Page 2 of 14 [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 6:04 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I hate the one about the Vikings not really wearing horns. But only because I wish they did because it would have looked cool.

Other ancient people wore horned helmets though.

Ancient Celts wore horned helmets sometimes. Ancient Cypriots wore them too.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 6:14 pm

These are both great ones. Thanks.

NewTime wrote:
"Centuries ago everyone dropped dead at 40"

In the olden days, the average human lifespan was short because the infant mortality rate was so high ... but people who lived into adulthood typically lived what we would call normal lifespans. In other words, prehistoric humans who reached adulthood would typically go on living until around eighty or perhaps longer.

Quote:
"Charles Darwin started the idea of evolution" The idea of evolution existed long before Charles Darwin was around. He just added to the understanding of it.

Yep.

I've always found that odd. People have been selectively breeding animals for centuries and yet nobody thought of natural selection until Darwin came along.

I just find it odd how such sensible truth remained concealed for so long ... especially given that the Ancient Spartans practiced eugenics long before Darwin.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 8:42 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I hate the one about the Vikings not really wearing horns. But only because I wish they did because it would have looked cool.

Yeah. I was also disappointed to learn that they didn't really have horns on their helmets, nor those little pairs of eagle wings coming out the sides either. That all came from Nineteenth Century opera: they would have the Valhalla gods done up in horned helmets or eagle winged helmets when they put on Wagner's operatic renditions of the ancient Germanic myths.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 9:13 am

"Prostitution is the world's oldest profession."

Nope. The oldest profession is medicine. Prostitution didn't even exist in North America until white people showed up.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 1:53 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Nope. The oldest profession is medicine. Prostitution didn't even exist in North America until white people showed up.

So you don’t think all throughout time that there existed women trading sex for money or goods? North America isn’t the world.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 2:08 pm

sly279 wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

So you don’t think all throughout time that there existed women trading sex for money or goods? North America isn’t the world.

Prehistoric humans shared everything, making prostitution unnecessary.

Prostitution probably came into existence during the Neolithic Revolution. Specialized medics existed long before then.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 6:22 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Prehistoric humans shared everything, making prostitution unnecessary.

Not always by choice.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:01 am

Barbarians destroyed the Roman Empire.

The Eastern Roman Empire, or Byzantium, lasted another thousand years. The western empire was well on its way to severe decline even before the Barbarians occupied imperial territory. If anything, the line between Barbarian and Roman blurred, and the incoming Barbarians in many cases kept Roman institutions alive.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 3:45 pm

Lately, I have been watching a lot of videos by Thersites the Historian. He's one of the best people on YouTube right now and I highly recommend checking out his content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClHybiqQOzR8kUpg5BbnjdQ

From his videos, I have learned a lot about the Crusades. There is a huge difference between the real crusades, and the right-wing version of what happened.

Right-Wing History: Those barbaric Muslims took Jerusalem from the Byzantine Empire! Heroic crusaders took it back! DEUS VULT!
Reality: Back in those days, the Christians were the barbarians, since the Muslims were more highly educated and more technologically advanced. The Crusaders were not that noble. They were highly disorganized. The Crusaders often murdered Jews when they were on their way to the Holy Land. Innocent Middle Eastern civilians were often killed in the Crusades, and many of the innocent civilians that were killed were Christian. After all, Christianity was tolerated in the Islamic world at the time. Not all of the crusades were successful, and the Christian Europeans generally blamed the Jews after an unsuccessful crusade. The successful crusades resulted in the creation of Middle Eastern Crusader States, which did not last long as they were highly dysfunctional.

Meanwhile, during the Crusade era, medieval Christians were also murdering innocent European polytheists around the Baltic region.

Also, the glorification of the Crusades is incompatible with Zionism. The Crusaders weren't trying to give Jerusalem back to the Jews. They were just trying to take it for themselves.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 5:20 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Lately, I have been watching a lot of videos by Thersites the Historian. He's one of the best people on YouTube right now and I highly recommend checking out his content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClHybiqQOzR8kUpg5BbnjdQ

From his videos, I have learned a lot about the Crusades. There is a huge difference between the real crusades, and the right-wing version of what happened.

Right-Wing History: Those barbaric Muslims took Jerusalem from the Byzantine Empire! Heroic crusaders took it back! DEUS VULT!
Reality: Back in those days, the Christians were the barbarians, since the Muslims were more highly educated and more technologically advanced. The Crusaders were not that noble. They were highly disorganized. The Crusaders often murdered Jews when they were on their way to the Holy Land. Innocent Middle Eastern civilians were often killed in the Crusades, and many of the innocent civilians that were killed were Christian. After all, Christianity was tolerated in the Islamic world at the time. Not all of the crusades were successful, and the Christian Europeans generally blamed the Jews after an unsuccessful crusade. The successful crusades resulted in the creation of Middle Eastern Crusader States, which did not last long as they were highly dysfunctional.

Meanwhile, during the Crusade era, medieval Christians were also murdering innocent European polytheists around the Baltic region.

Also, the glorification of the Crusades is incompatible with Zionism. The Crusaders weren't trying to give Jerusalem back to the Jews. They were just trying to take it for themselves.

To summarise,

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 5:31 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

LOLOLOLOL Since when is "North America", the "world", no.1; and no.2, one could argue, IMO, that prostitution is a manipulation, and/or "business deal"----and, if you think Adam didn't take one look at Eve, and think: "If I eat that apple, I get THAT!!", I feel sorry for ya!! LOLOLOL

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 5:38 pm

sly279 wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

EXACTLY!! Don't waste your breath Sly (I should've just told this to myself - LOL); you can't duel an unarmed person. He thinks his purpose on WP (and, maybe in life [LOL]) is to save us from our ignorance, because no one could know anything, but him, because someone told him he was "special"! LOLOLOL

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 7:52 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
LOLOLOLOL Since when is "North America", the "world", no.1; and no.2, one could argue, IMO, that prostitution is a manipulation, and/or "business deal"----and, if you think Adam didn't take one look at Eve, and think: "If I eat that apple, I get THAT!!", I feel sorry for ya!! LOLOLOL

Are you seriously arguing that a woman is a prostitute when she falls for a man who impresses her?

Prostitution is a system in which a woman needs to have sex with men that she does not like because she'll starve otherwise. This didn't exist during prehistory because people shared everything back then.

Adam and Eve never existed. That's mythology.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 7:56 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
EXACTLY!! Don't waste your breath Sly (I should've just told this to myself - LOL); you can't duel an unarmed person. He thinks his purpose on WP (and, maybe in life [LOL]) is to save us from our ignorance, because no one could know anything, but him, because someone told him he was "special"! LOLOLOL

Most conservatives believe that they are saving people from their ignorance. The difference is that they are wrong and I am right.

Isn't everyone special? Isn't that just common sense?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 8:05 pm

LOLOLOL I've had a fabulous week, and just KNEW it couldn't get any better----until..... LOLOLOL

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 10:52 pm

I'm also starting to hate it when old Nordic people are portrayed unfairly as evil brutes.

Facts About The Old Norse:

- Not all Nordic people were Vikings. Viking is not an ethnic group. It is an occupation.
- Vikings did not always pillage. Sometimes they just engaged in trade and exploration.
- Viking raids and conquest were not common until the Middle Ages.
- Nordic women were allowed to own land. Nordic society was somewhat progressive in this regard.
- There was a strong emphasis on hospitality in old Nordic culture.