Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 2:16 pm

Here's a great example why. Look at the difference between them cooped up in a cage and then how they act when released.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 5:26 am

Simples...
Don't buy them... :wink:

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Nov 2018, 8:59 am

I always make a point of getting free range eggs these days.

They are much nicer and have healthier looking yolks.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 2:35 pm

Pepe wrote:
Simples...
Don't buy them... :wink:

I don't!

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 2:35 pm

envirozentinel wrote:

Same here

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 5:01 pm

envirozentinel wrote:

I do it because I prefer "ethical" eggs rather than base ugly consumerism...

But keep in mind:
There are free range eggs...
And free range eggs...

Some free range farms pack the chickens jowl to jowl...
If at all possible, buy free range eggs which indicate a favourable chicken(s)-to hectare ratio...

God I hate the human species...<sigh>

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 5:02 pm

They are awful for the chickens and the environment.Whole houses full drowned during the last hurricane.
The smell when you drive past them is awful and then they spread the waste on fields and you get to smell it even more.
Don’t leave the car windows down or there will be more flies in your vehicle than the Amityville horror house.
Then they get kicked and abused by workers and crammed into a truck to the slaughterhouse.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 12:44 pm

:cry:

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 1:39 pm

It's an indictment of our moral qualities as a civilisation that we think it's okay to torture a bird every day of its life before finally killing and eating it. It's funny how everyone now is willing to buy free range eggs (a good thing of course), and yet free range meat is practically unheard of. It just goes to show how skin deep people's moral qualities are - I believe in animal welfare, but only when it doesn't cost me too much.

I'm not a vegetarian, by the way, and I think vegans are positively insane. I make a point of only buying organic eggs/milk/butter/meat and so forth.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Nov 2018, 1:46 pm

That's good. Organic is best.

But there are too many types of people you're classifying as "insane". It's their choice if they want to be vegan.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 2:11 pm

Good News!

California makes cage-free hens a state law

Quote:
California voters overwhelmingly approved a measure Tuesday requiring that all eggs sold in the state come from cage-free hens by 2022.

Proposition 12 also bans the sale of pork and veal in California from farm animals raised in cages that don’t meet the new minimum size requirements. That means the Golden State’s new rules will apply to farmers nationwide whose eggs, veal and pork are sold in California.

Dubbed the Prevention of Cruelty to Farm Animals Act, Proposition 12 builds on an earlier ballot measure, Proposition 2, that passed in 2008 and banned keeping hens, calves and pigs in tiny cages so cramped they couldn’t stand up, lie down or turn around.

Proposition 12 of 2018, unlike Proposition 2 of 2008, prohibited the confinement of calves raised for veal, breeding pigs, and egg-laying hens in areas below a specific number of square feet, rather than restrictions based on animal behavior and movement. Proposition 12 also banned the sale of veal from calves, uncooked pork from breeding pigs, and shelled and liquid eggs from hens when the animals are confined to areas below minimum square-feet requirements.

Beginning in 2020, Proposition 12 bans the confinement of:

• Calves (young domestic cows) in areas with less than 43 square feet of usable floor space per calf and
• Egg-laying hens (chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, and guinea fowl) in areas with less than 1 square foot of usable floor space per hen.

Beginning in 2022, Proposition 12 bans the confinement of:

• Breeding pigs and their immediate offspring in areas with less than 24 square feet of usable floor space per pig and
• Egg-laying hens in areas other than indoor or outdoor cage-free housing systems based on the United Egg Producers' 2017 cage-free guidelines, which define cage-free housing as areas that provide 1.0 to 1.5 square feet of usable floor space per hen and allow hens to move around inside the area.

:thumleft:

Last edited by Fnord on 07 Nov 2018, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 2:11 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
That's good. Organic is best.

But there are too many types of people you're classifying as "insane". It's their choice if they want to be vegan.

I don't understand the modern mantra of "it's their choice to do X". It seems to me just a method of justifying any arbitrary practice by bypassing the process of reason. Something doesn't become good because people want to do it.

In this case, however, I think you're right; vegans at least don't do any direct harm. Nevertheless I think it's silly to believe that taking milk from a cow necessarily does it, or even it's offspring any harm. The industrial scale appropriation of cows' milk by permanently induced pregnancy, poisonous injections and other forms of torture harms the cow's wellbeing, and is objectionable, but that's an argument against industrial farming techniques, not against the consumption of milk per se. Vegans, failing to appreciate this point, are an anti reason movement, which is why I find it difficult to characterise them, in general, as being rational actors.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2018, 11:59 am

Fnord wrote:
Good News!

California makes cage-free hens a state law
Quote:
California voters overwhelmingly approved a measure Tuesday requiring that all eggs sold in the state come from cage-free hens by 2022.

Proposition 12 also bans the sale of pork and veal in California from farm animals raised in cages that don’t meet the new minimum size requirements. That means the Golden State’s new rules will apply to farmers nationwide whose eggs, veal and pork are sold in California.

Dubbed the Prevention of Cruelty to Farm Animals Act, Proposition 12 builds on an earlier ballot measure, Proposition 2, that passed in 2008 and banned keeping hens, calves and pigs in tiny cages so cramped they couldn’t stand up, lie down or turn around.

Proposition 12 of 2018, unlike Proposition 2 of 2008, prohibited the confinement of calves raised for veal, breeding pigs, and egg-laying hens in areas below a specific number of square feet, rather than restrictions based on animal behavior and movement. Proposition 12 also banned the sale of veal from calves, uncooked pork from breeding pigs, and shelled and liquid eggs from hens when the animals are confined to areas below minimum square-feet requirements.

Beginning in 2020, Proposition 12 bans the confinement of:

• Calves (young domestic cows) in areas with less than 43 square feet of usable floor space per calf and
• Egg-laying hens (chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, and guinea fowl) in areas with less than 1 square foot of usable floor space per hen.

Beginning in 2022, Proposition 12 bans the confinement of:

• Breeding pigs and their immediate offspring in areas with less than 24 square feet of usable floor space per pig and
• Egg-laying hens in areas other than indoor or outdoor cage-free housing systems based on the United Egg Producers' 2017 cage-free guidelines, which define cage-free housing as areas that provide 1.0 to 1.5 square feet of usable floor space per hen and allow hens to move around inside the area.

:thumleft:

That is good!

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 9:50 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
I think it's silly to believe that taking milk from a cow necessarily does it, or even it's offspring any harm. The industrial scale appropriation of cows' milk by permanently induced pregnancy, poisonous injections and other forms of torture harms the cow's wellbeing, and is objectionable, but that's an argument against industrial farming techniques, not against the consumption of milk per se.

Ethical dairy isn't practical or sustainable. Would you be willing to pay $24/per gallon for dairy milk?

Prometheus18 wrote:
Vegans, failing to appreciate this point, are an anti reason movement, which is why I find it difficult to characterise them, in general, as being rational actors.

Straw man arguments like this aren't reasonable.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 4:50 pm

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Ethical dairy isn't practical or sustainable. Would you be willing to pay $24/per gallon for dairy milk?

It's both practical and sustainable to an eminent degree. Nobody buys milk in gallons though I can see why you'd use them. I don't live in America, where it seems the EPA and other agencies are intent on poisoning the population and charging them a mint for it, but in the United Kingdom, I go to a store called Waitrose where I can buy a regular "Essential Waitrose" pint of milk for 50p or an organic equivalent for 65p - eminently affordable and far better than sacrificing one's health for a silly fad, while at the same time remaining ethical.

Quote:
Straw man arguments like this aren't reasonable.

I think you should look up the Straw Man Fallacy on Wikipedia before you make another silly statement like that.