Page 3 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

cemil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jan 2019, 7:03 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
cemil wrote:
The movies nowadays is just ideological p0rn imo.. there has to be some women, some blacks, some gays, some browns, and our newly added array to this garden variety display - asians and asexuals

All of these people have money to spend. If there's a market demand for these groups to see some of their own on the silver screen, someone will fulfil it. You're not against free-market capitalism are you?

(I don't think that's what art is all about.. identity after all isn't as important as merit.. and what kind of critical thinking or truth could you get from watching Black Panther or Crazy Rich Asians tbh.. and if you want something crazier) Thatcherism left a lot of youth going London Calling.. couldn't even afford the privatized tap water then.
For some reasons they all survived and started to have babies. what kind of high quality babies could come out of that? then Labour is back, all these Trainspotting kids finally could breathe a little bit, gave more births to Ms. Dynamites.. and it's poor rural whites turn.. Elections swing back and forth, be it Reagan or Clinton they shouldn't have left everyone just out there. It's not just about a cold social welfare machine or dramatically banging hayek on the table .. and people can vote out of desperation unlike in some tougher regimes. If Trump just leaves people there like Clinton would, we'll only have more Woahvicky s. And then when a Dem becomes president again we have to deal with a generation of Woahvickys. That's the one thing I don't like about Reaganism or Clintonism and the Shuffling.. despite the stark wall-or-not-wall difference , I feel like Trump or Kamala may be the people who want to fix this cycle of ridiculousness . Trump could do something conscientious out of his favorite book from Machiavelli or out of vanity simply for his Wikipedia page . Kamala from her prison reform plan I feel like she might want to fix something . the rest I don't know .

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 7:36 am

Quote:
do you think these alt-right YouTube Personalities are a bad influence to movies and society as a whole? Should they be stopped? If so how?

The "alt-right" is a trendy euphemism; a lame attempt to re-brand good ol'-fashioned white supremacy, malignant misogyny, and neo-Fascism into something more socially acceptable. They should be stridently opposed at every opportunity.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 7:57 am

Bring back the Hayes Commission!

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 9:23 am

sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
No one cares about black people being cast in films. I personally care that frequently white actors are replaced with black actors but very rarely the other way around. Its bad when it characters like bond but when its historical and legendary people its even worse.

Got an example involving a historical figure?

What about putting blacks, women, gays as Germans in ww2?
That’s not historical accurate. Nor is women as front line soldiers in any war before 2000.

If it’s alternative history then whatever. I suppose it’s same as Asian character be pretrayed by white Americans and the backlash it got.

What movie did that?

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 9:49 am

The headline character in the Charlie Chan movies (obviously, Charlie Chan), was played by a white man through most of the 1930s and 1940s.

There were quite a few instances of this sort of thing happening in the old days.

In Shakespeare's time, female roles were usually played by males, by the way.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 5:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The headline character in the Charlie Chan movies (obviously, Charlie Chan), was played by a white man through most of the 1930s and 1940s.

The Mickey Rooney character in Breakfast at Tiffany's was pretty awful too. It ruined the movie for me.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 5:26 pm

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe...just maybe...some of these movies have such a left-wing slant to them that it just turns people off?

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 6:12 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
No one cares about black people being cast in films. I personally care that frequently white actors are replaced with black actors but very rarely the other way around. Its bad when it characters like bond but when its historical and legendary people its even worse.

That’s not historical accurate. Nor is women as front line soldiers in any war before 2000.

If it’s alternative history then whatever. I suppose it’s same as Asian character be pretrayed by white Americans and the backlash it got.

What movie did that?

The first was a game.

People were upset about all the Germans in valkery being played by British actors.m
Now they’re upset about actors playing disabled roles.

The game bothers me and it makes up fake stories, it bothers me because younger generations are playing it thinking this is true and so they will think that’s how ww2 happen.
Ww2 games should include nazis and all their swastakas. It wasn’t a rainbows and butterfly war, it shouldn’t be pretrayed as such.
Like that’s cool banning nazis from sound of music. How is pretending nazis and holocaust didn’t happen going help?

