Page 1 of 13 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 7:43 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
The Bible condemns witchcraft and sorcery.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-witchcraft.html

Staunch Christians who take the Bible literally are going to think that magic is possible but that it comes from Satan.

My family believed in all of this sort of stuff, and I wasn’t allowed to read books with magic in them (like Harry Potter) because it could summon demons. Oy vey!

I have a whole collection of books and video games featuring magic now and Satan hasn’t paid me any visits yet. It’s a shame because he sounds like lots of fun. :P

Fundi christians are funny (like my parents). Satan is a personification of the metaphor of temptation in some jewish mystical sects like the Essenes who were the sect that founded christianity. There was no concept of the devil in the old testament or in mainstream judaism. It's caricature in modern christianity is based on some pre-christian Roman dieties to scare new believers not give in to the temptation to return to the "old gods".

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 7:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
The Bible condemns witchcraft and sorcery.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-witchcraft.html

Staunch Christians who take the Bible literally are going to think that magic is possible but that it comes from Satan.

My family believed in all of this sort of stuff, and I wasn’t allowed to read books with magic in them (like Harry Potter) because it could summon demons. Oy vey!

I have a whole collection of books and video games featuring magic now and Satan hasn’t paid me any visits yet. It’s a shame because he sounds like lots of fun. :P

Fundi christians are funny (like my parents). Satan is a personification of the metaphor of temptation in some jewish mystical sects like the Essenes who were the sect that founded christianity. There was no concept of the devil in the old testament or in mainstream judaism. It's caricature in modern christianity is based on some pre-christian Roman dieties to scare new believers not give in to the temptation to return to the "old gods".

It’s true that he isn’t in the OT. Christians just try to make the collection of stories a cohesive message even though it’s very far from that.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 9:10 pm

To make this thread a bit more PPR-friendly:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 9:23 pm

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 11:13 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
It’s true that he isn’t in the OT. Christians just try to make the collection of stories a cohesive message even though it’s very far from that.

Christianity is a vehicle for mind control (in this it's not unique as judaism and islam are probably worse)

I don't dispute there was a Jesus Christ but the reality was that he was an Essene and his apocalyptic preaching was aimed at jews (stock standard for the essene sect). If there was a second coming he would be either amused or disappointed that his followers took the messianic message to the "dim witted goyim" and made no impact at all on judaism. In that respect he failed.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 11:58 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Exorcising keeps you fit :twisted:

Get me Satan's personal fitness trainer on the line,
I've got me some demons to exorcise.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 12:08 am

Just a thought, but when I'm dying I don't want a cynical atheist hanging around me reminding me that when we all die there is no afterlife waiting for us and that we become nothing but a big hunk of decaying rotten meat that worms and maggots feed off of. I think I would drag an as*hole like that into death with me. :skull:

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 12:15 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Just a thought, but when I'm dying I don't want a cynical atheist hanging around me reminding me that when we all die there is no afterlife waiting for us and that we become nothing but a big hunk of decaying rotten meat that worms and maggots feed off of. I think I would drag an as*hole like that into death with me. :skull:

We won't need to remind you, clearly you already know it's true. Deal with it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 12:19 am

Lol, 21st century tribal knowledge. Gotta love it.

And if what we know with absolute certainty to be true turns out not to be true.... well... have fun with that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 2:55 am

I think the Buddha once said that regardless of what you believe about death you should just accept your fate whatever happens will be out of your control (I think he was counselling an anxious acolyte who was obsessed about what he would be born as in his next life)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 6:16 am

You can fixate on the maggots if you like, or you can reflect on how your body is rejoining the natural cycle and will serve as the foundation for new life.

Or you could request someone come lie to you in a nice voice. Your choice, of course.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 7:28 am

I don’t believe in absolutes. While I think it’s highly unlikely that there is a loving God, I don’t think it’s entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Learning about the Bible and ultimately rejecting Christianity has been an empowering thing for me personally, but I can understand why others would like it and believe in it.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 7:29 am

You guys suck.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 7:33 am

You guys suck.

What do they suck ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 7:34 am

SaveFerris wrote:
You guys suck.

What do they suck ?

I suck on cough drops when I have a cough.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 7:35 am

SaveFerris wrote:
You guys suck.

What do they suck ?

I'd suck some maggots... get them before they get you.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame