Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 1:45 pm

It seems to be the easiest way to get traction in US politics these days is to propose big bold ideas that are unrealistic:

Examples:
Trump: "We're going to build a wall and have Mexico pay for it"
AOC: "We're going to be carbon free in 10 years, and grow our economy doing it"

These type of politicians move the needle and get devoted, one could argue fanatical fanbases. However, it seems to me we need more politicians of the type like Klobuchar (of the democrats) and Kasich (of the republicans). Now Kasich didn't do that badly in the 2016 election. He accumulated the 3rd most delegates, won his home state of Ohio and many thought would win a delegate locked convention if he could get there. However, from the beginning no one took him seriously to win the nomination.

Recently Klobuchar has been staging a similar style campaign in her presidential election bid. She's already famous for her "Magic Genie" townhall answer, (and saladgate, but honestly that seems way overblown to me). I'll be curious to see if she can gain traction in the Democratic party, but most pundits seem to think the democrat nominee will be significantly if not far left leaning.

The question I pose: How can we make pragmatism and moderation inspire voters and political activists the way that fringe bold politics does? Is it even possible?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 2:13 pm

Looks like a "Joe Biden - Kamala Harris" ticket to me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 3:35 pm

Antrax wrote:
It seems to be the easiest way to get traction in US politics these days is to propose big bold ideas that are unrealistic:

Examples:
Trump: "We're going to build a wall and have Mexico pay for it"
AOC: "We're going to be carbon free in 10 years, and grow our economy doing it"

These type of politicians move the needle and get devoted, one could argue fanatical fanbases. However, it seems to me we need more politicians of the type like Klobuchar (of the democrats) and Kasich (of the republicans). Now Kasich didn't do that badly in the 2016 election. He accumulated the 3rd most delegates, won his home state of Ohio and many thought would win a delegate locked convention if he could get there. However, from the beginning no one took him seriously to win the nomination.

Recently Klobuchar has been staging a similar style campaign in her presidential election bid. She's already famous for her "Magic Genie" townhall answer, (and saladgate, but honestly that seems way overblown to me). I'll be curious to see if she can gain traction in the Democratic party, but most pundits seem to think the democrat nominee will be significantly if not far left leaning.

The question I pose: How can we make pragmatism and moderation inspire voters and political activists the way that fringe bold politics does? Is it even possible?

What's Saladgate? But I understand where you're coming from. We need more centrist, pragmatic candidates.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 4:42 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

What's Saladgate? But I understand where you're coming from. We need more centrist, pragmatic candidates.

Reportedly an aid didn't bring Klobuchar a plastic fork to eat her salad with, so she yelled at him a bit, ate her salad with a hair comb and then ordered him to clean the comb. Honestly doesn't sound too bad to me, but got a like a news' cycle worth of coverage.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 10:04 pm

I'm surprised people outside Minnesota know who Klobuchar is. She's one of the senators of my home state. I say I'm surprised people outside Minnesota know who she is, because I couldn't tell you the names of senators of states far from me like (picking randomly) Idaho, Mississippi, North Carolina, Montana. I wouldn't expect people in those states to know who she is.

I lost respect for her for the following specific reason:

You may recall that there was a brief blip in the news about how congress and the senate had a slush fund of taxpayer money set aside to pay off people (one can assume nearly all being women) who were sexually harassed by sitting politicians. In other words, members of congress and the senate were and presumably are getting away with sexual harassment without consequence. I was incensed by hearing such a thing. I emailed a letter to both senators Klobuchar and at the time, Franken asking them to support deposing both Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell, the leaders of congress an the senate respectively since, being the leaders as they were/are, they should be held accountable for letting such unacceptable behavior go unchecked.

I sent the emails to both Klobuchar and Franken, literally the day before the news broke with the lewd and disgusting picture of Franken that ended up resulting in part in him resigning from the Senate. Clearly, I didn't expect any email response about sexual harassment in the senate from Franken and never received one. I received any email from Klobuchar or her office in response to my letter either. Shameful and unacceptable; especially since she purports herself to be a champion of women.