male behavior.

Thank you for saying this, and I completely agree.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2018, 1:03 pm

Mythos wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Mythos wrote:

Quote:

The truth is probably more complex than sociopaths being intelligent or above average, but I can imagine most likely are.

Well, science is whatever you imagine, right? Sources! Who needs them?

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2018, 11:22 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
Mythos wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

It absolutely is a gendered issue. Women don't commit these crimes on the same scale that men do. Men pull this crap at significantly higher rates.

So I guess it doesn't matter when people die due to a woman's doing, just so long as we can push the belief that women are faultless. Higher rates doesn't mean much to me. It sure as Hell doesn't mean much to the individual families affected.

so you disagree that social issues begin at home, from the source? Doesn't matter if they're women or men, it's the parents that can sometimes trigger these potential issues. Not always, but in particular circumstances this has been the case. In particular circumstances, it has been a mother. In other circumstances, it has been the father.

Also, is it OK to blame men 100% of the time but never OK to blame women?

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2018, 11:29 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Mythos wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Mythos wrote:

Quote:

Well, science is whatever you imagine, right? Sources! Who needs them?
Just saying, Newscientist doesn't sound reliable to me. You might be right.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 2:15 pm

Mythos wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2118547-real-life-psychopaths-actually-have-below-average-intelligence/
Just saying, Newscientist doesn't sound reliable to me. You might be right.

Snipped

The article itself cites various peer-reviewed journals, but I can't link to them.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 5:32 pm

Mythos wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Mythos wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

So I guess it doesn't matter when people die due to a woman's doing, just so long as we can push the belief that women are faultless. Higher rates doesn't mean much to me. It sure as Hell doesn't mean much to the individual families affected.

so you disagree that social issues begin at home, from the source? Doesn't matter if they're women or men, it's the parents that can sometimes trigger these potential issues. Not always, but in particular circumstances this has been the case. In particular circumstances, it has been a mother. In other circumstances, it has been the father.

It's 100% okay to blame men when men commit violence.

If a woman goes on a shooting rampage, I'll gladly hold her accountable instead of looking for a man to blame.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 5:35 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

And this is absolutely a gendered issue. Frustrated women don't go on killing sprees, and, no, because you can find a few odd examples of a minority of female mass shooters doesn't disprove this. Also, there's this idea that women should be endless fonts of nurturing to include the men that want to kill/maim us. If only we would be nicer to, or more nurturing towards these men, it would fix the issue. This is crap. I repeat: women are not to blame for sh_tty male behavior.

Thank you for saying this, and I completely agree.

Thanks. I get tired of people trying to blame sh_tty male behavior on women, or calling for sympathy for these incel f_ckwits on the basis that men's feelings are more important than women's lives.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2018, 9:25 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Mythos wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Mythos wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

If a woman goes on a shooting rampage, I'll gladly hold her accountable instead of looking for a man to blame.
That's understandable but I think you're oversimplifying the issues and creating false dichotomies. The cause of shootings I can be fairly certain is a complicated mix of many factors, inherited and environmental.

Blaming the parent is not shifting the blame to another gender. Generally, the gender of the parent is irrelevant. The reason I used a mother as an example was to show that it is possible for a woman to also be involved in the cause. For example, if they were abusive or negligent. But if we ignore that, because of their gender, then we ignore key roles involved in the development of an aggressive psychology. The gender doesn't matter in this case, what matters is the role they played.

The same goes for abusive fathers in the development of an aggressive woman growing up. This is another example of two genders interacting to form what a quick judgement would believe to be a single gender.

The reason I claim a false dichotomy is that just because another gender is being blamed, doesn't mean the other is faultless. If I suggest a mother may have played a role, that doesn't mean the attacker as a male is faultless. It means we draw a conclusion not based on presumptions about singular genders but as a system in the bigger picture.

Ultimately, it comes down to the complexity of psychology as a field, as a whole. For example, schizophrenia is not well understood due to the fact that many can't yet pin down precisely if the development is inherited (as in a genetic cause) or environmental (via trauma, sometimes coupled with PTSD).

So to separate issues by gender seems to be categorisation forced for no reason other than to point fingers and lay blame, and distracts from the real probable causes of the issues; gun laws and poor mental health care.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2018, 9:31 pm

Ugh I hate these type of men. I say burn them all! :D

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:19 pm

Sarcasm noted, but it also underscores that simplicity and truth don't always get along.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:46 pm

Mythos wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Mythos wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Mythos wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

That's understandable but I think you're oversimplifying the issues and creating false dichotomies. The cause of shootings I can be fairly certain is a complicated mix of many factors, inherited and environmental.

Blaming the parent is not shifting the blame to another gender. Generally, the gender of the parent is irrelevant. The reason I used a mother as an example was to show that it is possible for a woman to also be involved in the cause. For example, if they were abusive or negligent. But if we ignore that, because of their gender, then we ignore key roles involved in the development of an aggressive psychology. The gender doesn't matter in this case, what matters is the role they played.

The same goes for abusive fathers in the development of an aggressive woman growing up. This is another example of two genders interacting to form what a quick judgement would believe to be a single gender.

The reason I claim a false dichotomy is that just because another gender is being blamed, doesn't mean the other is faultless. If I suggest a mother may have played a role, that doesn't mean the attacker as a male is faultless. It means we draw a conclusion not based on presumptions about singular genders but as a system in the bigger picture.

Ultimately, it comes down to the complexity of psychology as a field, as a whole. For example, schizophrenia is not well understood due to the fact that many can't yet pin down precisely if the development is inherited (as in a genetic cause) or environmental (via trauma, sometimes coupled with PTSD).

So to separate issues by gender seems to be categorisation forced for no reason other than to point fingers and lay blame, and distracts from the real probable causes of the issues; gun laws and poor mental health care.

But if gender is not a factor then why don't women go on spree shootings and men do? Like 99.99% of all mass shootings are committed by men. Surely this is an important factor to consider, if it weren't then just as many shootings would be carried out by women. The fact that women don't mass/spree murder the way some men do is definitely relevant to this discussion about mass/spree killer terrorists. It would be stupid NOT to mention that it's men and not women doing the vast majority of the murdering in these scenarios.