Page 2 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 10:58 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
beneficii wrote:
So basically this is one big tone argument. It doesn't matter what they say, what matters is the tone they have when saying it.

And for what you support about Molyneux that is "non-political", are you talking about the white genocide conspiracy theory or are you talking about him blaming mothers for all the violence in the world*? Perhaps you're talking about him running a cult?

* https://time.com/2949435/what-i-learned ... onference/

No, it's not about tone, it's about intent.

Actually, one Molyeneux's broadcasts that I agreed with was his argument against spanking children. The fact that I even said that I don't disagree with everything people like him and Lauren Southern was to prove a point, which was it's far better to discuss or debate content being presented rather than smear a person's character.

I'm not going to sit and discuss nice with people like Molyneux, praising him for making a "few good points". What this man is pushing is vile, and I'm not going to validate what he does. That is my expression.

You don't have a right to an audience and you don't have a right to a platform. And just because you have the right to free expression doesn't mean what you say deserves equal weight or consideration by people. And it doesn't make you immune to criticism.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 2:52 am

His definition of liberal = liberty, freedoms, individual rights, small government

When was the "left" ever supporting these ideas?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 9:15 am

beneficii wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
beneficii wrote:
So basically this is one big tone argument. It doesn't matter what they say, what matters is the tone they have when saying it.

And for what you support about Molyneux that is "non-political", are you talking about the white genocide conspiracy theory or are you talking about him blaming mothers for all the violence in the world*? Perhaps you're talking about him running a cult?

* https://time.com/2949435/what-i-learned ... onference/

No, it's not about tone, it's about intent.

Actually, one Molyeneux's broadcasts that I agreed with was his argument against spanking children. The fact that I even said that I don't disagree with everything people like him and Lauren Southern was to prove a point, which was it's far better to discuss or debate content being presented rather than smear a person's character.

I'm not going to sit and discuss nice with people like Molyneux, praising him for making a "few good points". What this man is pushing is vile, and I'm not going to validate what he does. That is my expression.

You don't have a right to an audience and you don't have a right to a platform. And just because you have the right to free expression doesn't mean what you say deserves equal weight or consideration by people. And it doesn't make you immune to criticism.

Who gets to decide who has a right to a platform and who doesn't? If there are people willing to listen to him, if there's a market for his ideologies, then of course he should be heard. Whether not you realize it, you are only strengthening my argument. Personally, I find Molyneux quite boorish and laughable at times. He didn't really upset me to any degree. But that's my take as I'm entitled to it just as you are entitled to yours. I'd fight for his right to say what he wants, just as I fight for your right to express your opinions.

All you're doing is bringing an emotive argument to support the bullying and gang mentality of the left. I've yet to see anyone in this thread counter the argument that Rubin is making.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 9:34 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Who gets to decide who has a right to a platform and who doesn't?

If, say, WrongPlanet (which is an example of a platform) doesn't want to host a bunch of racists, they don't have to. Same with YouTube (another example of a platform). You can't force a platform to host your views.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 10:09 am

beneficii wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Who gets to decide who has a right to a platform and who doesn't?

If, say, WrongPlanet (which is an example of a platform) doesn't want to host a bunch of racists, they don't have to. Same with YouTube (another example of a platform). You can't force a platform to host your views.

That's beside the point entirely. What we're talking about is the political attacks by the left to silence people who don't stick to their narrative. The decisions are so arbitrary and not consistent. There needs to be more push back from people on the left to this s**t. But because people are too afraid because they know they will be harassed if they do, they stay silent or just go along with it.

Like I said earlier, it's not conservative voices that are being attacked. Progressives who still retain the ability to exercise critical thinking skills are routinely smeared if the question the left at all. PC culture has gone so far off the rails that you can't say certain words or express certain views that don't have the approval of the left, or devolves into a scene from Frankenstein where the crazed villagers chase the monster through the streets with torches. Yeah, I'd call that "regressive."

