Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 4:54 pm

Abe Rothman

Quote:
Americans born in 1996 or after are known as “Generation Z.” Over the past couple of years, there’s been much speculation that Gen Z would emerge as a robustly conservative voting group. We saw headlines such as, “Why the generation after millennials will vote Republican,” and “Why Democrats Should Be Losing Sleep Over Generation Z.” And it was all wrong.

A new Pew Research Center study shows that on a host of issues, from climate change to American exceptionalism to the role of government, Gen Z is the most liberal age cohort the country has ever seen. What’s more, Gen Z Republicans are pretty liberal, too.

According to Pew, seven-in-ten members of Gen Z say that the government should do more to solve problems. Six-in-ten believe that forms asking about a person’s gender should include more options than “man” and “woman.” Fifty-seven percent say they’re comfortable referring to someone by a gender-neutral pronoun. Six-in-10 approve of the NFL national anthem protests. Fifty-four percent say climate change is linked to human activity. Thirty percent say there are other countries better than the United States.

On all these questions, Gen Z’s answers make them more liberal than Millennials, Generation X-ers, Boomers, and members of the Silent Generation. And those members of Gen Z who are self-proclaimed Republicans diverge sharply from older Republicans on a number of issues. They are more likely to believe that African-Americans are treated unfairly in the U.S., more likely to embrace diversity, and more likely to see climate change as manmade.

The report states: “Roughly half (52%) of Gen Z Republicans say they think the government should be doing more to solve problems, compared with 38% of Millennial Republicans and 29% of Gen Xers. About a quarter of Republican Baby Boomers (23%) and fewer GOP Silents (12%) believe the government should be doing more.”

In the end, it seems fairly straightforward. The culture has been drifting leftward for decades, and it’s logical that an ever more progressive culture would make for ever more progressive youth cohorts. In keeping with the old adage about being liberal at 20 and conservative at 40, perhaps Generation Z will come to embrace the stodgy values of their Millennial elders when they hit middle age.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 11:36 pm

They don't pay taxes yet.

Everything changes when someone wants YOUR MONEY to fund their liberal fancies.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2019, 11:40 pm

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2019, 12:18 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

Generation Z, Born on Date Since 1996 up to 23 Years Old now Raised
Electronically More than Any Generation Before in a Brand New Experiment;
Where they are Both the Scientists and The Guinea Pigs as only they will Fully
Relate How they do or do not See the World as is. Look in the Church Pews and overall
This Generation No Longer Exists for the Conservative Skewed Politics Spoon-Fed from the Pulpit
Will no Longer Be there to Lead the Way as the Internet has as Many Sub-Cultures and Group Identity Politics
As the Human Imagination Will Create Together in Groups as Small as one where it is Basically A Group Identity
of one that Verily not everyone is cut out to do, so watch for Suicide Rates to continue to Grow too; Particularly,
Among Women Who Naturally Need 'the Group' for Social Support More than Nomad Testosterone Fueled Males
Will Travel Lone in Wild Wolf Ways Free; the so-called 'Real Men' at least. Politics is Changing Fast and Furious as
We speak and That is Part of a Generation of Guinea Pigs and Scientists Same as well as folks gathering 'the Tools'
if they Like to Stay Engaged, if they are not addicted to games of 'Candy Crush'. Thing is, we are Human Beings;
There is no escaping the Social Animal of that for when Humans in Social Groups do not Bond over
Similar Ideologies, Dark or Light, they fall apart as Hairless Apes are Naturally so much Stronger now
in Whatever Common Binds come as Bonds more than any Individual Striving for Survival on the Average
Will Ever Be as for most folks, Being Disconnected from Flesh and Blood either means Life as Death or Death as Life;
As the Neon God's come to Rule as the 'God MeMe' Dies more in Imagination Real in the Sound of Silence lonely i am is.
Disturbing it
is for those
who have
Yet to
'Self Actualize'
And for those Who
Have And Are Financially
Independent; Prepare the
Popcorn and watch 'the others' Hang on
to the Surfboard and what will surely be
Continuing TSuNaMi Waves of Chaos beyond the 'control' of most folks at least,
Except for the 'Guinea Pigs' Who Overcome 'the Scientist Within' And Set themselves Free....

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2019, 12:23 am

Like many Millenials, they entered the job market in the wake of the worst economic downturn in 80 years, brought on by under-regulation of the financial industry--something championed by free market capitalists. If they go to college, they can expect to be paying off student loans for years and years because a free college education (even from public schools) is treated as some fringe European concept. If they didn't go to college, they can expect to be underpaid and find their job opportunities increasingly limited as lower-skill jobs become more scarce with the rise of automation and outsourcing to cheaper labor markets. Organized labor in the US continues to weaken, so blue collar Americans have yet another factor diminishing their job security.
Since the neo-liberal revolution of the 80's, income inequality has gone up, not down. Trickle down economics has failed as the wealthy do whatever they can to keep the trickling from their pockets to a minimum. The list goes on and on. And that doesn't even cover social issues, where conservatives have already been in retreat for decades.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2019, 5:51 am

There's plenty of Generation Z who are now getting into redpill, mgtow and ethno-nationalism. The thing conservatives have to fear from Gen Z is not that they'll be 100% liberal but that the right wings ones won't be the old fashioned kind of right wing.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 6:12 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
There's plenty of Generation Z who are now getting into redpill, mgtow and ethno-nationalism. The thing conservatives have to fear from Gen Z is not that they'll be 100% liberal but that the right wings ones won't be the old fashioned kind of right wing.

I would actually agree with the first two parts of what you say. Many people I talk to nowadays take most of their political knowledge and information from Youtube. On that forum, there is an abundance of anti-left wing content, which mainly focuses on social and cultural issues.

I wouldn't say all that many are getting into Ethno-Nationalism. That is a bridge too far and goes too far in mislabelling conservatives. However fascistic types of views are gaining more prominence, in particular, the idea of racial-realism which is different from supporting ethnonationalism. There is an increasingly large amount of formerly old school conservatives who have unwittingly opened themselves up to the idea that certain races might be smarter than others.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 6:58 am

I hope it’s not a tsunami. I hope it’s more like a babbling brook.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 7:33 am

I don't think 'progressive' is necessarily bad on its own, it depends on quality (quality being nuanced take on both markets and government rather than saying one good the other bad in a knee-jerk fashion).

Hopefully we've accrued enough lessons and hard knocks politically across the world in the last couple centuries and there'll be enough avid readers in that generation to clear the floor for better ideas. It's not impossible that they could get choked out by despair, just that... well... the 2020's will be their time to be coming into adulthood and if the west ends up in precipitous decline by that point one would think that they and younger millenials alike would fight tooth and nail to stop that decline - ie. it's their lives and their future more than anyone else's.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin