Page 4 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 6:19 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think intellectual modesty is a very valuable trait.

Let's say you don't know anything about biological sampling methods. Why would you? They don't affect your life, so unless they were part of your study or career then you have no real reason to know about them.

But at least acknowledge that you know nothing. Don't make things up about biologists extrapolating from one park to the whole world. Don't make things up about scientists not knowing that insect populations fluctuate seasonally. And certainly don't assume that there's nothing you don't know about ecology. (Incidentally the highest recorded atmospheric temperature in the world is 56.7 degrees in Death Valley; nothing lives at 97 degrees)

There's a lot of information out there on the internet for you. If you're interested in biological sampling methods, ecology, or the observed impacts of climate change upon the natural world, then look them up!

The problem with asking laymen to look up information is that most people will look for sources that already confirm their biases and only get information from those biased sources. If your go-to for "information" is a source like Fox News, for example, you are actively misinforming yourself and doing more damage than if you simply allowed yourself to remain ignorant.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 6:22 pm

Death Valley routinely passes 50 Degrees Celsius in July and August.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 6:26 pm

Pepe wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

given what's at stake, it is, in my humble opinion, on the anthropogenic climate change deniers to prove, with 100% (or at least 99%) certainty, that their rival theories are right.

Pardon the aside, but you are aware that the use of the term "denier" is a pejorative?
And that people who use the term erode their credibility in terms of objectivity...?
If you want to maintain an emotive free argument, may I suggest you use "skeptic" instead? :wink:

but there are genuine deniers. and it's not a pejorative term, it's a descriptive one. There's people saying co2 is actually good for the globe - I demand they prove that with 100% certainty.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 6:28 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
The problem with asking laymen to look up information is that most people will look for sources that already confirm their biases and only get information from those biased sources. If your go-to for "information" is a source like Fox News, for example, you are actively misinforming yourself and doing more damage than if you simply allowed yourself to remain ignorant.

Curious that you have such a negative view on Fox News...
Are you talking about Fox News in America?

May I also suggest one does what one does...errr...I mean what I do:
1. Get views from outlets on both sides of the political divide...
2. "Deconstruct" what has been said via critical thinking...
3. Use your own life wisdom to determine what is most reasonable...

Perhaps not so simples... :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 6:36 pm

shlaifu wrote:
Pepe wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

given what's at stake, it is, in my humble opinion, on the anthropogenic climate change deniers to prove, with 100% (or at least 99%) certainty, that their rival theories are right.

Pardon the aside, but you are aware that the use of the term "denier" is a pejorative?
And that people who use the term erode their credibility in terms of objectivity...?
If you want to maintain an emotive free argument, may I suggest you use "skeptic" instead? :wink:

but there are genuine deniers. and it's not a pejorative term, it's a descriptive one. There's people saying co2 is actually good for the globe - I demand they prove that with 100% certainty.

Trust me, it *is* used as a pejorative...whether one likes it or not... :wink:
It is a derivative from a very, very emotional source...
Think outside this particular context...
I dare not be more specific in fear of generating an emotive response... 8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 6:37 pm

There are microorganisms that can survive at just below 100 Degrees Celsius.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 6:46 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think intellectual modesty is a very valuable trait.

Let's say you don't know anything about biological sampling methods. Why would you? They don't affect your life, so unless they were part of your study or career then you have no real reason to know about them.

But at least acknowledge that you know nothing. Don't make things up about biologists extrapolating from one park to the whole world. Don't make things up about scientists not knowing that insect populations fluctuate seasonally. And certainly don't assume that there's nothing you don't know about ecology. (Incidentally the highest recorded atmospheric temperature in the world is 56.7 degrees in Death Valley; nothing lives at 97 degrees)

There's a lot of information out there on the internet for you. If you're interested in biological sampling methods, ecology, or the observed impacts of climate change upon the natural world, then look them up!

The problem is this is a complex science and engineering issue that has been politicized. A little knowledge is dangerous and I try not to claim any knowledge (undoubtedly I will hypocritically at some point proclaim more knowledge than I actually have) on climate issues beyond what I have great confidence in which is the following staments: warming happening definitely, CO2 influence probable, many factors are uncertain, and precise predictions are unlikely. There will be advocates for "both" sides that will make equally ridiculous statements like life on earth will cease to exist or climate science is all a hoax.

I am familiar with many of the engineering issues at play with trying to remove fossil fuels and find drastic unrealistic promises like those proposed by AOC and her followers dangerous. The Green New Deal has no hope of delivering on its promises and in my estimation has a better chance of setting off world war three (by virtue of starting an economic depression) than it does of preventing climate change.

Also the hottest temperature ever recorded was 134 degrees. 56.7 is a cool day. (This is tongue planted firmly in cheek, but not everyone uses the same temperature scale).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 6:51 pm

Walrus is English. He uses the Celsius scale. We, in the US, obviously use Fahrenheit. I believe the only other country that now uses Fahrenheit is Belize.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 6:52 pm

Pepe wrote:

I don't believe there are "both sides" to factual information, so I get my information from sources that present factual information without reference to political "sides".

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 6:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Walrus is English. He uses the Celsius scale. We, in the US, obviously use Fahrenheit. I believe the only other country that now uses Fahrenheit is Belize.

Am I using the expression tongue firmly planted in cheek wrong? The expression never made any sense to me anyways, but I think it goes something along the lines of "I know this is silly."

Crimadella (an american I believe) posted 97 degrees, to which walrus responded that nothing lives at 97 degrees (factually incorrect as deep sea microbes on volcanic vents can actually grow above 100C, but that's beside the point).

I was trying to point out to Walrus that Crimadella likely was using the Fahrenheit scale without coming off like a complete *ss, by making light of the situation. Perhaps this too was a mistake.

Perhaps on an autism site I should just always say exactly what I mean and not try to use common expressions that I may or may not understand.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 7:05 pm

^ You're cool, my friend.

I think you're all right.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 9:07 pm

Pepe wrote:

I don't believe there are "both sides" to factual information, so I get my information from sources that present factual information without reference to political "sides".

Really? So you have logged all information produced by independent study and have verified with all scientists involved in climate study and written a report to suggest that the main driver for climate change is human activity? I highly doubt that.

Crimadella was using fahrenheit. Crimadella understands just how corrupt people can be, including government, as they seem to always wish to enslave people. That seems to happen all throughout time. So crimadella also is aware that something as politically driven as climate change will surely be 'paid' for by those who wish to prove it is man driven (mostly), and those who wish to prove that humans have little impact. If your boss hires you to prove that humans are the main driver for climate change, are you going to tell them it isn't and get fired, or continue your research, tell them what they want to hear and continue to get paid. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think many scientists work for free. It's obvious that human activity effects the atmosphere, it's also obvious that corruption exists. Crimadella is also aware that you can't ship 40 weather balloons out and get an accurate reading on global averages , I'm not that stupid. When things are driven by corrupt factors, it's kinda wise to second guess them. If there wild predictions actually came true, perhaps there would be less doubt? Being they tend to have a pattern of predicting dooms day outcomes repeatedly that never seem to come true, one has to question is there a corrupt factor at play? Then it stands out even more so like a corrupt factor when you notice that generally republicans are against the idea while democrats tell us we have 12 years or the issue will be out of control and...another dooms day prediction. I don't have an answer, I am aware that corruption exists on a very wide scale. I sure seems like the perfect scheme to gain more power over the population, who can save us....o that's right, the government.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 9:18 pm

I think if people really cared they would be more concerned with allowing people to actually use the technology that scientists have already developed rather than let corporations sit on it with obviously no intentions on using it. About 18 years ago I was reading about solar cells which far surpass the ones on the market.

Last edited by Crimadella on 06 Mar 2019, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 9:20 pm

Quote:
I think if people really cared they wold be more concerned with allowing people to actually use the technology that scientists have already developed rather than let corporations sit on it with obviously no intentions on using it.

^Seconded.

The atmosphere doesn't care what we think about our political parties. It can kill us all if we f**k up. Air has mass whether you feel it or not.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2019, 5:01 am

That door swings both ways. Most of the stuff presented by the laypeople who seem to think they're all about science, has been in the form of articles from pulp media sources.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2019, 5:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Death Valley routinely passes 50 Degrees Celsius in July and August.

And it's full of life. I know that because I've been there a few times.