Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 9:43 am

Thread title is article title:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/ ... riage.html

I thought this would be something for the Trump Derangement Syndrome thread, but the man himself isn't actually really all that prominent in the stories, which are not what I was expecting, and what I want to talk about.

This first woman, "Kristen", I can't understand how people like her exist, because she's so utterly fundamentally unlike me. She's 56, and from her story seems like her entire life she hasn't known who or what she is or what she wants to be, being pulled along by what others want instead, even after it led to her getting raped. So it's sadly unsurprising that when she took her "Witnessing Whiteness" course, she drank down every drop of the Kool-aid, and got programmed like a robot. She didn't have a sense of who or what she was or wanted to be, so others planted one within her and gave her what she wanted, something to feel passionate about. And while it's sad that this left no room for her husband, who had done nothing to curtail her activism, he's sadly better off without her, she's a programmed activist now who exists only to fight the culture war. She is of no value to him because he is of no value to her.

Next, we have "Sarah". I do not like her. Her husband is politically aligned with her and will look after the children while she is out doing activism. But that's not enough for her, she wants him out there with her. The talk of activism kids sounds creepy, but she may just be referring to the kids of the other activists, I'm not sure. I don't like seeing children swept up in activism. Anyway, good luck finding someone better than your husband, "Sarah." You should be happy he's the same as you politically and enables your activism by looking after the children.

Next we have "Samantha and John". Again, both are politically aligned. The problem is she is way too emotionally invested and isn't open to his points of view, it's causing arguments and dominating all her attention. But at least there doesn't seem to yet be a threat of break up.

Next is "Elizabeth", and her problem is her husband simply does not care about politics while of course she does care and is involved in activism. But she is now doing counselling, so hopefully that will help her.

"Betsy" is another rape victim. So it's not surprising what happened when the subject of the now newest SCOTUS judge came up. I can at least sympathise with her not caring about innocents going under the "steamroller" under her circumstances. That is the only thing mentioned here, so I doubt their relationship is under any threat.

And lastly we have Craig and Debbie, the ONLY duo here who are actually political opposites, the only ones comfortable with using their real names, and she is the Trump supporter. And they're getting along just fine! Imagine that! So none of these stories involved conflict between partners of opposite political persuasions!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 2:14 pm

My mom got converted by her longtime boyfriend.

He's a faithful Republican.

His tv is set to FOX NEWS every time I'm at his house. I think he leaves it on FOX NEWS all day. Every time I'm in his car, his radio is playing Sean Hannity's/Michael Savage/Rush Limbaugh channel(s).

For years, he filled her mind with his thoughts about how much he hates Democrats, and how awful he thinks they are.

Now she says, "I hate ALL Democrats. I will never vote for a Democrat".

Frequently she asks me, what the nefarious Democrats are up to, and what Trump is doing to stop them. :P