Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 5:11 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
sly279 wrote:
States are usually added in pairs so what other area will be a state? Maybe we can split Northern California and southern Oregon off?

Split Californias? Yes, please.

Quote:
Californians likely will vote in November on a long-shot referendum to split their giant state into three – a measure that, while standing little chance of success, would represent a political gift to Democrats.

Such a California breakup would upset the political balance in the Senate if it actually happened, and hurt the GOP.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/califo ... -in-senate
the split I’m talking about is where the conservative areas split off in which case they’d get two senate seats and so many representatives. Which means the gop would benefit more importantly the conservative north wouldn’t have to be told what to do by liberals on the coast who don’t give two s**ts about the people up there besides stealing their resources

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 5:17 pm

sly279 wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
sly279 wrote:
States are usually added in pairs so what other area will be a state? Maybe we can split Northern California and southern Oregon off?

Split Californias? Yes, please.

Quote:
Californians likely will vote in November on a long-shot referendum to split their giant state into three – a measure that, while standing little chance of success, would represent a political gift to Democrats.

Such a California breakup would upset the political balance in the Senate if it actually happened, and hurt the GOP.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/califo ... -in-senate
the split I’m talking about is where the conservative areas split off in which case they’d get two senate seats and so many representatives. Which means the gop would benefit more importantly the conservative north wouldn’t have to be told what to do by liberals on the coast who don’t give two s**ts about the people up there besides stealing their resources

Yeah there is no scenario in which that happens.

Some Conservatives somehow believe it will because they don't know how California is broken up. The two Californias leads to two major blue states, the three Californias - as even reported by FOX (to prevent a GOP car crash of epic happy proportions) - leads to two major blue states and one leaning blue state. This is because California is a hot bed for cities that would be split off and become the hubs of the different Californias. San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, etc. don't all fall within one spot.

So, by all means, please - please - please - get all Conservatives you know to make that switch since all of us liberals would be giddy as s**t! :mrgreen:

If you're talking about some imaginary scenario in which Oregon and part of California merge - yeah, not gonna happen. States don't merge due to having largely different state politics. (unless as I originally read, Oregon is a different matter)

So the only game is California and any way reds try to break it down - we win. :D So, as said, please do it. If it was an actually intelligent idea for the GOP - Fox News wouldn't be treating it like Conservatives self-destructing.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 6:36 pm

What happened to Calexit?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 6:39 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Apparently, I believe, conservative Californians went from wanting to split in two (which would have resulted in two major blue states) to wanting to split in three (which will result in two major blue states and one leaning blue state) and they're to vote on it soon.

Personally, I'd love for Conservatives to self-destruct. As said, even FOX NEWS, is warning Conservatives not to do it. But, if they shoot themselves in the foot like that one Trumpster did a while ago (literally) - a big thank you to all of them. :mrgreen:

The key thing that they keep forgetting is the California is filled with cities and they're all spread out, so any way it's cut it results in numerous New York states. There's outliers, but the left leaning areas are so populated they out-number everyone else.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 7:07 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Apparently, I believe, conservative Californians went from wanting to split in two (which would have resulted in two major blue states) to wanting to split in three (which will result in two major blue states and one leaning blue state) and they're to vote on it soon.

Personally, I'd love for Conservatives to self-destruct. As said, even FOX NEWS, is warning Conservatives not to do it. But, if they shoot themselves in the foot like that one Trumpster did a while ago (literally) - a big thank you to all of them. :mrgreen:

The key thing that they keep forgetting is the California is filled with cities and they're all spread out, so any way it's cut it results in numerous New York states. There's outliers, but the left leaning areas are so populated they out-number everyone else.

Wasn’t it about seceding from the U.S. completely?

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 7:31 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Wasn’t it about seceding from the U.S. completely?

California, to my knowledge, was always just splitting apart.

Seceding was a different state, but I forgot which one it was. I do remember it was conservative motivated and it was one of the, if not thee, first to try this before the civil war as well. It was a small state though that'd never survive on its own which is why all liberals mocked it and conservatives laughed at it too. Forgot which state it was, but it was never taken seriously. To narrow it down- a Confederate state.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 8:27 pm

Don't know which state you're talking about that wanted to secede in recent times. But there was a movement in Texas a few years ago to make Texas back into the separate nation it briefly was back in the 1840's. We had a thread about it a few years ago. I suggested I that thread that the Texans should form an alliance with the Quebecois against the big bad Toronto and Washington central governments. :lol:

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Don't know which state you're talking about that wanted to secede in recent times. But there was a movement in Texas a few years ago to make Texas back into the separate nation it briefly was back in the 1840's. We had a thread about it a few years ago. I suggested I that thread that the Texans should form an alliance with the Quebecois against the big bad Toronto and Washington central governments. :lol:

My suggestion is that Texas needs to stay in the Union -- kick California, New York, and Illinois out instead.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 9:34 pm

kokopelli wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

My suggestion is that Texas needs to stay in the Union -- kick California, New York, and Illinois out instead.

Texas was never in the true Union. It’s a Confederate state. Confederate ideology is a poison upon this country that has led to everything evil that has happened since this country was first funded. Should state not everyone in Texas thinks this way, Austin is awesome, Dallas is too - but way too many for comfort. New York, California, and Illinois were always Union and whooped Texas’ ass! If Texas really wants to try a Civil War for the country again - it can - but like last time it will lose.

It must suck when a state has a poor legacy that it can’t ever live down. Many are still resentful they lost the war. :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 10:44 pm

kokopelli wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Seriously, why kick them out?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 10:50 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Texas was never in the true Union. It’s a Confederate state. Confederate ideology is a poison upon this country that has led to everything evil that has happened since this country was first funded. Should state not everyone in Texas thinks this way, Austin is awesome, Dallas is too - but way too many for comfort. New York, California, and Illinois were always Union and whooped Texas’ ass! If Texas really wants to try a Civil War for the country again - it can - but like last time it will lose.

It must suck when a state has a poor legacy that it can’t ever live down. Many are still resentful they lost the war. :mrgreen:

Houston is also very progressive, and south Texas is solid blue.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 11:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Seriously, why kick them out?

He’s a conservative. Notice how he only wants blue states kicked out. As said, the resentment for Union states runs deep.

If it's not for political reasons, no idea. I'm very used to the hatred NY gets from republicans though (which really makes it odd and contradictory that their hero is a NY billionaire).

Last edited by Spooky_Mulder on 02 Oct 2018, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 11:02 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Houston is also very progressive, and south Texas is solid blue.

Cool cool.

I don’t really know the exact breakdown of Texas. Been to Austin before which is an awesome city.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 5:24 pm

The people of Puerto Rico should decide the fate of the land they are citizens of by their accord and their accord only.

However, if Puerto Rico is given the status of statehood, it would IMO, not be surprising if conservatives view statehood as a means to turn the citizens of Puerto Rico against each other, meaning that the path that could lead to statehood for Puerto Rico should be moved along slowly.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:35 pm

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

California will not vote on it. A court has declared that it's a constitutional "revision", that is, a change to the fundamental structure of government, which the constitution says must be proposed by a state constitutional convention.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 7:19 pm

beneficii wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

California will not vote on it. A court has declared that it's a constitutional "revision", that is, a change to the fundamental structure of government, which the constitution says must be proposed by a state constitutional convention.

It'll never happen. No more than eastern Washington, north Idaho, and eastern Oregon will ever combine to become the state of Lincoln (yes, that was an actual scheme).