Make a guess on how long until your country falls apart

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 3:48 pm

From where I live, here somewhere in the larger Catholic country of the Maritime Southeast Asia -- I have 3 guesses.

First would and my most cynical one be would be in a cultural sense -- around since 1520s and buried deep, not really around 1970s like most people knew from the textbooks and elders.

Second would be a bit practical. Economically speaking, since 1980s to, well, anytime now because of the government. The stats and numbers in the net, real or not, doesn't reflect the majority's reality. If I were paranoid, it's because of China and possible war.

Third if I give anything a benefit of a doubt, well.. Around 5-150 years or so. But not by falling apart in a cultural or economical sense, but something to do with the climate change and rising sea levels. Then the indirect effects of the first and second reasons when if happens.

Sorry to butt in. :lol: Yet not sorry for not being from Europe or America.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 4:01 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
What is the main issue between the UK and EU?

There is no one simple answer on this. Different people will give you different answers, some will then disagree with each other over the answers claiming they are based on false information and misunderstands and then others will claim the same the other way.

Good luck with your question.

I’ve heard some people say that Brexit was about trade, and others say it was about immigration.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 4:23 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

There is no one simple answer on this. Different people will give you different answers, some will then disagree with each other over the answers claiming they are based on false information and misunderstands and then others will claim the same the other way.

I’ve heard some people say that Brexit was about trade, and others say it was about immigration.

The British handymen didn't like all of those Polish handymen coming in and bidding down the price of home repair work. That's the only actual complaint about the EU I ever heard.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 9:18 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
My country will fall apart the moment the original poster stops beating her spouse! :lol:

I've never even been on a date so how can I stop doing something I'm not?

Or are you saying your country has already fallen? :| :lol:

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 10:19 pm

Arganger wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
My country will fall apart the moment the original poster stops beating her spouse! :lol:

I've never even been on a date so how can I stop doing something I'm not?

Or are you saying your country has already fallen? :| :lol:

The question is "when..." not "if". That's my point. So its a loaded question. Like asking "are you still beating your wife?" ( if you answer "no" you're implying that you still beat her, if you answer "yes" you are admitting to having beaten her).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:19 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Immigration has stirred the pot in many areas in Europe.
Some people don't want to mention it because it is politically incorrect.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:42 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

it was about many different things to many different people, which is a part of why it is quite a mess now.

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 May 2019, 12:00 pm

Pepe wrote:
I heard somewhere that climate change will wipe out humanity in 12 years. :mrgreen:

Ooh hope so. Then all countries are finished at the brutal level of physical matter and we can form a far nicer ghost world of ghost countries. Which have no means to be violent to each other.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 May 2019, 2:24 pm

Pepe wrote:

The complete opposite tbh. These days, it is politically correct to say that immigration is bad. Telling the truth, that only racists are opposed to immigration, is politically incorrect.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 2:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

The British handymen didn't like all of those Polish handymen coming in and bidding down the price of home repair work. That's the only actual complaint about the EU I ever heard.

The other reason is that the British could never get any of their resolutions through the EU.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 May 2019, 2:31 pm

shlaifu wrote:
country: decades, at least. I'm not worried about the country I live in. Nothern Central Europe seems stable.
However, the EU .... not so sure. Mainly because I think that the Euro is very problematic.
Maybe there'll be a Euro-north and everyone else goes back to drachma, lira or pesos. I'm not sure if that would break the EU, though.
and while some countries want outl like the UK and I think Hungary and some others, yet others want in. so... don't know. I think it'll rather turn into an ineffective mess than actually fall apart.

Also: I don't think the UK is finished. It just needs some rethinking of how neoliberal it wants to be. Maybe the scots and the welsh and the northern Irish will band together and invade england.

Hungary should be kicked out of the EU. They need us more than we need them. They are holding the continent back and their two largest parties are fascist. Give all Hungarians the right to freedom of movement but otherwise treat the country the same as Serbia until they elect some good neoliberal leaders. This would have the advantage of allowing us to move forward while also putting the fear of god into Poland and Austria who both really value EU membership. It won't happen, because Poland and Austria won't allow it (probably the biggest issue with the EU is that if two or three rogue nations team up then they're basically unstoppable), but the EU would be better off if it did.

The current problem with the UK is that it is insufficiently neoliberal. Also think you have a very strange view of Northern Ireland, which is by far the most conservative part of the country, and even Wales. Both the main parties have been taken over by authoritarian wings and the liberal wings are slowly eroding. The Liberal Democrats remain a relatively insignificant force and Change UK are unlikely to win as many seats as they currently hold. Until neoliberalism makes a resurgence then the country will remain in the grip of populist authoritarianism.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 May 2019, 2:41 pm

Antrax wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

The other reason is that the British could never get any of their resolutions through the EU.

No, this isn't true in any sense.

Firstly, factually, the UK has been one of the biggest, if not the biggest, influence upon the direction of the EU. Qualified majority? A British initiative. The Single Market? A British initiative. Eastwards expansion (including immediate freedom of movement)? A British initiative. The Venice Declaration? The British rebate? State aid rules? All British initiatives. And let's not forget opt-outs on the Euro, Schengen, and the EMS. Good reads here: https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts-be ... influence/
and here: https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/07/ ... ecognised/

Sometimes people decide to do things based on misconceptions they hold. But "we can't get anything done" was not a widespread argument or opinion during the referendum debate. Instead, "too much gets done that we don't like" was a more common sentiment. Still broadly false, mind (see fullfact link), but it was an opinion that existed.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 2:48 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Pepe wrote:

The complete opposite tbh. These days, it is politically correct to say that immigration is bad. Telling the truth, that only racists are opposed to immigration, is politically incorrect.

Only racists are opposed to immigration? So if you care about lower wages and higher rents you a racist? If you realise that the government being able to rely on foreign skilled labour allows them to fail our own people makes you a racist?

All of the people in power politicians, the media and big business all support mass immigration.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 May 2019, 3:01 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Only racists are opposed to immigration? So if you care about lower wages and higher rents you a racist? If you realise that the government being able to rely on foreign skilled labour allows them to fail our own people makes you a racist?

All of the people in power politicians, the media and big business all support mass immigration.

This just proves my point.

Immigration doesn't depress wages and it has a tiny effect upon rents and house prices which can be eliminated with proper housebuilding. The second sentence has no relationship to reality - British workers are higher skilled and beter educated than ever before, which rather puts to bed the suggestion that they are being "failed" at a greater rate than ever before.

The Conservative Party is opposed to mass immigration almost from top to tail. The Labour Party is opposed to mass immigration almost from top to tail (remember the Ed Stone? Remember Corbyn's lifelong support for Brexit?). Even the Liberal Democrats use racist language about "legitimate concerns" when talking about immigration.

The commercial media is institutionally opposed to mass immigration. The Daily Mail, the Sun, the Express, the Star, the Telegraph, and the Times sell 4 million copies a day between them. The pro-immigration papers - the Guardian, the i, and the Mirror - sell about 800,000 copies a day. Even if you throw in the Financial Times (a stretch) and the Evening Standard (a free paper) while ignoring the Metro (an anti-immigration free paper) then anti-immigration papers still circulate around three times as many copies as pro-immigration papers. This is why pro-immigration voices are so hard to find whereas the anti-immigration voice is so loud, aggressive, and confident. We have a big anti-immigration echo chamber which is completely disconnected from the facts on the ground.

Big businesses tend to support immigration because immigration is good for the economy and society. Unfortunately these days big British businesses have very little influence. Those businesses who retain influence are these multinational tech companies who are at best amoral and really don't care about British immigration policy.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:13 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
This just proves my point.

Immigration doesn't depress wages and it has a tiny effect upon rents and house prices which can be eliminated with proper housebuilding. The second sentence has no relationship to reality - British workers are higher skilled and beter educated than ever before, which rather puts to bed the suggestion that they are being "failed" at a greater rate than ever before.

The Conservative Party is opposed to mass immigration almost from top to tail. The Labour Party is opposed to mass immigration almost from top to tail (remember the Ed Stone? Remember Corbyn's lifelong support for Brexit?). Even the Liberal Democrats use racist language about "legitimate concerns" when talking about immigration.

The commercial media is institutionally opposed to mass immigration. The Daily Mail, the Sun, the Express, the Star, the Telegraph, and the Times sell 4 million copies a day between them. The pro-immigration papers - the Guardian, the i, and the Mirror - sell about 800,000 copies a day. Even if you throw in the Financial Times (a stretch) and the Evening Standard (a free paper) while ignoring the Metro (an anti-immigration free paper) then anti-immigration papers still circulate around three times as many copies as pro-immigration papers. This is why pro-immigration voices are so hard to find whereas the anti-immigration voice is so loud, aggressive, and confident. We have a big anti-immigration echo chamber which is completely disconnected from the facts on the ground.

Big businesses tend to support immigration because immigration is good for the economy and society. Unfortunately these days big British businesses have very little influence. Those businesses who retain influence are these multinational tech companies who are at best amoral and really don't care about British immigration policy.

Wages are set by market forces, supply and demand an increase in supply lowers the value of labour. Millions of extra people living in Britain has effected more than a little bit.

We are constantly told how great immigration is so great because the NHS depends on it. So why not just educate our own people? Working class children are failed by our education system especially boys and people who are not NT.

Corbyn is anti EU but pro open borders. The fact that you think "Legitimate concerns" is racist language is actually laughable.

The commercial media depends on selling to the people hence why they are anti immigration. Whilst the BBC gets its money through the license can be pro immigration even though the public are not.