Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 6:26 pm

Nothing new here but the people doing it and possibly the techniques to do it. Whether it's President Roosvelt trying to pack the court, to Clinton issuing pardons at the end of his term, to Mayor Daley supposedly using dead voters to swing the 1960 presidential election, to Superdelegates if not stealing the nomination from Sanders negating any reasonable chance he had, to so-called ballot harvesting in California, there is nothing inherently Republican about gaming the system to ones political advantage damn the will of the voters.

Yes this is whataboutism/Bothsidesism. I prefer to call it politics as usual or human nature. What is also politics as usual, is the victimized pissed off because they were outsmarted screaming bloody murder.

What is concerning about now is the zero-sum game/existential threat/by any means necessary mentality is inevitably going to lead a lot worse than political shenanigans.

I wish there was a way to do to both sides what is done with kids, call a timeout and send both kids to the corner for a period of time, a damn long period of time.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 8:22 pm

Well they want to win, don't they? If the allow that pesky democracy to exist there's a chance they won't win. Perhaps Trump could get some tips from his buddy, Kim Jong-un!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 9:23 pm

Piobaire wrote:

Like violating people’s rights, removing free speech, and not allowing people to protests. Oh wait that’s democrats doing that.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 9:25 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Well they want to win, don't they? If the allow that pesky democracy to exist there's a chance they won't win. Perhaps Trump could get some tips from his buddy, Kim Jong-un!

What about California where you can choose a democrat or a democrat cause they rigged the system so only democrats end up in the election

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 9:57 pm

Can the courts intervene in Wisconsin to keep sore losers from being vindictive?

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 10:02 pm

sly279 wrote:
Piobaire wrote:

Like violating people’s rights, removing free speech, and not allowing people to protests. Oh wait that’s democrats doing that.

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/top10#2017

Quote:
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian written by Sherman Alexie
Consistently challenged since its publication in 2007 for acknowledging issues such as poverty, alcoholism, and sexuality, this National Book Award winner was challenged in school curriculums because of profanity and situations that were deemed sexually explicit.

Quote:
Drama written and illustrated by Raina Telgemeier
This Stonewall Honor Award-winning, 2012 graphic novel from an acclaimed cartoonist was challenged and banned in school libraries because it includes LGBT characters and was considered “confusing.”

Quote:
The Kite Runner written by Khaled Hosseini
This critically acclaimed, multigenerational novel was challenged and banned because it includes sexual violence and was thought to “lead to terrorism” and “promote Islam.”

Quote:
George written by Alex Gino
Written for elementary-age children, this Lambda Literary Award winner was challenged and banned because it includes a transgender child.

Quote:
Sex is a Funny Word written by Cory Silverberg and illustrated by Fiona Smyth
This 2015 informational children’s book written by a certified sex educator was challenged because it addresses sex education and is believed to lead children to “want to have sex or ask questions about sex.”

Quote:
And Tango Makes Three written by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson and illustrated by Henry Cole
Returning after a brief hiatus from the Top Ten Most Challenged list, this ALA Notable Children’s Book, published in 2005, was challenged and labeled because it features a same-sex relationship.

Quote:
I Am Jazz written by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings and illustrated by Shelagh McNicholas
This autobiographical picture book co-written by the 13-year-old protagonist was challenged because it addresses gender identity.

Sound like that conservatives like to ban books.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 10:04 pm

it is time to hit Wisconsin where those GOP greedheads will feel it- IN THE POCKETBOOK, as money is the only thing those grubbers seem to grok. BOYCOTT Wisconsin products NOW.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 10:15 pm

DystopianShadows wrote:
Okay, let's get something straight. The United States is a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy. I really wish you Dumbocraps would remember this. If you want to call Republicans names, the road goes both ways.

What does that have to do with the right altering the political outcome with gerrymandering and voter suppression?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 5:55 am

sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DystopianShadows wrote:
Okay, let's get something straight. The United States is a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy. I really wish you Dumbocraps would remember this. If you want to call Republicans names, the road goes both ways.

What does that have to do with the right altering the political outcome with gerrymandering and voter suppression?

The left does the same exact thing and you don’t care, so stop making a this like you care about the act rather then who’s doing it.

While I do know of cases where Democrats have used gerrymandering, when have they ever suppressed anyone's vote? As I recall, it's been the Democrats who in recent history have been the champions of voter rights.

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2018, 6:10 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Nothing new here but the people doing it and possibly the techniques to do it. Whether it's President Roosvelt trying to pack the court, to Clinton issuing pardons at the end of his term, to Mayor Daley supposedly using dead voters to swing the 1960 presidential election, to Superdelegates if not stealing the nomination from Sanders negating any reasonable chance he had, to so-called ballot harvesting in California, there is nothing inherently Republican about gaming the system to ones political advantage damn the will of the voters.

Yes this is whataboutism/Bothsidesism. I prefer to call it politics as usual or human nature. What is also politics as usual, is the victimized pissed off because they were outsmarted screaming bloody murder.

What is concerning about now is the zero-sum game/existential threat/by any means necessary mentality is inevitably going to lead a lot worse than political shenanigans.

I wish there was a way to do to both sides what is done with kids, call a timeout and send both kids to the corner for a period of time, a damn long period of time.

You know what's terrible about the vanity of a whataboutism, so there is much that is needless to say. I don't know how anyone could look at the body of work from the GOP for the last 4 decades and equate them to those examples that you posted up there. It's as disingenuous as to blame nature. Wrong is wrong, regardless of if it's a Democrat or Republican. We should be conscious enough to point out extremes, as adults, specifically cause we're not children

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 6:13 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DystopianShadows wrote:

The left does the same exact thing and you don’t care, so stop making a this like you care about the act rather then who’s doing it.

While I do know of cases where Democrats have used gerrymandering, when have they ever suppressed anyone's vote? As I recall, it's been the Democrats who in recent history have been the champions of voter rights.

Just ask a Bernie Sanders supporter about why Democrats like to suppress voters.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 6:23 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DystopianShadows wrote:

Just ask a Bernie Sanders supporter about why Democrats like to suppress voters.

Touche

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 7:11 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DystopianShadows wrote:

As a matter of fact, I was one of those Bernie supporters. And as such I can tell you what those chicken heads at the DNC pulled was stupid and corrupt, but the fact remains that it hardly compares to the massive voter suppression schemes conducted by the GOP to steal their constitutionally guaranteed vote from millions of racial minorities and poor people.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 8:11 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DystopianShadows wrote:

As a matter of fact, I was one of those Bernie supporters. And as such I can tell you what those chicken heads at the DNC pulled was stupid and corrupt, but the fact remains that it hardly compares to the massive voter suppression schemes conducted by the GOP to steal their constitutionally guaranteed vote from millions of racial minorities and poor people.

How many millions according to the data gathered?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 1:23 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DystopianShadows wrote:

Except when it is Bernie Sanders, primary voters. 2016 is what I would define as recent.

They are champions because they perceive it to be to their political advantage to do that. If it was to their advantage to suppress votes I have no doubt most of them would do it, and the Republicans would be all virtue signaling about how the will of the voters must be upheld.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman