white people never viewed other races as equal do you agree

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cemil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2019, 11:17 am

At the back of white people's mind they never viewed other races as equal .. do you agree?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 11:18 am

no.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 11:19 am

No race has viewed other races as equal. Ever.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 11:30 am

I get the feeling somebody hates white people and thinks that they are all the same.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 1:48 pm

Please define white people in a consistent manner. :wink:
(The concept hasn't always existed, isn't used with a consistent definition through-out history and isn't 100% consistent between the English speaking world and the other former colonial 'spheres' (like Anglosphere vs. Francosphere vs. Iberio-, etc).

Some individuals who would be considered white by current Anglo society certainly don't view people from other backgrounds as equals, but others most certainly do.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 2:49 pm

Yes. It's logical and even encouraged to make sweeping statements about groups of people (up to and including an entire race) and declare that ALL people in that group think exactly alike about something.........(sarc).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 3:46 pm

cemil wrote:
At the back of white people's mind they never viewed other races as equal .. do you agree?

I never thought one race was inferior than the other and I always thought everyone was human and equal.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest so I never witnessed any racism or heard and my area has always been diverse because we have lot of immigrants here and we would have at least one black kid in our grade and no one ever treated them bad or singled them out. I didn't even know anything about racism until I read it in books and saw it in movies that were about that. I didn't even know there were areas in the US where people were still racist but they do it differently now. I also saw it more in the media and that was it but never in person.

I don't buy that all white people are racist or that you are automatically racist just because you are white. No one is born racist, it is taught and if you live around racism, you learn it because you pick up on it in society as a child and then start thinking there is something wrong with being black or being something else. Even if your parents are liberal and not racist, you still learn it from others around you if you live where lot of people are racist. Maybe that is what people are talking about when they say all white people are racist because they assume we are all exposed to it growing up and we subconsciously learned to be racist.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 4:04 pm

League_Girl wrote:
cemil wrote:

I never thought one race was inferior than the other and I always thought everyone was human and equal.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest so I never witnessed any racism or heard and my area has always been diverse because we have lot of immigrants here and we would have at least one black kid in our grade and no one ever treated them bad or singled them out. I didn't even know anything about racism until I read it in books and saw it in movies that were about that. I didn't even know there were areas in the US where people were still racist but they do it differently now. I also saw it more in the media and that was it but never in person.

I don't buy that all white people are racist or that you are automatically racist just because you are white. No one is born racist, it is taught and if you live around racism, you learn it because you pick up on it in society as a child and then start thinking there is something wrong with being black or being something else. Even if your parents are liberal and not racist, you still learn it from others around you if you live where lot of people are racist. Maybe that is what people are talking about when they say all white people are racist because they assume we are all exposed to it growing up and we subconsciously learned to be racist.

I grew up in the deep south and I'm not racist at all. In fact my classes were always half black students and half white students compared to your "one per class" and we all got along great. I've also had several black and white female teachers who treated all of their students the same no matter what their skin color was.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 5:38 pm

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 6:09 pm

RushKing wrote:

I've heard that race in the UK (especially London) isn't considered as big an issue as it is here in the US. They tend to focus more on classism. What are your thoughts?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 6:13 pm

Every culture is ethnocentric. Every little tribe as a high opinion of itself, and its own culture, And that includes about how about how their own people look. Light skinned Europeans are no exception. But that didn't matter much prior to the Age of Discovery. Every culture and ethnic group lived in relative isolation, and only had to worry about its immedieate neighbors (the tribes next door). Your immediate neighbors on the continent did not look all that different from you.

The cultures of the ancient Near East and Mediterranean ( Greeks and Romans and the later Islamic Arabs) considered people of "both extremes": the tall blonde blue eyed barbarians of Northern Europe, and the dark skinned people of Africa beyond the Sahara, to be inferior, and it was obvious to them that "us olive skinned folks" in the middle hue are the greatest and most civilized race.

But Five centuries ago Prince Henry the Navigator of Portugal invested in making his county the leader in sea navigation and exploration, kicking off a kind of "space race" with his neighbor Spain who hired Columbus, and its sparked Europe's age of discovery. This lead to the whole planet falling under the domination of Light skinned Europeans for the next half of a millennium. The legacy of that accident of history is that light skinned still dominate the planet, and dominate within most countries.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 6:22 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
RushKing wrote:

I've heard that race in the UK (especially London) isn't considered as big an issue as it is here in the US. They tend to focus more on classism. What are your thoughts?

Back in the Seventies, the Black American author Alex Haley, author of "Roots" ( the book turned into a TV miniseries)based loosely upon his own family's ancestry in slavery and beyond in Africa, got laughs from Americans (both Black and White) when he talked about researching a White root of his ancestry. Via a slave owner he had ancestry in Ireland and he had a local guide take him around Ireland. And everywhere in Ireland the guide would introduce him as "a Protestant from America".

His skin color didn't matter to the locals. It was which sect of Christianity that obsessed them.

I guess everyone is hung up about sumpin. But not always about the same things.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 6:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
RushKing wrote:

Back in the Seventies, the Black American author Alex Haley, author of "Roots" ( the book turned into a TV miniseries)based loosely upon his own family's ancestry in slavery and beyond in Africa, got laughs from Americans (both Black and White) when he talked about researching a White root of his ancestry. Via a slave owner he had ancestry in Ireland and he had a local guide take him around Ireland. And everywhere in Ireland the guide would introduce him as "a Protestant from America".

His skin color didn't matter to the locals. It was which sect of Christianity that obsessed them.

I guess everyone is hung up about sumpin. But not always about the same things.

Many people I talk to online from the UK often laugh about how "racially charged" the USA is. In this country regardless if you actually are a racist bigot or you're one of those hippy liberals fighting for social justice and equality and saying things like "One of my best friends is a black guy and we're all nice to him!" EVERYTHING has to revolve around race here.... :roll:

(I admit I'm guilty of the later too :oops: )

I think Americans really do obsess too much on race. It would be very nice if we let the past stay in the past and we truly didn't give a damn about skin color but lol nope.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 6:44 pm

I agree the OP’s statement is racist.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 6:55 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I agree the OP’s statement is racist.

Agreed :D

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 5:52 am

No but every 'race' (made up term) which is the top of the racial hierarchy finds it hard to break out of the superiority mindset, even when they try to. And some people really try to. They don't realise it, it's a subconscious thing.

What's wrong is the assumption that racial hierarchy is the same everywhere or that racial hierarchy is what matters everywhere. Some places treat different ethnicities similarly but have a lot of snobbishness.

Race is made up, too, so what one person sees as a racial divide with a hierarchy is what another person view as two white people. Or two black people for that matter. Especially because this is the World Wide Web.

I think the OP, if American, would probably have these feelings (they're very deep down, I think few people consciously think racist thoughts without feeling guilty) against people back in Africa, especially the poor.

I know I have this issue of forgetting other races' problems. I think 'famine was a long time ago' etc. It requires a conscious effort to stop and think 'but there are people dying from starvation in Africa' because in my mind famine = an gorta mor.