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2019, 4:26 am

sly279 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

What movie did that?

The first was a game.

People were upset about all the Germans in valkery being played by British actors.m

The game bothers me and it makes up fake stories, it bothers me because younger generations are playing it thinking this is true and so they will think that’s how ww2 happen.
Ww2 games should include nazis and all their swastakas. It wasn’t a rainbows and butterfly war, it shouldn’t be pretrayed as such.
Like that’s cool banning nazis from sound of music. How is pretending nazis and holocaust didn’t happen going help?

Are you talking about the last Battlefield game?

Senegalese and other French colonial soldiers did fight in both world wars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senegalese_Tirailleurs

Weirdly enough, the Nazis had some non-European SS divisions. I don't know if any of them were specifically black African though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Arabian_Legion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Legion

I agree that swastikas shouldn't be removed from the game. As long as the Nazis are shown as the bad guys, I don't see any reason to censor them. But I also don't worry too much about accuracy in historical movies or games. None of them are all that accurate.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 5:12 am

Minder wrote:
sly279 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

What movie did that?

The first was a game.

Weirdly enough, the Nazis had some non-European SS divisions. I don't know if any of them were specifically black African though.

I agree that swastikas shouldn't be removed from the game. As long as the Nazis are shown as the bad guys, I don't see any reason to censor them. But I also don't worry too much about accuracy in historical movies or games. None of them are all that accurate.

From what I understand they saw backs as inferior and if they were t already I can imagine eventually they’d been sent to the camps to be killed. There is one black kid who grew up there being a son of an embassador who’s shared his story. He wasn’t treated well.

Most past battlefield games were pretty historical accurate. The last two have been bad and this one is least accurate one of them all. Younger kids are going think Germans in ww2 were multi cultural and nazis didn’t exist and that’s scary.
Much like how YouTube won’t let the nazi flag be shown when talking about ww2 German guns and other things. Soviet flag is fine apparently. Nazi germany happen weather people like it or not it’s part of history and a part that shouldn’t be forgotten or erased.

Never said blacks didn’t fight in allied side
No women fought in front lines though. Even few years ago it wasn’t t a thing and people are still against women in combat roles today.
Ww2 was a bit of turning point for black Americans as soldier started to see them as equals but they still didn’t fight mixed and they didn’t get important missions due to racism.

I guess it’d be like if there was a all black confederacy at renactments.
Movies and games are as close to ww2 re-enactments as we get and beat way to share history with younger generations. Most aren’t going read books about it.

Only part I liked of the story was the Germans in the tank and how it briefly shows they weren’t all bad and how the propaganda hurt. The raw recruit killing his own officer and crew for cowardice and treason. The war was lost, it shows them hanging spiders who tried to surrender. But this was ruined by all the flags were pre ww2 German empire like flags. Nazi flags hanging in a ruined city as Germans fight a last ditch defense for a lost cause realizing the madness of the dictatorship and his proganda as their comrades die around them would have been far better.

As is pretrayed it’s just another war over what? Land? If there’s no nazis then why are they fightin? It just loses all essence. It pretrays ww2 German government as good and ok just fighting a losing war.

The Norway story ? There’s an actual raid on the base in history why not tell that story instead of make one up?
Feminism?
I dont know Abas again s they aren’t nazis so why do we care to stop them?
Though at least it briefly noted the horrors happening back in Germany.

Modern entertainment is far too afraid of sjw movement to show real history.

Old games had swastikas .
Thang goodness wolfienstien kept them. They even had hitler in the game

Imagine if man in the high castle left out the Nazis?

So what is it some alternative history where Germany won ww1?
But no bf1 has them lose
So it didn’t get dissolved? And then still starts ww2? For what reason?

All I can say is thank goodness the multiplayer game play is decent otherwise I’d be done with it.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 8:05 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

The Hollow Crown used a black actress to play a white Queen.

It doesn't appear to be a widespread trend, so I'm not sure it's anything to become hysterical over. One obscure example hardly suggests it's common or that white actors might suddenly find themselves struggling to find roles.

This is the inherent different when there's complaints about whitewashing vs. anything analogous. For those who work in the American or British entertainment industries, if you're a person of colour, there's far fewer roles available. Of course, if you'd like to dishonestly compare unequal situations, don't be surprised when your bait is ignored.

It is a wipespread trend Making Achilles black, Guinevere in Merlin, wanting to make Bond Black. They are turning European Cultural and Historical Icons non Europeans.

Britain is a White country and America is a mostly White country so of course there are fewer roles for non whites.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 10:07 am

sly279 wrote:
Minder wrote:
sly279 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

What movie did that?

The first was a game.

From what I understand they saw backs as inferior and if they were t already I can imagine eventually they’d been sent to the camps to be killed. There is one black kid who grew up there being a son of an embassador who’s shared his story. He wasn’t treated well.

Most past battlefield games were pretty historical accurate. The last two have been bad and this one is least accurate one of them all. Younger kids are going think Germans in ww2 were multi cultural and nazis didn’t exist and that’s scary.
Much like how YouTube won’t let the nazi flag be shown when talking about ww2 German guns and other things. Soviet flag is fine apparently. Nazi germany happen weather people like it or not it’s part of history and a part that shouldn’t be forgotten or erased.

Never said blacks didn’t fight in allied side
No women fought in front lines though. Even few years ago it wasn’t t a thing and people are still against women in combat roles today.
Ww2 was a bit of turning point for black Americans as soldier started to see them as equals but they still didn’t fight mixed and they didn’t get important missions due to racism.

I guess it’d be like if there was a all black confederacy at renactments.
Movies and games are as close to ww2 re-enactments as we get and beat way to share history with younger generations. Most aren’t going read books about it.

Only part I liked of the story was the Germans in the tank and how it briefly shows they weren’t all bad and how the propaganda hurt. The raw recruit killing his own officer and crew for cowardice and treason. The war was lost, it shows them hanging spiders who tried to surrender. But this was ruined by all the flags were pre ww2 German empire like flags. Nazi flags hanging in a ruined city as Germans fight a last ditch defense for a lost cause realizing the madness of the dictatorship and his proganda as their comrades die around them would have been far better.

As is pretrayed it’s just another war over what? Land? If there’s no nazis then why are they fightin? It just loses all essence. It pretrays ww2 German government as good and ok just fighting a losing war.

The Norway story ? There’s an actual raid on the base in history why not tell that story instead of make one up?
Feminism?
I dont know Abas again s they aren’t nazis so why do we care to stop them?
Though at least it briefly noted the horrors happening back in Germany.

Modern entertainment is far too afraid of sjw movement to show real history.

Old games had swastikas .
Thang goodness wolfienstien kept them. They even had hitler in the game

Imagine if man in the high castle left out the Nazis?

So what is it some alternative history where Germany won ww1?
But no bf1 has them lose
So it didn’t get dissolved? And then still starts ww2? For what reason?

All I can say is thank goodness the multiplayer game play is decent otherwise I’d be done with it.

There were female resistance fighters and female combat pilots; however, but, no, to the best of my knowledge there were no female "soldiers."

And I've never played a BF game, so I can't comment as to how historically accurate they are.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

cemil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jan 2019, 11:08 am

cemil wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
cemil wrote:
The movies nowadays is just ideological p0rn imo.. there has to be some women, some blacks, some gays, some browns, and our newly added array to this garden variety display - asians and asexuals

All of these people have money to spend. If there's a market demand for these groups to see some of their own on the silver screen, someone will fulfil it. You're not against free-market capitalism are you?