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 11:44 am

I guess I've always had a problem with authority, whatever form it takes. I'm not a big fan of the nation state at all, but apparently it's a necessary evil at this point. I don't like it when I get a traffic ticket for doing something benign as not coming to a complete stop before making a turn on red. Likewise, I'm not a big fan of cultural authority who believe they have the right to force me, via legislation, to refer to transgendered individuals by specific pronouns. I'll gladly listen to anyone and refer to him they wish to be referred, but don't threaten to lock me up if I don't.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 6:04 pm

So much biased and ignorant/unintelligent BS on this thread. The right moan and whinge about left wing bullying because they want an open goal to say whatever they like without being challenged. They're the bullies who cry 'Foul' when someone stands up to them.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 6:11 pm

firemonkey wrote:
So much biased and ignorant/unintelligent BS on this thread. The right moan and whinge about left wing bullying because they want an open goal to say whatever they like without being challenged. They're the bullies who cry 'Foul' when someone stands up to them.

I agree. I'm starting to wonder about WP...

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 6:24 pm

firemonkey wrote:

Feel free to debate my arguments, rather than coming in here in the usual fashion spouting nonsense. Surprise me! And I am not on the right, by the way. If you can't bring something intelligent to the conversation, than why embarrass yourself in this fashion?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 6:34 pm

Firemonkey has a good point. Frankly I'm getting sick and damn tired of people on WP defending racism, sexism, homophobia, and all other sorts of bigotry while using gaslighting to convince the people who speak out against bigotry that somehow they are the bigots. It's complete BS!

I don't understand what the f**k has happened to Wrong Planet, or the rest of the world for that matter. But I'm getting sick of it.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 6:48 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Firemonkey has a good point. Frankly I'm getting sick and damn tired of people on WP defending racism, sexism, homophobia, and all other sorts of bigotry while using gaslighting to convince the people who speak out against bigotry that somehow they are the bigots. It's complete BS!

I don't understand what the f**k has happened to Wrong Planet, or the rest of the world for that matter. But I'm getting sick of it.

Point out where I have defended racism, sexism, and homophobia.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 8:17 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

I'm only going to say this before my account gets banned by request because I won't be coming back here.

Everything isn't about you. :roll:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 8:37 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

I'm only going to say this before my account gets banned by request because I won't be coming back here.

Well, I thought it might be about me since you made your comments in my thread, and agreed with a member who was obviously attacking my position. Forgive me, perhaps I'm entirely self-centered and full of myself.

If you don't wish to come back here, that's your decision. I wish you wouldn't leave, though. I rather like you, even if I don't agree with you all the time. Hang out! I love your sense of humor and your passion!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 9:02 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Well, I thought it might be about me since you made your comments in my thread, and agreed with a member who was obviously attacking my position. Forgive me, perhaps I'm entirely self-centered and full of myself.

If you don't wish to come back here, that's your decision. I wish you wouldn't leave, though. I rather like you, even if I don't agree with you all the time. Hang out! I love your sense of humor and your passion!

I might stay...

I mean, I have more buddies to talk to here than I do anywhere else online. Even if some members here really offend me with the things they post. :|

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 9:16 pm

I think the third post in this thread was likely the biggest mistake.

OP: interesting and on-point thoughts in this video.

First Responder: Not watching it, can you tell me who they are and what they believe?

Wrong answer: As far as I can tell.... (long-winded analysis for someone who hasn't watched the video to engage the content).

Right answer: Nope :). It's a video. Take it or leave it.

When you take the second road you get around all of these whataboutery hooks. I'd rather less conversation or even no further conversation at all than debating the metaphysics of who knows who, who might be a crypto-whatever, etc.

In close to fifteen years of discussion and debate here I can't remember any instances where 'I didn't watch it - explain it' was the start of a good conversation.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 25 Jul 2019, 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 9:18 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I might stay...

I mean, I have more buddies to talk to here than I do anywhere else online. Even if some members here really offend me with the things they post. :|

Yeah, you should definitely stay. Don't turn your back on buddies, they make life worthwhile. If I'm one of those members that offend you, send me a PM. Maybe we can hash it out -- come to an understanding. Or at least agree to disagree.

Oscar Meyer Lansky