Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

irumi22
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2019, 9:07 pm

I really wanted to start a religious life, but I have a certain fear of being wrong without knowing it and there are no churches nearby to help me. Where do you think I should "start"?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 5:51 pm

Maybe start by picking a religion you like? There's thousands of them, just have a look around. You can pray to blue guys with many arms, or a flying monkey. Fat Buddha, thin Buddha, there's even one where you can pray to Isaac Newton!

Don't rush this decision

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 6:10 pm

irumi22 wrote:
I really wanted to start a religious life, but I have a certain fear of being wrong without knowing it and there are no churches nearby to help me. Where do you think I should "start"?

You would be considered part of the "unchurched" population if you had lived in early America in the frontier days.
Long ago there would be newly settled regions that had no physical churches. So they had 'circuit riders' -preachers that road into various towns to preach to the faithful in return for getting fed by local families.

Where in Brazil do you live?

Must be some remote spot in the Amazon jungle. Lol!
I suppose that many areas of modern Brazil are much like America's old wild west was back in the day.

I have always had the impression that the Catholic church is rather omnipresent in every South American country, including Brazil. On top of that Catholicism gets a lot of competition in Brazil as well, both from home grown Santeria/voodoo type religions, and from imports (like American Evangelical Protestantism, and American Mormonism, and even Islam).

You can always go on the web and find some kind of virtual congregation to join I suppose.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 7:11 pm

Tell us maybe a bit more about what you see yourself looking for. I'd make different recommendations on whether that's a search for a supportive moral community, whether it's a personal quest for understanding yourself and the universe, you wouldn't necessarily choose the same thing.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 7:36 pm

Got to Belief-O-Matic, take the quiz and see which religion it tells you.

https://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment ... matic.aspx

At the very, its entertaining.