Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 8:15 pm

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that there has been a decline in the frequency and intensity of new "Doomsday" prophesies over the last few years?

There are the usual conspiracy theories, predictions of global war and economic collapse, warnings of pandemics and world-wide famine, but what happened to all of the faith-based prophesies that declared the exact date of the Apocalypse, the Second Coming, Armageddon, the Arrival of The Beast (and his unlucky number), and so forth?

It used to be that you could count on two or three people each year using a mish-mash of Astrology, Bibliomancy, and Numerology to arrive at an exact date, but no one has come forth to announce anything so drastic as The End Of The World As We Know It.

:roll: ... all together now "... And I Feel Fine!"

You could count on verse-by-verse descriptions of the future history of the End Times that were so badly contrived and convoluted that no one but the writer could make any sense of them. You could also count on "Preppers" selling everything from canned food to arms and ammunition at jacked-up prices to unwary and superstitious believers of every stripe. But none of that is happening.

So what do you think is going on? Have we been spared? Are we doomed?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 8:25 pm

I believe the world will definitely end one day. If nothing else the sun is destined to grow larger and swallow any planets that are close to it including Earth but we humans may be extinct long before that happens.

I think the funny thing about us humans is that we have always known that our world was going to end since the beginning of human history but we don't know exactly how it will play out or when it will happen. Then you have all these self-proclaimed doomsday prophets who make predictions but these predictions never come true.

But humans instinctively know that the whole world WILL end some day. :skull:

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 12:38 am

Quote:
This is the way the world shall end,
Not with a bang, but a whimper.—T. S. Eliot

According to Scripture, “Only the Father knows the date of the end.” It will come “like a thief in the night.” “There will be wars and rumors of wars.”

Personally, the end is closer than we think. The AntiChrist is already here. He sits in Washington, DC, like he and his cohorts have done for the past 117 years. He and his cohorts also sit in Rome, the Eternal city, for the past 2 millennia.

Yes, I’ve been hearing this from the fringe evangelical theologans from literally the day I was born, 61 years ago. There’s no arguing with then, as they’re ALWAYS right about everything, and everyone else is always WRONG!

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 1:19 am

I think our existence is akin to being in something like a gigantic quantum-video-game; The «prophecies» I see as merely a misunderstood phenomenon of someone having access to «glimpses» of various «movie-endings» or «video-game endings» and their attention being over-focused on one particular scenario; as I see it, each «scenario» is simply a «possibility» that is meant to show what could happen, depending upon the choices made by humanity as a collective-whole, where the worst-case scenarios are the result if everybody on earth were to do the wrong and corrupt things, and the best-case-scenarios result if everybody were completely benign.

Historically, the collective-decisions tend to be a mix, and, therefore, during times when most people were making negative decisions, the «dooms-day» scenarios may have mostly came true, but not entirely; and for times when most people were being righteously benign, much of the «best-case-scenarios» may have ended up happening, even if not completely (so those «predictions» about «flying cars» not being a current reality or proliferated cures for cancer and other such «incurable» diseases having endless «scientific-breakthroughs» must possibly mean that there are many more people who need to start making better decisions for the sake of everyone's futures).

This should make sense to you as a fellow video-gamer. The difference between those «prophets» and Me is that I actually recognise that those so-called «visions» are merely this game's holographic-projections. I have more of a PC (Player-Character) perspective whilst those guys were more like NPCs with limited paradigm. Now feel free to insert any «this guy is cuckoo» meme here for calling myself a so-called modern-day prophet.

Fnord wrote:
So what do you think is going on? Have we been spared? Are we doomed?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 4:32 am

The are not.

Not silent.

Only two pages back here in the PPR section of WP a certain WP member named Edward Palamar was thumping the Bible about the coming end of the world on Dec. 29 of this year.

Women's skirt hemlines go up and down. Mens tie get wider and narrower, and end of the world prophecies go through cycles of being in and out of vogue. And we have not even had enough of a hiatus in the current wave of millennialism yet to even call it a hiatus yet anyway.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 4:54 am

Evidence of climate change and its predicted effects on human life and civilization strongly suggest that life as we know it will end in the foreseeable future, due to factors that can easily be corroborated by science. So we don't really need religion any more.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 7:45 am

You don't even have to be religious to know that the world is going to end because there are scientific facts that prove that there are so many things that can and will potentially destroy us one day.

Like the sun thing I mentioned, but also global warming, nuclear war, the depletion of all our natural resources due to the ever growing human population, giant comets and asteroids hitting earth, etc.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 8:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:
... Only two pages back here in the PPR section of WP a certain WP member named Edward Palamar was thumping the Bible about the coming end of the world on Dec. 29 of this year...
Yeah, I helped squash his apostasy, and I fully intend to bump that thread on the day after his prophesy fails to come true.

But where are the others? Like I said, there is usually two or three at any given time blasting out the details of their "research" and claiming with absolute certainty that The End Of The World will happen on one very specific date.

Maybe the Beast in the Oval Office has sent them down into their survival shelters ... maybe for good ... ?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 9:35 am

I still remember Y2K. My cousin played a pretty funny prank on us by flipping the breaker in our house right after the countdown to New Years. :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 10:15 am

God fakes us out.

As long as there is a steady stream of folks crying that the end is neigh, and on a particular soon to arrive date we can all rest assured that …. the end is far away.

But if there is a sudden silence about it then...... 8O... that means for sure..... that we really are all DOOMED!! !! !

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 10:10 am

I think that if there are fewer doomsday prophets at this time, it is because they are too busy preparing for the real doomsday; the doomsday clock being closer to midnight now, I believe, than it ever has been. If I think about it too much, which I try not to, I am terrified about how unstable the world has become.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 10:34 am

Ask yourself: has this world ever been stable? We humans have always had problems that seemed like they were going to wipe us all out like wars and plagues and pollution and all that good stuff. :mrgreen:

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 11:26 am

They're still out there, they're just not 'en vogue' at the moment and so they have no audience thus you're not hearing about their bogus predictions. Then there's also the popular doomsday prophecy you're not considering because it's so widely read it's skipped over: the Book of Revelation.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 12:32 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Then there's also the popular doomsday prophecy you're not considering because it's so widely read it's skipped over: the Book of Revelation.

The Book of Revelations is not skipped over at all. Quite the contrary. The problem with it is that is not an example of what we are talking about: a prophecy of doom in our own time. Unless you apply heavy duty interpretation to it to shoehorn it into our time.

And thats exactly what most end times prophets in Christendom have done for the last 2000 years:refer to the book of revelations and try to prove that it applies to the doomsayers own generation.

And the recent wave of doomsayers are no exception. They all base their prophecies largely on the Book of Revalations.

In truth the Book of Revelations was probably political code about its own time in the First Century.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 29 Sep 2018, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 12:48 pm

Seems kinda pointless when you have the UN delegates laughing at Trump.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 1:34 pm

Secular humanists are picking up the reigns in their place.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin