Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 5:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
...because the word is so vague in meaning...

I find those the most interesting words of all, especially if they're used a lot. The words that never shift from their dictionary semantics, I find much more dull; I can just go look those up. Like "OK" or "Mmm-hmm", "nice" has so many pragmatic shades; I find it interesting to see how it's perceived by people.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 6:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

ARE you putting us all on?

I see patterns and signs all the time , sometimes I'm right sometimes it's just plain old coincidence so make of this what you want.

Because of the way Fnord worded one of his posts 'Some people might take personal offense at an example that has nothing to do with them.' , Since when has this ever been an issue for Fnord :lol:

In my crazy opinion this thread is nothing more that having a dig at the words people ( ones who he has disagreed with ) have used.

This is Fnord trying to justify his Dutch Uncle style to others.

Does this make me sound paranoid ^ or do I have a good read on some people despite my ASD :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 6:22 pm

I got three words for you guys if that is truly the case.

Let It Go

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 6:37 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

Does this make me sound paranoid ^ or do I have a good read on some people despite my ASD

I believe it is rare for Fnord's posts not to have a point, unless being obviously humorous (which is a point in itself); it is one of the reasons that I appreciate his presence here, even if/when we disagree on points of opinion. I too noted that the word "nice" had been used conspicuously around the time that this thread appeared.

As I said earlier...
Trogluddite wrote:
"nice" has so many pragmatic shades

When people wish for ambiguous things, they will receive ambiguous responses.

A hunch. No more.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 7:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
@EzraS & TW1ZTY:

Hey, guys ... this thread is not about Donald J. Trump ... it's about defining "Nice".

Can you two please start a thread of your own?

Otherwise, I'll have to request a threadlock here.

Thank you.

We are mainly having a good discussion about how people are perceived, which is germane to the topic.

Last edited by EzraS on 09 Oct 2018, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 7:20 pm

Anybody less cranky than Fnord.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 7:21 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I see patterns and signs all the time , sometimes I'm right sometimes it's just plain old coincidence so make of this what you want.

Because of the way Fnord worded one of his posts 'Some people might take personal offense at an example that has nothing to do with them.' , Since when has this ever been an issue for Fnord :lol:

In my crazy opinion this thread is nothing more that having a dig at the words people ( ones who he has disagreed with ) have used.

Does this make me sound paranoid ^ or do I have a good read on some people despite my ASD :roll:

I said exactly this on my first post on this thread (prior to the one you're quoting).

All of us long time WP members see through his original post and see what it's obviously really about:"gee whiz why doesn't everybody love me Fnord for doing them the favor of verbally abusing them?" :lol:

OMG!

Maybe I shouldn't have said that. Because...it was not a.....NICE thing to say!

OR....

Wait a minute...

I was being honest...and giving Fnord tough coaching. So....

Maybe it WAS a nice thing to say.

Or maybe "nice" isn't the right word for it....its "tough love", but its not nice.

Or maybe if you are too nasty it drives folks deeper into their vices so...

Its such a heavy question!

Just don't know :lol: :lol: :lol:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 7:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I said exactly this on my first post on this thread (prior to the one you're quoting).

All of us long time WP members see through his original post and see what it's obviously really about:"gee whiz why doesn't everybody love me Fnord for doing them the favor of verbally abusing them?" :lol:

OMG!

Maybe I shouldn't have said that. Because...it was not a.....NICE thing to say!

OR....

Wait a minute...

I was being honest...and giving Fnord tough coaching. So....

Maybe it WAS a nice thing to say.

Or maybe "nice" isn't the right word for it....its "tough love", but its not nice.

Or maybe if you are too nasty it drives folks deeper into their vices so...

Its such a heavy question!

Just don't know :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep , you called him out a lot 'nicer' that I did in your first post which has mysteriously disappeared , noice

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 7:48 pm

Those who have a predilection for calling people out and chastising them based on their online behavior, shouldn't go crying to the mods when their own behavior regarding such is called out. If I were a mod I'd say, don't dish it out if you can't take it.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Please tell me that this thread is meant as a joke.

Our freshman teacher in English 101 told us to "never use the word 'nice' in our papers, because the word is so vague in meaning" which is good advice for formal expository writing. Doesn't mean you cant use it conversation among a small group because your small group of fellow conversers know the context and know what you mean in the particular context.

Asking for some kind of legal definition of "nice" can only be a put-on.

So....

Yes, like non-native English speaker, Borat.

He uses the word "nice" a lot, because he doesn't know more descriptive adjectives.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:24 pm

I think in the context of this thread the opposite of nice is mean. Was he nice to you, or was he mean to you? And really I think on a support and advice forum, people prefer someone being nice rather than mean to others. Being nice in this context doesn't mean placating, pandering, enabling etc. It just means not treating people like s**t.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:27 pm

Is it considered nice when you resist the urge to kick somebody even though you really want to? :scratch:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 9:01 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Is it considered nice when you resist the urge to kick somebody even though you really want to? :scratch:

It could be said that's showing mercy, which is a nice thing to do.