Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 11:17 am

I've been banned from a subreddit. My offense?

Replying to a post in a polite and civil manner, in which I made the apparent sin of pointing out realities which conflicted with the misandristic narrative of the subreddit.

Though I had not recalled at the time I (re)discovered the subreddit, I now seem to recall that I may have been banned from that same subreddit years ago for the same reason.

In any case, while this was not a race oriented subreddit, I noted many parallels between it and Stormfront, and realized last night that it was likely only a matter of time before I would be banned from that subbredit, so it came as no shock. I'm very seldom banned from forums, as I adhere diligently to the rules, but in every instance that I have been banned, it has been for the same offense, and the more unbalanced or removed from reality the narrative of the forum is, the more likely I am to be banned despite not having violated any rules or have even approached doing so.

I recall on my first foray on to reddit, a poster I was replying to had broken a rule and the moderator accused me of breaking it and then banned me when I pointed out the OP was actually the one who broke the rule.

I imagine that moderator simply didn't like me, and saw no point in her making blatantly false accusations against me when there was no need for her to justify banning me to begin with, but such is the world we live in; often driven by emotions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 11:59 am

I'm sorry you got banned. I hope you don't feel bad about it.

It's almost like this is par for the course when you're on a website where you have people with their own agendas.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 12:09 pm

Chronos wrote:
... this was not a race oriented subreddit, I noted many parallels between it and Stormfront, and realized last night that it was likely only a matter of time before I would be banned from that subbredit...
One can only hope.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 12:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm sorry you got banned. I hope you don't feel bad about it.

It's almost like this is par for the course when you're on a website where you have people with their own agendas.

Thank you Kortie but I am not upset at all that I was banned. It was not a place I intended to stick around. I see the ban as confirmation of what I had already come to realize about that subreddit; that it was not a subreddit for discussion, as it billed itself to be, it was an echo chamber, and for that reason, I had not expected to be permitted an equal voice there, nor had I intended to attemp to make a home there.

I just find having been banned for the reason I was amusing in the context of it, but it's relavent to politics because we are in the midst of elections and reddit perfecly exemplifies our society with respect to how people vote and why.

In this order...

1. Emotions.
2. Popularity.
3. Absolute Logic.

With 3 often an after thought.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 12:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
Chronos wrote:
... this was not a race oriented subreddit, I noted many parallels between it and Stormfront, and realized last night that it was likely only a matter of time before I would be banned from that subbredit...
One can only hope.

Yes. I am quite relieved I was.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 12:47 pm

Chronos wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Chronos wrote:
One can only hope.
OOPS!!

I just re-read everything, and I MADE A MISTAKE! I thought that you had typed "... it is only a matter of time before this subreddit would be banned..."

I AM SORRY that I implied that I was hoping the you would be banned. I actually think that it would be good to at least hope that the subreddit would be banned.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 12:50 pm

Don't feel bad.

The real world sorts people out.

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Oct 2018, 12:50 pm

No matter what the realities are, you'll rarely be able to change a lot of minds when they've already decided what they want to believe, sadly. People enjoy their tribal cliques.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 2:49 pm

I got banned from r/offmychest for posting in r/theredpill once. It was an auto ban. I also hear you get banned from r/LGBT when you disagree with their views and it doesn't matter if you are gay yourself or trans or bisexual. Posting in the Donald will also get you auto banned from some sub reddits. I think it's messed up but people create their own subreddits there and make their own rules.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 3:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Chronos wrote:
One can only hope.
OOPS!!

I just re-read everything, and I MADE A MISTAKE! I thought that you had typed "... it is only a matter of time before this subreddit would be banned..."

I AM SORRY that I implied that I was hoping the you would be banned. I actually think that it would be good to at least hope that the subreddit would be banned.

Understood. No worries as no offense was taken. I think it's a good thing to be banned from a hateful subreddit for the reason that one does not possess that hate and speaks against it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 3:38 pm

Chronos wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Chronos wrote:
One can only hope.
OOPS!! I just re-read everything, and I MADE A MISTAKE! I thought that you had typed "... it is only a matter of time before this subreddit would be banned..." I AM SORRY that I implied that I was hoping the you would be banned. I actually think that it would be good to at least hope that the subreddit would be banned.
Understood. No worries as no offense was taken. I think it's a good thing to be banned from a hateful subreddit for the reason that one does not possess that hate and speaks against it.
"I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members." -- Attributed to the great comedian Julius Henry Marx (1890-1977), allegedly regarding his resignation from the Friar's Club in 1949.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 6:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Chronos wrote:
One can only hope.
OOPS!! I just re-read everything, and I MADE A MISTAKE! I thought that you had typed "... it is only a matter of time before this subreddit would be banned..." I AM SORRY that I implied that I was hoping the you would be banned. I actually think that it would be good to at least hope that the subreddit would be banned.
"I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members." -- Attributed to the great comedian Julius Henry Marx (1890-1977), allegedly regarding his resignation from the Friar's Club in 1949.

I commend you for getting the facts right surrounding that quote. Most people get the clubs and the situation wrong.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 7:42 pm

Chronos wrote:
but such is the world we live in; often driven by emotions.

I would say: "...but such is the *NT* world we live in; often driven by emotions..."

In my experience, many young NTs (those under 25) are driven predominately by their emotional needs.
Pointless to bring a wombat to logic and expect it to think...<shrug>

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 10:48 pm

I don't know a whole lot about reddit, I probably should know more, but I'm guessing from the sound of things that it's more like a constellation of forums than a forum per say. That said I could see where the more cult-like, unbalanced, and echo-chambered a place gets the tighter the dials get on shared beliefs.

On one hand I think you obviously know - getting banned by such people's not any sort of meaningful moral indictment. Really if you hung out there and bit your tongue, and were still not banned, it's questionable as to whether you'd feel better. The question you might have even been trying to answer by posting what you did was the question 'Are they as batisht crazy as I think they might be?' and if you did ask that question you got a resounding yes in response.

Also - props on having the bearing to follow your integrity.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin