Page 1 of 21 [ 333 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Which Religion Should Be The National Religion?
Animism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Atheism 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
Buddhism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Christianity 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Confucianism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Druidism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gnosticism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hinduism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Islam 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Jainism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Judaism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mormonism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paganism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Scientology 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Shamanism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Shintoism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sikhism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Taoism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Zoroastrianism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other: ________________ (Please elaborate). 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 33

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 5:09 pm

For those of you who believe that religious and secular governments should be one and the same, which religion do you think such a national religion should be?

I am not going to go into any detailed description of each religion listed, mainly because each religion seems to have more than one branch or sect; and if you ask any two members of each religion what their religion is all about, you are likely to get two answers, neither of which will match their religion's "official" description one-hundred percent.

You may select only one answer in the poll, and you may change your selection at any time.

Note that I have included "Atheism", even though it is not technically a religion.

Note also that not all religions are listed (we are limited to 20 selections), so I included the selection of "Other".  If you select "Other", then please give the name and a brief description of the religions, and why you think it is important.

If you make a selection, please leave a comment; and if you leave a comment, please make a selection.

Finally, please keep all discussions civil -- criticize someone else's claims if you must, but do not attack the person making those claims. If I believe that the thread is being hijacked, or if it seems that a flame war is developing, then I will ask the moderators to lock this thread.

Thank you for your cooperation.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 5:20 pm

I vote other - MY religion! The First Temple of Ice Cream! :chef:

We honor the Three Tribunal Gods of Flavor: Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry.

Vanilla is the God of Light, Truth, Justice, and Good in its purest form.

Chocolate is the God of Darkness, Lies, Crime, and Evil in its purest form.

Strawberry is the Goddess of Creation, Love, and Motherhood.

There are countless other minor deities of other flavors. The holy scripture of this religion are foretold by the prophets Baskin, Robbins, Ben, and Jerry.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 5:21 pm

depends on the country

:wink:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 5:35 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 5:38 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:

I could have sworn that said "Serious Hershey" :lol:

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2020, 5:38 pm

Not atheism exactly, more like agnosticism. The government should be indifferent and unconcerned with religious matters of a particular orientation, and mainly detached from specificities of religion, and thus not take a strong stance favoring any one religion. Politics should have more in common with science. All the religious propaganda like "in God we trust", "one nation under God", etc., from America's political literature, should be revised so that it reflects pragmatics rather than obscurities.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 5:39 pm

i didn't See 'A Religion of Love' in Actual 'Effect' on the
List; it's What Humans Naturally Do; It's Our Natural Religion
That Binds And Bonds Us in Terms of Elemental Basics, Like Oxytocin
in Synergy with all the Other Biological aspects of Our Natural Altruistic Being;

A Religion of Love is impossible to Avoid for those who Share it;

Perhaps, We Would have to Amend the Constitution to 'Legally' Share it;

But there are other
Overt Ways of
Doing This; by AcTuAlly Doing IT;
And Yes, i've Studied all these Religions
Around the World in How they Are Put into
Actual Action as a Global Participant Anthropology Observer.

What i've come to find is; it Must be an Individual Effort; As Group
Efforts by Very Nature of Group Effort; Exclude those From 'a Real Nation
of Love' that Must come From the 'Meek' Up; Others Have Tried; All in Vain Effort, Overall,
Now, Per How the Religions are Actually Practiced still; Specifically, 'A Religion of Love'...

Go Figure, Now Humans are Still only evolved to Live Peacefully, Loving Unified,
And Comfortably in Groups of 150 to 200, Mostly Naked, Foraging, Dancing Singing Folks.

Bonobos are A Great Example of Love in Action that Actually Works, if not invaded by 'Strangers'...

In other Words, No Matter What Religion was chosen, it would not ultimately work, failing the same way
per Science of Human Numbers; Meanwhile, Here, In the U.S. We Are Free to Love; Sadly, Many People

Do Not
choose that Freedom....

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 11:23 pm

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2020, 11:21 am

Fnord wrote:
For those of you who believe that religious and secular governments should be one and the same, which religion do you think such a national religion should be?

Religious and secular governments have never been one and the same. They were separate in the Middle Ages when Christianity was popular and they are separate today in Islamic countries. The only exceptions I'm aware of are isolated extremist groups and cults. I doubt anyone on this forum wants them to be the same.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 11:27 am

I don't support an official religion, but I definitely would not Evangelical Christianity, Catholicism, Mormonism or Islam to be official.

I want marijuana and public nudity to be legal nationwide.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 11:29 am

So....Hedonism, then?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 11:30 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
So....Hedonism, then?

Mostly secular (I'm a Lutheran myself).

But good luck liberating Texas, which is half-Evangelical, half-Catholic.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 2:08 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I don't support an official religion, but I definitely would not Evangelical Christianity, Catholicism, Mormonism or Islam to be official.

Although Abrahamic religions tend to be very prudish (so probably no public nudity) I have not come across any *specific* religious prohibition against weed in the Tanakh, Talmud, New Testament, Quran or Hadith...

Mormons can't drink coffee, though... They're not getting my vote as national religion, then :evil:.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 2:15 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Although Abrahamic religions tend to be very prudish (so probably no public nudity) I have not come across any *specific* religious prohibition against weed in the Tanakh, Talmud, New Testament, Quran or Hadith...

Mormons can't drink coffee, though... They're not getting my vote as national religion, then :evil:.

Wiki page for Kosher wrote:
If smoked, under normal circumstances there is no reason cannabis (marijuana) would not be kosher, although some rabbis apply this only to medical cannabis, not recreational usage. However, this is excepting that smoking it typically involves lighting a spark, so it would not be appropriate for example after sundown on Shabbat. If cannabis is "eaten", as cannabis edibles are, on the other hand, the issue is not as clear cut, as there may be small insects inside which are not kosher. For the observant it is recommended to only use brands that are certified as kosher. For cannabis grown in Israel, the plants must observe shmittah, but this does not apply to cannabis from elsewhere.[78]

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 2:47 pm

I can't see the need for a national religion.

I would've voted "atheism", but that implies making a choice on whether deities exists or not.
Agnosticism also implies that there may be a deity or not (maybe, we don't know).

I'd rather have a completely secular state that does not speak for or against religion.

I do support maintainance of old religious buildings like churches, not because of religion, but because of history.
But that's for another topic.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 5:23 pm

seriously? I'm the only one thinking: Jainism? - because people will want a religion, so it makes sense to me to pick the most non-violent there is. I'd prefer a laicistic state, but there's some danger with there being no religious values, like humanist values (yes, that's a religious belief, not a natural law), namely the danger of the group with the most financial power shaping public opinions and laws in whatever way they want. .... sound familiar?