Page 6 of 53 [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 53  Next

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 8:55 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
SZWell wrote:
Warren's officially in. Just need Brown to throw his hat in

Jerry Brown?

Just what this country needs: President Moonbeam (as if Reagan wasn’t enough)!

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2019, 9:13 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
SZWell wrote:
Warren's officially in. Just need Brown to throw his hat in

Jerry Brown?

Sherrod

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 9:20 pm

I'm actually going to vote this time, I will more than likely vote for Trump. The economy is on the upswing and the radical-left needs to be put in check, they are trying to ruin the country. I'm for equality, not forced diversity(discrimination).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 4:37 pm

Democratic Sen. Amy Klobuchar announces run for president

Quote:
Democratic Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota announced at a rally in her home state on Sunday that she is running for president.

"Let us cross the river of our divides and walk across our sturdy bridge to higher ground," Klobuchar said at an outdoor event in Minneapolis where a large crowd stood in snowy, freezing conditions.

A sense of community "is fracturing across our nation right now, worn down by the petty and vicious nature of our politics," she added. "We are all tired of the shutdowns and the putdowns, the gridlock and the grandstanding."

The Minnesota Democrat added it was time "heal the heart of our democracy and renew our commitment to the common good."

She also said she will "focus on getting things done" as president.

"Let me be blunt: For too long leaders in Washington have sat on the sidelines while others try to figure out what to do about the changing economy and its impact on our lives, what to do about the disruptive nature of new technologies, income inequality, the political and geographic divides, the changing climate, the tumult in our world," she said. "For a moment, let’s stop seeing those obstacles as obstacles on our path. Did we view the snow as an obstacle? No we did not. Let’s see those obstacles as our path."

former prosecutor, Klobuchar is looking to run on her legislative record in Congress, where she is known as a moderate who is willing to work with Republicans to achieve policy goals. Klobuchar, who just won reelection to her third term in the Senate, has pursued legislative proposals that aim to promote social media advertising transparency and lower prescription drug prices and played a prominent role in the recently passed farm bill. She also supports a Democratic Green New Deal proposal to combat climate change.

In her remarks on Sunday, Klobuchar called for passing a constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision, restoring the Voting Rights Act, and passing legislation to automatically register people to vote when they turn 18.

The senator also has a record of electoral dominance in a state that is increasingly tilting closer to the middle. Klobuchar won re-election last year with over 60 percent of the vote in a state that has voted Democratic at the presidential level in every election since 1976 but only narrowly went for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Klobuchar has won each of her three Senate elections by more than 20 points. Although she is somewhat of an unknown nationally, recent polling in Iowa, the first caucus state, has found that far more likely caucus-goers view her favorably than not.

Klobuchar raised her national profile during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings last fall for then-Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

Klobuchar asked Kavanaugh, who faced the allegation that he sexually assaulted a woman, Christine Blasey Ford, when they were in high school, if he ever blacked out from drinking too much.

Kavanaugh, who vehemently denied the allegation, responded: "Have you?" He later apologized to to her.

As news of her impending announcement broke last week, Klobuchar faced criticism for reports of mistreating her staff. Citing anonymous sources, HuffPost reported that the alleged mistreatment scared off candidates to manage her presidential bid. BuzzFeed, meanwhile, reported that Klobuchar "ran a workplace controlled by fear, anger, and shame, according to interviews with eight former staffers, one that many employees found intolerably cruel."

"She demeaned and berated her staff almost daily, subjecting them to bouts of explosive rage and regular humiliation within the office, according to interviews and dozens of emails" BuzzFeed reviewed, the publication wrote.

But current and former staffers have come forward to defend the senator.

“Senator Klobuchar loves her staff ― they are the reason she has gotten to where she is today,” a campaign spokesperson said in a statement to HuffPost. “She has many staff who have been with her for years ― including her Chief of Staff and her State Director, who have worked for her for 5 and 7 years respectively ― and many who have gone on to do amazing things, from working in the Obama Administration (over 20 of them) to running for office to even serving as the Agriculture Commissioner for Minnesota. She is proud of them and the work they have done for Minnesota.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2019, 6:56 pm

Of those running so far, Klobuchar is at the top of my list.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 7:46 pm

On the GOP side:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/bill-weld-launches-gop-presidential-exploratory-committee/ar-BBTCVDg?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 7:58 pm

Crimadella wrote:
I'm actually going to vote this time, I will more than likely vote for Trump. The economy is on the upswing and the radical-left needs to be put in check, they are trying to ruin the country. I'm for equality, not forced diversity(discrimination).

Explain this forced diversity(discrimination), what do you mean by that...and what do you think equality means?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2019, 9:17 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

I saw how Weld, and soon probably Kassich, will challenge Trump as the Republican candidate. Whenever a sitting President is challenged from inside his own party, it's always meant his Presidency was at an end. Trumps days in the White House are numbered.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 2:46 am

Bernie Sanders records video announcing 2020 campaign

Quote:
Bernie Sanders, inching closer to a second bid for the White House, has recorded a campaign video in which he says he is running for president in 2020, according to two people familiar with the spot.

It’s the latest sign the independent senator, the runner-up in the 2016 contest for the Democratic nomination, is nearing a presidential announcement.

Another hint that Sanders is getting closer to a launch: As POLITICO reported this week, the Sanders team has been interviewing people for top staff positions. Chuck Rocha, a political consultant who advised Sanders’ 2016 campaign, is expected to join him again if a second bid materializes.

It is unclear when, or even whether, the Sanders video will be released. It’s possible that Sanders could launch a 2020 campaign with an exploratory committee and then formally declare his candidacy later, a route other presidential candidates, such as Sen. Elizabeth Warren, have taken.

