What's the political climate like in the UK right now?

Page 8 of 41 [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 41  Next

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 11:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wonder if many people went down to Brighton, and even went in the water?

I would imagine Brighton was very busy on Sunday. Never been there myself, the beach doesn't interest me as it is just stones but Brighton itself is meant to be a pretty interesting place. Lots of narrow little streets with independent shops and craft work type places.

for nice beaches it's all about West Wittering on the south cost and Little Haven/Broad Haven in Pembrokeshire for me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 1:16 pm

Yep. Been to Brighton. Interesting place. Lots of nice, old architecture on the main drag.

I know what you mean about stony beaches. We have those on the North Shore of Long Island, too. Not for the "faint of feet."

I've seen people in the water at Brighton----but I'm probably too "faint of heart" to go in the water there even during summer, since the water temperature is probably about 15 Celsius or so even in high summer.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 2:05 pm

In the mid 1980s I decided I would never go in the water around the British Isles again without wearing a wetsuit.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Feb 2019, 7:34 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I wonder if many people went down to Brighton, and even went in the water?

I would imagine Brighton was very busy on Sunday. Never been there myself, the beach doesn't interest me as it is just stones but Brighton itself is meant to be a pretty interesting place. Lots of narrow little streets with independent shops and craft work type places.

for nice beaches it's all about West Wittering on the south cost and Little Haven/Broad Haven in Pembrokeshire for me!

Dad? Is that you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 7:45 pm

Anybody ever go from Soho down to Brighton, and savoured both?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 8:37 pm

Whoah, whoah, whoah. What's going on here? :!: :x
This is supposed to be the PPR forum, isn't it? :evil:

The worst insult that's been traded has been an accusation of being a few pastries short of a picnic, there are no quotes nested more than a couple of levels deep, no links to conspiracy-theory videos, and worst of all, it has degenerated into a discussion of the weather and recommendations for nice beaches. How on earth do you expect to get the thread locked if you carry on like that?!

It hasn't escaped my attention that most posters in the thread have been British. Now, I understand that this might make the social rules of PPR a bit mystifying at first; but there are plenty of good examples from which you can learn to polarise the debate, rant incoherently, insult each other, trade threats of reporting people, derail the thread with your favourite bugbear, use political terminology without knowing what it means (pretend if you have to), and so on.

Tsk, tsk; some people just have no respect for tradition around here these days! :mrgreen: :lol:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 8:50 pm

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 8:52 pm

Are the beaches in Cornwall sandy?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 9:27 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

Exactly! Firm, unshakeable beliefs, that's what PPR should be made of.

For example; and to drive towards the most controversial part of the debate - I will not be shaken from my belief that it should be pronounced "Brek-sit"; not that abomination, "Breg-zit". This is inescapable; as otherwise, it would not be so amusing to Northerners for whom the tag-line of the poster is pronounced exactly like "Just Breaks It" (or "Brek'sit" in Central-Eastern-Northernese.) :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie wrote:

There are some cracking beaches in Cornwall - everything from long, wide stretches (mostly the North), to small coves isolated by cliffs (mostly the South), some sandy, and some great for rock-pools. I highly recommend it if you're at all a sea-side person.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2019, 1:57 am

SaveFerris wrote:

She doesn't believe in it, she's a remainer and has intentionally sabotaged the process.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2019, 2:19 am

Personally I find the beaches in Northumberland the best... miles and miles of golden sand and hardly anyone there. Can't guarantee the weather though. I think Cornwall has sandy beaches, haven't been there for years though.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2019, 3:34 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, very much so. My family are from Cornwall (that's Kernow in cornish) so I have spent a fair bit of time down there. Some of my favourite parts of the UK down there, I would urge anyone visiting the UK to get down the westcountry if they have the time, nice slow quiet pace of life, it's like going back in time in some parts.

https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/best-beaches-in-cornwall

The walk from Lands End down to Sennen is wonderful.

This is the little beach at the back of the cliffs in the village my family are from. It's a really quiet areas and you have to clamber over some rocks to get down there but it's so quiet it's like having your own private beach. Spent many years running across those fields as a kid to get down there. You can stand up on the cliffs and see basking sharks, seals and dolphins too.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2019, 4:35 am

anyway, this is all far too pleasant for the politics thread!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2019, 7:54 am

JohnPowell wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

She doesn't believe in it, she's a remainer and has intentionally sabotaged the process.

Sorry JP , you have me mistaken for someone who you can have a serious debate about politics with. :twisted:

My views are very biased against the C*ntservatives so I try to stay out of any discussion.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Feb 2019, 5:31 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

You think she's deliberately sabotaged the process, and in the process her legacy, despite her actively alienating the remainers in her party and successfully presenting a hard Brexit deal that achieves all her stated aims to Parliament? What do you base that opinion on?

She's not an idiot - she knows Brexit is bad for Britain. But she's desperate for it to be as "least bad" for Britain as it can be, and is worried about civil unrest if her Hard Brexit doesn't get through. A committed remainer wouldn't be pushing for Hard Brexit, they'd probably be pushing for a Soft Brexit or even no Brexit at all. No doubt May would be much more popular if she was a committed remainer!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2019, 2:49 am

The whole 'it's a sabotage!' thing is a very uninformed way of looking at this process, in fact it's verging on being childish.