Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 4:21 pm

More than once, the books of the New Testament reference the practice of necromancy, as in raising people from the dead including Jesus. Is what we are reading really a testimony to necromancers?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 5:12 pm

"Necromancy" means "doing the dead"(if ya know what I mean). Not "raising the dead". I hope you're aware of that.

At any rate the writers of the NT just wanted to sell the product. So they repeated every tale of every supposed miracle that the guy performed (water into wine, walking on water etc) to show that he was the son of God. Raising the dead is still pretty miraculous even if with our medical technology. So its just one more miracle.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Sep 2015, 11:03 pm

Not necessarily "doing the dead" in that sense... There's a Tolkien villain (one of the manifestations of Sauron) who was known as The Necromancer - one of his many titles, as he had the undead doing his bidding. (The Nazgul, among others).

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 4:29 am

naturalplastic wrote:
"Necromancy" means "doing the dead"(if ya know what I mean). Not "raising the dead". I hope you're aware of that.

no, that's necrophillia, necromancy is along the lines of "magic affecting the dead", which may or may not include reanimating/reviving them. (the former making the well-known 'zombies', the latter truly bringing the person back)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 10:31 am

OK. I stand corrected. :D

Actually, I guess I had the impression that "necromancy" was a recently contrived word made up of "necro", and "romance" ( as in 'boy meet girl') that goth rockers invented for album titles for shock value. :skull: :heart:

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 2:23 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
More than once, the books of the New Testament reference the practice of necromancy, as in raising people from the dead including Jesus. Is what we are reading really a testimony to necromancers?

Probably. Miracles, necromancy, what's the difference? It's all superstitious nonsense.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 2:50 pm

"Mancy" is actually the greek suffix for things pertaining to various forms of divination. That is, ways to predict the future. Hence "necromancy" is communing with the dead to divine the future. For the practice of raising the dead to do your bidding, the suffix "urgy" (from "ergon", meaning "work") should be more properly applied, forming "necrourgy".

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 12:48 am

In one word: NO!

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 11:19 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
"Mancy" is actually the greek suffix for things pertaining to various forms of divination. That is, ways to predict the future. Hence "necromancy" is communing with the dead to divine the future. For the practice of raising the dead to do your bidding, the suffix "urgy" (from "ergon", meaning "work") should be more properly applied, forming "necrourgy".
^ THIS ^

“Necromancy” is communing with the spirits of the dead to predict the future, solve past mysteries, and determine the “truth” of current conditions. Holding a seance, for example, is a form of necromancy.

So, if the Bible can be said to be an historically accurate portrayal of events, then the New Testament writers are merely reporting something that happened, and nothing more.

Some people really should look up the meanings of any words longer that two syllables...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 1:46 pm

I think the old testament had richer examples. Elijah the Tishbite for example laying on the widow's dead sun in a limb per limb manner as if he were trying to energetically jump a dead car battery - it doesn't get much more occult than that. David tried something similar with one of his infant sons by Bathsheba - alas, no luck.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 6:56 am

naturalplastic wrote:
OK. I stand corrected. :D

Actually, I guess I had the impression that "necromancy" was a recently contrived word made up of "necro", and "romance" ( as in 'boy meet girl') that goth rockers invented for album titles for shock value. :skull: :heart:

no, but that pun has been made ... The german horror(?) film Nekromantik is about a love triangle between man, woman, and half-decayed corpse. The sex scenes are hilarious.