Page 2 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 10:52 am

drlaugh wrote:
To those that scoff
I hope some day you will be able to pray and praise God.

Most atheists I know were believers at one time. So they already did the whole pray and praise thing.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 11:33 am

To those that have lost belief in a God of their understanding. It is harder to get that belief back - then those that have never had it. (IMHO)

Perhaos try.

Good
Orderly
Direction

Or doing the next right thing.

I can only share my journey. Each has their own.

I like the scene where Indiana Jones had to jump on by the Leap of faith.

8)

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 12:22 pm

drlaugh wrote:
To those that have lost belief in a God of their understanding. It is harder to get that belief back - then those that have never had it. (IMHO)

Perhaos try.

Good
Orderly
Direction

Or doing the next right thing.

I like the scene where Indiana Jones had to jump on by the Leap of faith.

8)

Perhaps I didn't explain it well. They did the whole God, pray and praise thing. They did the leap of faith. They did the sincere asking. They found it all empty and useless. They have no desire to get it back. If in ones experience it is empty and useless, then why would they want it back? Its just a waste of time.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 12:34 pm

drlaugh wrote:

I go by the Deist label these days. On my journey, God desires neither praise nor prayers. So I see no reason why you would want to afflict those upon me.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 1:43 pm

Cash__ wrote:
drlaugh wrote:
To those that scoff
I hope some day you will be able to pray and praise God.

Most atheists I know were believers at one time. So they already did the whole pray and praise thing.

I used to believe. Maybe part of me still believes, but I do not believe that a book that has been rewritten over and over with things added to and taken away for centuries has all the answers. You can't believe everything you read and I think that should include the bible.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 2:05 pm

I like Koans.
I don’t always understand them but they make me smile.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 6:26 am

First of all, this argument doesn't work on uncaring/indifferent Gods, of which there are countless.

So let's just say you're applying this to the typical Christian God then. The one who loves us all, etcetera. It sounds like this logic proves such a God couldn't exist, except there's one fatal flaw; you're applying human logic to an omniscient being that works in mysterious ways.

Think about it in comparison to children. Now most of them hate veggies, yet their parents make them eat it anyway. To the kids, this is quite a mortifying experience and a great injustice, but ultimately it's good for them.

Now suppose the being violently hacked to pieces by a maniac with a machete while you're caught in a tsunami just so happens to be a good thing to happen to somebody. It sounds ridiculous, because we're looking at it from the perspective of the kids being fed the veggies, rather than the parents doing the feeding. So in our mind, horrific, gruesome, horrifying torture and death is bad, but perhaps in the long run it is in fact something humans need to go through to reach some abstract spiritual enlightenment and inner peace.

Obviously this is absurd, but when we talk about an omniscient being, that means we can simply define anything that sounds like an issue out of the picture by simply assuming it's beyond our mortal minds' understanding.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 6:41 am

Sabreclaw wrote:
First of all, this argument doesn't work on uncaring/indifferent Gods, of which there are countless.

I know Christains like to believe that every non-Christain religion is evil and that all other gods are fake but their God is not the only caring deity. If you want me to list you names of deities in other religions who actually show compassion towards people I'd be more than happy to. :roll:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 6:53 am

Sabreclaw wrote:
Think about it in comparison to children. Now most of them hate veggies, yet their parents make them eat it anyway. To the kids, this is quite a mortifying experience and a great injustice, but ultimately it's good for them.
Now suppose the being violently hacked to pieces by a maniac with a machete while you're caught in a tsunami just so happens to be a good thing to happen to somebody. It sounds ridiculous, because we're looking at it from the perspective of the kids being fed the veggies, rather than the parents doing the feeding. So in our mind, horrific, gruesome, horrifying torture and death is bad, but perhaps in the long run it is in fact something humans need to go through to reach some abstract spiritual enlightenment and inner peace.

Obviously this is absurd, but when we talk about an omniscient being, that means we can simply define anything that sounds like an issue out of the picture by simply assuming it's beyond our mortal minds' understanding.

I don't think that's a very good comparison at all. You're comparing a parent who's trying to do something harmless but unpleasant because it's what is right for their child to a violent psychopath with no respect for human life and a major disaster that destroys countless lives and traumatizes people forever.

If God is really trying to bring us closer to him by destroying people and causing so much pain and suffering in the world then I'd say he's really failed as a parent. Hell I wonder how many people have turned away from believing in God because of that? Sounds like an abusive parent to me. :roll:

It just really irks me when some people try to argue that all of the horrible things that happen in this world are God's will and that us insignifigant humans should be happy and grateful for all this suffering because apparently we are all too stupid and simplistic to understand what real love is. That is complete and utter BS! :x

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 7:54 am

Feel free to quote where I said or even implied all non-Christian Gods are uncaring. You may have some difficulty there, because I never did.

1. I'm an atheist, so I have no interest in justifying the actions of a God.

2. You can't prove that's an bad comparison at all. The nature of a deity is you can define it to suit whatever your needs are. Through that logic one can assume anything that happens in the real world is somehow beneficial to our souls if we have them. If our souls persist for all eternity, then a few decades of misery are utterly insignificant.

Fnord is right. We can't apply our own logic and reason to an omniscient, eternal being. Trying to disprove the existence of God through such a method is futile.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 8:01 am

This graphic from the chans sums up my journey pretty well. Not quite made it to the last panel yet, but who knows.

Interestingly Richard Dawkins is now roughly between panel 2 and 3.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 8:29 am

Mikah wrote:
This graphic from the chans sums up my journey pretty well. Not quite made it to the last panel yet, but who knows.

Interestingly Richard Dawkins is now roughly between panel 2 and 3.

Yeah sorry, I don't believe all atheists really think that small minded. I certainly don't.

Some atheists actually do respect a person's religous rights and don't think that being religous automatically makes you "stupid". In fact I bet it's people like atheists who are actually more in favor of religous freedom than Christains. Christains have made it blatantly obvious for centuries that they only want religous freedom for themselves and that they think people from other religions (or atheists) should be treated like second class citizens until they decide to convert. Of course they're not the only organized religion that feels that way.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 8:48 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
Yeah sorry, I don't believe all atheists really think that small minded. I certainly don't.

It's a meme, understand it as such.

TW1ZTY wrote:
Christains have made it blatantly obvious for centuries that they only want religous freedom for themselves and that they think people from other religions (or atheists) should be treated like second class citizens until they decide to convert.

It's come a long way since the Inquisition (which wasn't the insane pogrom people like to make it out to be). Smart atheists, including Richard Dawkins are coming around to a greater truth. Once you drive out Christianity, what is left is not an enlightened, polished, modern irreligious society, but just another religious battleground where the winner is more likely than not to be something much less forgiving and much less open to atheist thinkers than Christianity ever was. We've not anywhere close to reaching Muslim saturation and yet he is being punished for Islamophobia. He can smell the smoke of fires he has helped set.

I doubt he'll ever make the step towards understanding just how fundamental Christianity is to all the other things he values about Western civilisation, but it's a start.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:13 am

Personally I feel like TV and the internet has become the new religion.

Any disagreements about that?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:15 am

Mikah wrote:
It's a meme, understand it as such.

I really don't get a lot of memes. :lol:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:28 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
Personally I feel like TV and the internet has become the new religion.

Any disagreements about that?

Not in themselves. They certainly help disseminate new religions.