goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 12:48 am

toddlers grow out of.

https://www.salon.com/2018/12/04/trump- ... s_partner/

Excerpt:

Quote:
Bandy X. Lee: The sense of grandiose omnipotence that he displays seems especially appealing to his emotionally-needy followers. No matter what the world says, he fights back against criticism, continues to lie in the face of truth, and above all is still president. What matters is that he is winning, not whether he is honest or law-abiding. This may seem puzzling to the rest of us, but when you are overcome with feelings of powerlessness, this type of cartoonish, exaggerated force is often more important than true ability. This is the more primitive morality, as we call it, of “might makes right,” which in normal development you grow out of by age five.

This may explain a lot about some of his fans.. and in particular, Autistic ones - heck - it may explain the mere existence of "Autistics for Trump." It's said that those of us on the spectrum have an emotional age of (an average of) 2/3rds our chronological age. (Yay! I'm 24!) This explains the "Peter Pan," types and so on.. But, it may be that some of us never emotionally mature passed a very young age, i.e. 5 or younger, and that may explain (as per this Psychiatrist) the existence of people on the spectrum throwing their support behind DJT.

I have no idea if there are any stats on the number of people on the spectrum with very young emotional maturity vs. the typical 2/3rds chronological age, but my guess is that it's at least some of us. Come to think of it, that may also explain some behaviours of some forum users here regarding other things besides politics. i.e. Their unwillingness to accept & follow advice, refusing to do things that would clearly benefit them, being a "tattle tale," at every opportunity and so on. It may very well be that these people do in fact have emotional maturity rates of toddlers.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 1:52 am

All Americans have this trait.

DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 1:55 am

A psychiatrist from Yale? I don't put a whole lot of stock into what someone like that thinks.
And actually, if you really look at it, I would say that it is the liberal who continues to display traits that toddlers grow out of. Conservatives don't get triggered by every little thing that's said.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 2:04 am

Psychiatrist from Yale - appeal to authority.

And one more armchair psychoanalysis.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 2:12 am

Prometheus18 wrote:

:lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 2:14 am

DystopianShadows wrote:
A psychiatrist from Yale? I don't put a whole lot of stock into what someone like that thinks.
And actually, if you really look at it, I would say that it is the liberal who continues to display traits that toddlers grow out of. Conservatives don't get triggered by every little thing that's said.

Is Yale's School of Psychiatry known for turning out low grade Psychiatrists or something? I'm unfamiliar with it's reputation beyond the simple fact that it's a big name Ivy League school.

Interesting.. seems you were triggered by this Psychiatrist's analysis into making generalizations about people who identify with either major American political party.. almost like a young child might react. Or so it seems to me, anyways, but I'm just some guy on the internet, definitely not a Psychiatrist and definitely not making any diagnoses - merely observations.

Last edited by goldfish21 on 07 Jan 2019, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 2:16 am

EzraS wrote:
Psychiatrist from Yale - appeal to authority.

And one more armchair psychoanalysis.

Mhmm - but at least it's one made by a professional, qualified, credentialed (you love that!) Psychiatrist.

I'm sure she, and many other Psychiatrists, would love to have an in person interview with DJT to assess him properly.. but the chances of that happening are slim to none & slim just left town.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 2:36 am

Credentials don't count for much when strong personal bias is involved.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 2:38 am

It was pointed out before that Trump is an alpha male.

So it makes sense Trump attracts people who appreciate "ALPHA MALE" qualities, like "Might makes right".

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 2:53 am

Seems some folks would prefer a spineless marshmallow. Someone who's passive and milquetoast.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 3:13 am

EzraS wrote:
Seems some folks would prefer a spineless marshmallow. Someone who's passive and milquetoast.

False. You're mistaking peoples' disgust with Donald's behaviour with a preference for someone weak or passive. Strength is fine - desirable, even. It just needs to be wielded appropriately.. i.e. towards enemies alongside allies as opposed to the other way around resulting in 3 of your top Pentagon officials resigning in the last couple weeks, along with the department's pr woman.

It's like I posted in an L&D thread about another members' misconception that physically strong men are aggressive and violent. Not true. I know many Alpha male strong guys from the beach, some of them world class martial artists, and not a single one of us is an aggro instigator. We are all defenders & protectors.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 9:46 am

Trump acts very much like a toddler sometimes.

"I want my Wall!" = Prolonged Government Shutdown.

I've seen and met some pretty immature Non-Americans, too.....

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 12:57 pm

DystopianShadows wrote:
A psychiatrist from Yale? I don't put a whole lot of stock into what someone like that thinks. And actually, if you really look at it, I would say that it is the liberal who continues to display traits that toddlers grow out of. Conservatives don't get triggered by every little thing that's said.

Hear, hear!!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 1:00 pm

EzraS wrote:
Credentials don't count for much when strong personal bias is involved.

EXACTLY!! This is one of the reasons why I've often said that college degrees don't make someone smart, it only makes them learned.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 1:05 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:

i don't. 8)

DystopianShadows wrote:

are you sure?
you sound severely triggered.
actually no, you're right. they only get triggered by extremely important things, for example, college students dancing on rooftops.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jan 2019, 2:31 pm

I'd have thought he would lose what support he had with his crazy insistence on getting his own way with the wall and threatening to overrule Congress. But no; diehard supporters will excuse anything he says or does, until the day he invokes Order 66!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/