Page 1 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 7:23 am

I'm not religous either but I get very annoyed and offended everytime I see atheists call somebody an idiot for having religous beliefs. They have no respect for anyone else's opinions because they think anyone who doesn't embrace science and cold hard facts is an idiot, so I guess basically when it comes down to it they really aren't much different from those annoying Christians who are always putting down anyone who is a non-Christain. I just don't like seeing people put other people down for the sake of feeling surperior and atheists are just as guilty of that crap as religous fanatics are. :roll:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 7:47 am

I have no problems with atheists, but I have noticed the same thing.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 7:53 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have no problems with atheists, but I have noticed the same thing.

I have problems with everybody. :lol: :oops:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 7:55 am

Some atheists seem to dwell on and talk about christianity extensively. Almost as if they're trying to convince themselves. They don't talk much about Judaism because that would be anti-Semitic or Islam because that would be Islamaphobic.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:01 am

EzraS wrote:
Some atheists seem to dwell on and talk about christianity extensively. Almost as if they're trying to convince themselves. They don't talk much about Judaism because that would be anti-Semitic or Islam because that would be Islamaphobic.

Yeah it's socially acceptable to hate Christains because they condemn homosexuality, even though Jews and Muslims do too. But we all know that admitting you dislike both of their religions makes you evil!! ! If you're gonna pick a religion to hate pick Christains because they are somehow worse than every other religion! (they really aren't). :wtg:

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:05 am

The problem I see is that people latch onto scientific conjecture as facts.

All science should start with and strongly emphasize ...

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:10 am

The problem isn't so much what people think, but rather how they act and what they want to have influence over. You can think that'd it'd be kind of moral to throw homosexuals of rooftops because an old book said so if you like, but in a civilized society that's still murder. You can think blood transfusions are immoral and opt not to have one, but if something that simple could have saved you childs life and you decided fossilized philosophy was more important, I'm still going to call you a neglectful child abuser and probably murderer. You can think divine decree says genital mutilation is the best thing ever, but only your genitals are yours to mutilate and you are free to do so when you're old enough to make that decision. You can think the Earth is 6000 years old and that it was created in seven days if you like, but we're not going to stop teaching verifiable facts in schools because it hurts your feelings.

You are entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:16 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
The problem I see is that people latch onto scientific conjecture as facts.

All science should start with and strongly emphasize ...

And a funny thing I have noticed about science is that it CAN be wrong and things regarded as being scientic facts are always changing over time.

Like the food pyramid we learned about when I was in school. Now it has been changed to something called the "MyPlate" because people now realize that a lot of the facts regarding what foods people should eat on the Food Pyramid were actually wrong.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:23 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
The problem isn't so much what people think, but rather how they act and what they want to have influence over. You can think that'd it'd be kind of moral to throw homosexuals of rooftops because an old book said so if you like, but in a civilized society that's still murder. You can think blood transfusions are immoral and opt not to have one, but if something that simple could have saved you childs life and you decided fossilized philosophy was more important, I'm still going to call you a neglectful child abuser and probably murderer. You can think divine decree says genital mutilation is the best thing ever, but only your genitals are yours to mutilate and you are free to do so when you're old enough to make that decision. You can think the Earth is 6000 years old and that it was created in seven days if you like, but we're not going to stop teaching verifiable facts in schools because it hurts your feelings.

But when an atheist tells a person who is scared of dying that they should just shut up and accept the fact that the afterlife is a fairytale and we're all just going to die a painful death and then rot away as bugs eat us I think that crosses the line.

If an atheist isn't bothered by that then more power to them, but they have no right to force that on somebody who just wants to feel hopeful about dying and they have no right to call that person an idiot.

And believe me they do it all the time. I know because I hear it myself.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:29 am

I believe it when you say that's what you hear. I'm not so convinced that's what they're actually saying. And I Think a hard truth is preferrable to hollow assurances from someone who cannot possibly know what they're saying is true.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:31 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
You can think the Earth is 6000 years old and that it was created in seven days if you like, but we're not going to stop teaching verifiable facts in schools because it hurts your feelings.

Everyone is entitled to their own facts, because, PHILOSOPHY 101 ... no human knows the truth.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 9:54 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
You can think the Earth is 6000 years old and that it was created in seven days if you like, but we're not going to stop teaching verifiable facts in schools because it hurts your feelings.

Everyone is entitled to their own facts, because, PHILOSOPHY 101 ... no human knows the truth.

Splendid. So posit you go to the doctor with a broken leg, and the doctor opts to tackle your ailment with an injection of cyanide. Is there some reason you would object? After all, the statements "cyanide cures broken legs" and "cyanide is a deadly poison that does not cure broken legs" are just as true as one another, because no one knows, right? So the doctor is entitled to act in accordance with their own fact. And should you die immediately following said injection, well...that might be unrelated, because probability judgements are also useless, right?

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 10:37 am

I'm an atheist but I respect others' religious beliefs. When it comes to science and religion, I'd be fine if someone is a devoutly religious biology teacher who teaches evolution when in reality, he/she doesn't truly believe in it. As long as science doesn't get in the way of religion and religion doesn't get in the way of science, it's absolutely okay to believe what you want to believe.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 10:49 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Splendid. So posit you go to the doctor with a broken leg, and the doctor opts to tackle your ailment with an injection of cyanide. Is there some reason you would object? After all, the statements "cyanide cures broken legs" and "cyanide is a deadly poison that does not cure broken legs" are just as true as one another, because no one knows, right? So the doctor is entitled to act in accordance with their own fact. And should you die immediately following said injection, well...that might be unrelated, because probability judgements are also useless, right?

There are such a thing as quack doctors who really do that sort of thing. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 10:52 am

I have had very few problems with atheists, especially after a couple of beers. The ones that want to ridicule me for my beliefs are easily ignored, and the rest are actually fun to have around.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 10:54 am

warrier120 wrote:
I'm an atheist but I respect others' religious beliefs. When it comes to science and religion, I'd be fine if someone is a devoutly religious biology teacher who teaches evolution when in reality, he/she doesn't truly believe in it. As long as science doesn't get in the way of religion and religion doesn't get in the way of science, it's absolutely okay to believe what you want to believe.

The overwhelming majority of religious people also believe in science.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!