(I don't think that's what art is all about.. identity after all isn't as important as merit.. and what kind of critical thinking or truth could you get from watching Black Panther or Crazy Rich Asians tbh.. and if you want something crazier) Thatcherism left a lot of youth going London Calling.. couldn't even afford the privatized tap water then.
For some reasons they all survived and started to have babies. what kind of high quality babies could come out of that? then Labour is back, all these Trainspotting kids finally could breathe a little bit, gave more births to Ms. Dynamites.. and it's poor rural whites turn.. Elections swing back and forth, be it Reagan or Clinton they shouldn't have left everyone just out there. It's not just about a cold social welfare machine or dramatically banging hayek on the table .. and people can vote out of desperation unlike in some tougher regimes. If Trump just leaves people there like Clinton would, we'll only have more Woahvicky s. And then when a Dem becomes president again we have to deal with a generation of Woahvickys. That's the one thing I don't like about Reaganism or Clintonism and the Shuffling.. despite the stark wall-or-not-wall difference , I feel like Trump or Kamala may be the people who want to fix this cycle of ridiculousness . Trump could do something conscientious out of his favorite book from Machiavelli or out of vanity simply for his Wikipedia page . Kamala from her prison reform plan I feel like she might want to fix something . the rest I don't know .

even hayek thinks there should be a safety net.. and judging from hindsight it should have been a smarter one.. imhumbleo Ronald Reagan only set America on steroids and Margaret Thatcher was just a penis pump .. The damages they did to citizens and its country. Then All of A Sudden you had Blair and Clinton. the nurses that were doing some further damage.. By the time Bush and Obama eras arrived (by being open, freely, and democratically elected) the monkeys were truly in charge of the circus.. for some reasons democrats and republicans can't see the history of this country as a stream of a whole now.. it's now clear that Democrats want dictatorship, and Republicans want dictatorship, and that's not gonna happen .. hillary wants feminism and tim kaine wants lgbtq rights, while republicans popping out conservative babies and taking back house and senate.. kavanaugh wants to overturn roe vs wade and pence wants to ban gay marriage, democrats would be popping out unaborted liberal babies and taking back house and senate..

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2019, 1:12 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

The Hollow Crown used a black actress to play a white Queen.

It doesn't appear to be a widespread trend, so I'm not sure it's anything to become hysterical over. One obscure example hardly suggests it's common or that white actors might suddenly find themselves struggling to find roles.

This is the inherent different when there's complaints about whitewashing vs. anything analogous. For those who work in the American or British entertainment industries, if you're a person of colour, there's far fewer roles available. Of course, if you'd like to dishonestly compare unequal situations, don't be surprised when your bait is ignored.

It is a wipespread trend Making Achilles black, Guinevere in Merlin, wanting to make Bond Black. They are turning European Cultural and Historical Icons non Europeans.

Britain is a White country and America is a mostly White country so of course there are fewer roles for non whites.

I don't really care if James Bond is black. I just think the actor and character should always be from the British Isles.

It might annoy me if they race swapped a real historical figure, unless they were doing it in the context of a comedy or trying to do something fantastical. 300 did that by making the Persian emperor black, but I really hated that movie for a variety of unrelated reasons.

It wouldn't bother me in the context of live theater, since there's less verisimilitude in that medium.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 2:55 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
There were female resistance fighters and female combat pilots; however, but, no, to the best of my knowledge there were no female "soldiers."

Soviet snipers could be women: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipers_of_the_Soviet_Union. There is an essay on the topic of women fighting, though without references to original material: http://aidanmoher.com/blog/featured-article/2013/05/we-have-always-fought-challenging-the-women-cattle-and-slaves-narrative-by-kameron-hurley/
. Also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birka_female_Viking_warrior

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 4:44 pm

DystopianShadows wrote:
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe...just maybe...some of these movies have such a left-wing slant to them that it just turns people off?

maybe
who watches movies for the politics, though? seriously. i ignore it

Redxk wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

The Mickey Rooney character in Breakfast at Tiffany's was pretty awful too. It ruined the movie for me.

yunioshi?
he was pretty bad but i saw him as a minor enough character that he didn't ruin the movie for me. and i saw it when i was like, 19. hardly remember it, actually.

and sly, black people fought for the germans in WW2. people from all, over the world. honest.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.