Tim Tagaris and Robin Curran, two 2016 alumni who helped power Sanders’ successful small-dollar fundraising program, have agreed to join any second presidential campaign.

The Sanders team has also been in talks with Means of Production, the filmmaking company that created Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s viral campaign video during the midterm election, about a major 2020 role.

Meanwhile, the group founded by Sanders has been readying its members in case he runs. Our Revolution revealed its plans this weekend for the second phase of its campaign to draft Sanders into the presidential race. In a fundraising email sent to supporters, Our Revolution political director David Duhalde asked for donations to help fund phone-banking, door-knocking, volunteer trainings, and other outreach strategies.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 12:02 am

Is Oprah in the race? I'm going to shine up my Oprahmobile in case she is. It's a shiny pea green like the gowns Dianna Ross and The Supremes wore on stage in 64-65.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 12:22 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Is Oprah in the race? I'm going to shine up my Oprahmobile in case she is. It's a shiny pea green like the gowns Dianna Ross and The Supremes wore on stage in 64-65.

I sincerely hope not. A candidate with zero government experience is in the White House, and we all see how disastrous that's proven to be.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 9:34 am

Bernie Sanders Announces 2020 Presidential Run

Quote:
Senator Bernie Sanders, the Vermont independent and 2016 Democratic primary runner-up whose populist policy agenda has helped push the party to the left, announced on Tuesday that he was running for president again, embarking on a bid that will test whether he can retain the anti-establishment appeal he enjoyed with many liberal voters three years ago.

Three years ago, during our 2016 campaign, when we brought forth our progressive agenda we were told that our ideas were ‘radical’ and ‘extreme,’” Mr. Sanders said on Tuesday in an early-morning email to supporters, citing those health, economic and education policies as well as combating climate change and raising taxes on wealthy Americans.

“Well, three years have come and gone. And, as result of millions of Americans standing up and fighting back, all of these policies and more are now supported by a majority of Americans,” he said.

Mr. Sanders did not immediately announce where he would campaign first, nor did he disclose any staffing decisions for his new political operation.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 9:08 pm

Kamala Harris' family is not amused by her drug-use jokes:

DONALD HARRIS SLAMS HIS DAUGHTER SENATOR KAMALA HARRIS FOR FRAUDULENTLY STEREOTYPING JAMAICANS AND ACCUSES HER OF PLAYING IDENTITY POLITICS

Professor Donald Harris Kamala Harris’ Jamaican father, has vigorously dissociated himself from statements made on the New York Breakfast Club radio show earlier this week attributing her support for smoking marijuana to her Jamaican heritage. Professor Harris has issued a statement to jamaicaglobalonline.com in which he declares:

“My dear departed grandmothers(whose extraordinary legacy I described in a recent essay on this website), as well as my deceased parents , must be turning in their grave right now to see their family’s name, reputation and proud Jamaican identity being connected, in any way, jokingly or not with the fraudulent stereotype of a pot-smoking joy seeker and in the pursuit of identity politics. Speaking for myself and my immediate Jamaican family, we wish to categorically dissociate ourselves from this travesty.”

https://www.jamaicaglobalonline.com/don ... -politics/

And by the way, Harris trying to get people to think she is some kind of disadvantaged minority without "white privilege" is ludicrous: her mother was a top-level medical researcher of the Brahmin caste in India, and her father was a Stanford University economist and adviser to Jamaican prime ministers. Harris is in the top one tenth of one percent of the globalist elite.

There Are Four Lights!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 9:17 pm

Darmok wrote:
Kamala Harris' family is not amused by her drug-use jokes:

DONALD HARRIS SLAMS HIS DAUGHTER SENATOR KAMALA HARRIS FOR FRAUDULENTLY STEREOTYPING JAMAICANS AND ACCUSES HER OF PLAYING IDENTITY POLITICS

Professor Donald Harris Kamala Harris’ Jamaican father, has vigorously dissociated himself from statements made on the New York Breakfast Club radio show earlier this week attributing her support for smoking marijuana to her Jamaican heritage. Professor Harris has issued a statement to jamaicaglobalonline.com in which he declares:

“My dear departed grandmothers(whose extraordinary legacy I described in a recent essay on this website), as well as my deceased parents , must be turning in their grave right now to see their family’s name, reputation and proud Jamaican identity being connected, in any way, jokingly or not with the fraudulent stereotype of a pot-smoking joy seeker and in the pursuit of identity politics. Speaking for myself and my immediate Jamaican family, we wish to categorically dissociate ourselves from this travesty.”

https://www.jamaicaglobalonline.com/don ... -politics/

And by the way, Harris trying to get people to think she is some kind of disadvantaged minority without "white privilege" is ludicrous: her mother was a top-level medical researcher of the Brahmin caste in India, and her father was a Stanford University economist and adviser to Jamaican prime ministers. Harris is in the top one tenth of one percent of the globalist elite.

Whoopdeedoo.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 9:39 pm

Virtually every picture I see of Kamala Harris she's not only smiling, she's beaming beyond compare. In video clips it's belly laughs and guffaws. I get it, that she's going for that kind of persona, but no one is that happy to that level that often; and, even if they were, most people either don't believe it to be genuine or they resent it.

We'll see if it pays off.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 9:58 pm

Magna wrote:
Virtually every picture I see of Kamala Harris she's not only smiling, she's beaming beyond compare. In video clips it's belly laughs and guffaws. I get it, that she's going for that kind of persona, but no one is that happy to that level that often; and, even if they were, most people either don't believe it to be genuine or they resent it.

We'll see if it pays off.

Why can't some people just be allowed to be happy? Is everyone supposed to be in a simmering, demented rage like Trump?