which languages do u consider the more difficult ones

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 6:24 pm

in terms of intonation, i am guessing spoken Thai from what i've read, THIRTEEN different intonations/inflections to remember, case by case.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 6:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
For to speak with the Englishness, I am have much trouble some speakings.

:lmao:
Always entertaining. :wink:
But isn't this politically incorrect these days? 8O

How so?

Mocking immigrants??
How could you miss that? :wink:
It is frowned upon in Australia at least...

He didn't mention immigrants per se.

He didn't have to be explicit...
Native English speaking people don't speak like that.
That is self-evident, surely.

Did you get out on the wrong side of the bed this morning? <chuckle>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 6:31 pm

me learn talk purty some day soon.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 6:35 pm

from having read about it, i'm pretty sure that English is among the easiest languages for most other tongues to pick up passably well, but it is also among the hardest ones to master. an interesting thing about it is that there aren't very many other languages whose native speakers mostly fail to stay on top of proper grammar/syntax, as with amuuuurican-style English.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 6:36 pm

auntblabby wrote:
me learn talk purty some day soon.

<sing>
"Folks are dumb where I come from, doing what comes naturally."

https://youtu.be/fz8PpSHvBfQ

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 10:15 pm

Fnord wrote:

...etc...
Pepe wrote:

But. But. Erm. But...It's can be difference. Different. But... Um... Different times...
Sorry. Sorry. Um...
It's... it's... when... if... my brain... Erm... Shop. Shop? No... Shots it... Shot...ted dow... Aargh!.. Shutted downs it...
Different times...
Doesn't do... its like... yes, forum!.. forum!...
When... I... Writesing... writes...ing? ...write...s...ing? ... Hmmm, forum...
Doesn't its... not... Ugh!
Sorry...
It. Is. Not. On... um... Like. On...um... The. Forum. Pffff....when I... if writes(...ing?) it... words.
Writes? Write... Hmmm...
When... if... if... shutted... if... shutted... when... I... my... I... my brain shut(...ted?) downs times, ...
Um. Um... Oh... it's... Ffff?... Ffff?... Fffnnn?... Fnnnn?... Fnord... Ah...
Is. It's worses... is... um... worse it... from... from... worse... if... um... than it... Fnord writed it.

[Poetic licence of course; but based on how my language shut-downs seem to me at a certain stage, and what I can gather from a few people who've been on the receiving end. I'm convinced that the word "sorry" is always the last to go - very British!]

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 11:44 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Fnord wrote:

...etc...
Pepe wrote:

But. But. Erm. But...It's can be difference. Different. But... Um... Different times...
Sorry. Sorry. Um...
It's... it's... when... if... my brain... Erm... Shop. Shop? No... Shots it... Shot...ted dow... Aargh!.. Shutted downs it...
Different times...
Doesn't do... its like... yes, forum!.. forum!...
When... I... Writesing... writes...ing? ...write...s...ing? ... Hmmm, forum...
Doesn't its... not... Ugh!
Sorry...
It. Is. Not. On... um... Like. On...um... The. Forum. Pffff....when I... if writes(...ing?) it... words.
Writes? Write... Hmmm...
When... if... if... shutted... if... shutted... when... I... my... I... my brain shut(...ted?) downs times, ...
Um. Um... Oh... it's... Ffff?... Ffff?... Fffnnn?... Fnnnn?... Fnord... Ah...
Is. It's worses... is... um... worse it... from... from... worse... if... um... than it... Fnord writed it.

[Poetic licence of course; but based on how my language shut-downs seem to me at a certain stage, and what I can gather from a few people who've been on the receiving end. I'm convinced that the word "sorry" is always the last to go - very British!]

I find you to be a very articulate person but I don't really understand why you replied to me and what your point is. :scratch:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 11:43 am

^ Not an attack at you personally Pepe, and I didn't find the preceding banter at all offensive; it just happened that it provided a neat jumping off point. I was making more of a general point that if someone is having trouble speaking whatever language, we shouldn't jump to conclusions about why. The articulacy with which you credit me (thankyou) is unfortunately somewhat fragile under trying conditions (written as well as spoken). My apologies for not making this clearer in the original post; it just seemed better not to think about it too hard at the time, because I was trying to give an impression of when I'm not able to.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 11:46 am

Arganger wrote:
ALL OF THEM

:thumright:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 4:45 pm

French

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 5:21 pm

Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

How so?

Mocking immigrants??

? <chuckle>

Dude.. obviously he is talking like an immigrant.
But finding humor in how immigrants talk is not enough to make it violate "political correctness".

Surely that must be "self evident" to you.

How COULD that be construed as offensive?

All Fnord did was show how immigrants sound just as bad in our language as we would sound in their language, ergo they are just like us. Ergo they are no worse than us.

Just putting on a dialect is not un pc.

You can put on, say, a Mexican dialect and not ruffle the feathers of even the most sensitive SJW.
However ..if you do your Mexican dialect act with a lot of refrains of "Manana ...manana..[tomorrow, tomorrow]" then you would be crossing a line (mildly as it might be) into a racial stereotype- that of Mexicans being lazy or something.

So then THAT would cross the line into un pc country. Not saying that that particular border crossing would be worst thing in the world (maybe its serious, maybe its not). Just saying that that is what un pc looks like.

What Fnord did (kinda of an Andy Kaufman style "universal foreigner" thing) doesn't paint immigrants as having any kind of character flaws as a group.

And in fact- if anything- the butt of his joke is not immigrants, but is the English language itself, and its arbitrary logic.

Why DONT we all say "speakings"? Think about it.

A moment in which you talk could be called a "a speaking". Its not only kinda logical, but would be kind of a useful idiom to have. They probably DO say it that way in many languages.

Foreign born comics (like Victor Borge, and Desi Arnez), have done famous bits like that that seem to spoof their own speech but are really subtle digs at the English language itself.

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 12:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

How so?

Mocking immigrants??

? <chuckle>

Dude.. obviously he is talking like an immigrant.
But finding humor in how immigrants talk is not enough to make it violate "political correctness".

Surely that must be "self evident" to you.

How COULD that be construed as offensive?

All Fnord did was show how immigrants sound just as bad in our language as we would sound in their language, ergo they are just like us. Ergo they are no worse than us.

Just putting on a dialect is not un pc.

You can put on, say, a Mexican dialect and not ruffle the feathers of even the most sensitive SJW.
However ..if you do your Mexican dialect act with a lot of refrains of "Manana ...manana..[tomorrow, tomorrow]" then you would be crossing a line (mildly as it might be) into a racial stereotype- that of Mexicans being lazy or something.

So then THAT would cross the line into un pc country. Not saying that that particular border crossing would be worst thing in the world (maybe its serious, maybe its not). Just saying that that is what un pc looks like.

What Fnord did (kinda of an Andy Kaufman style "universal foreigner" thing) doesn't paint immigrants as having any kind of character flaws as a group.

And in fact- if anything- the butt of his joke is not immigrants, but is the English language itself, and its arbitrary logic.

Why DONT we all say "speakings"? Think about it.

A moment in which you talk could be called a "a speaking". Its not only kinda logical, but would be kind of a useful idiom to have. They probably DO say it that way in many languages.

Foreign born comics (like Victor Borge, and Desi Arnez), have done famous bits like that that seem to spoof their own speech but are really subtle digs at the English language itself.

if everyone does speakings like that, it will evolve into the correct form .