Page 5 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 7:30 am

QFT wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
On the other, while I think there's probably a 90% chance that Trump will be impeached, there's only about a 10% chance that he'll be convicted if he is impeached. So while this is the most trouble a president has been in since Nixon, a 91% chance of retaining the White House is still good odds.

I am confused. Are you saying he will retain white house unless he is convicted? In what sense?
He must be convicted of impeachment by the senate to be removed from office,that is the law.

Whether he can survive the 2020 election with the scandal hanging over his head is a different issue.Yes his presidency is damaged but to be removed from office before january of 2021 he must be convicted of impeachment by the US senate

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 7:39 am

vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
On the other, while I think there's probably a 90% chance that Trump will be impeached, there's only about a 10% chance that he'll be convicted if he is impeached. So while this is the most trouble a president has been in since Nixon, a 91% chance of retaining the White House is still good odds.

I am confused. Are you saying he will retain white house unless he is convicted? In what sense?
He must be convicted of impeachment by the senate to be removed from office,that is the law.

Whether he can survive the 2020 election with the scandal hanging over his head is a different issue.Yes his presidency is damaged but to be removed from office before january of 2021 he must be convicted of impeachment by the US senate

I thought the word "convicted" means sent to jail.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 7:48 am

QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Yes! A president convicted of impeachment would likely go to federal prison,unless he is pardoned by the new president which in this case is Pence.So unless Pence pardons him Trump would go to jail,likely a cushy federal country club

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 7:51 am

vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Yes! A president convicted of impeachment would likely go to federal prison,unless he is pardoned by the new president which in this case is Pence.So unless Pence pardons him Trump would go to jail,likely a cushy federal country club

That seems weird. Logically, whether one is fit to be president or whether one should go to jail are completely separate questions.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 8:24 am

QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

That seems weird. Logically, whether one is fit to be president or whether one should go to jail are completely separate questions.
Whether one is fit to be president is an issue for the voters and the 2020 election will decide that.
One must commit a crime to be convicted of impeachment and the US senate will decide that.Its likely Trump will never go to jail because Pence will pardon him

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 8:29 am

vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Whether one is fit to be president is an issue for the voters and the 2020 election will decide that.
One must commit a crime to be convicted of impeachment and the US senate will decide that.Its likely Trump will never go to jail because Pence will pardon him

Are you sure only a crime convicts one of impeachment? If so, then the logical implication is that one could have predicted ahead of time, with absolute certainty, that Clinton presidency wasn't going to end.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 9:22 am

The_Walrus wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
On one hand this is very damning for Trump. I think that's shown by how furiously his supporters are trying to spin this as a Biden scandal despite no evidence of wrongdoing by Biden and cast-iron proof of it by Trump. Compare it to how the same people tried to spin the collusion as an "Obama scandal" - same tactic but at a much lower intensity.

The polar opposite is true as usual.

Watch this if you're interested in reality

Your source is a 54 minute YouTube video from a comedian who:
- Thinks that no chemical weapons have been used in Syria
- Thinks that Donald Trump is more progressive than Hillary Clinton
- Thinks that Seth Rich was killed by the Hillary Clinton campaign

Until some actual evidence is produced I will continue to distrust unreliable conspiracy theorist comedians.

Strawman arguments. He doesn't think that stuff, he knows some of it. The chemical weapons were used by the jihadists. Trump is more anti war and he knows Clinton is an evil fraud. And the information is actually coming from Aaron Mate an award winning journalist.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 9:27 am

BIDEN IS ON VIDEO saying it. How can people deny reality.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 9:33 am

QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Are you sure only a crime convicts one of impeachment? If so, then the logical implication is that one could have predicted ahead of time, with absolute certainty, that Clinton presidency wasn't going to end.
Bill Clinton's impeachment was in his second term,so his presidency would end in 2001.as far as whether there are non criminal impeachable acts,I don't know

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:04 am

vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Bill Clinton's impeachment was in his second term,so his presidency would end in 2001.as far as whether there are non criminal impeachable acts,I don't know

I meant whether it would end few months before schedule. And, if so, whether it would contradict your idea that earlier end of presidency comes as a package deal with jail.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:29 am

QFT wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
QFT wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

The term "conviction" is used in both impeachment cases and criminal cases. Walrus is talking about in impeachment cases. You see, after the House votes to impeach, the trial is held in the Senate. The Senate then holds a vote on conviction, where the Senators vote either guilty or not guilty. If 2/3 of the Senate vote to convict, then the official is removed from office automatically. But the Senate can't throw you in jail based on this vote.

Though you can't go to jail as a result of an impeachment case, it does not immunize you against criminal prosecution.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 10:51 am

Technically, Clinton was being charged with perjury, lying to Congress under oath.

I doubt that he would have been bought up on charges subsequently.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Sep 2019, 11:10 am

JohnPowell wrote:
BIDEN IS ON VIDEO saying it. How can people deny reality.

He's on video saying he pressured them to fire him because he was corrupt. Despite what Russia Today told you, he didn't say anything about any investigations into an energy firm.

Don't believe everything you see on YouTube, particularly from disreputable propaganda networks.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 11:27 am

I meant whether it would end few months before schedule. And, if so, whether it would contradict your idea that earlier end of presidency comes as a package deal with jail.[/quote]

The presidents term would not end a few months before schedule.The president would go to jail if he is convicted of a crime,my guess is that if he is convicted of impeachment by the senate and that he is impeached for commiting a crime that he would go to jail.I am not quite sure what your getting at but I hope that answers your question

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 12:02 pm

He wouldn’t go to jail after conviction after impeachment trial. He would only forfeit his office.

I’ll have to research whether “double jeopardy” would preclude him from being indicted by a federal grand jury for the offenses which would be part of the “Articles of Impeachment.”

Look up Article 1, Section 3, Clause 7 of the US Constitution.

It says that the only punishments upon conviction of impeachment offenses is removal from office and a ban from holding public office for the rest of his life. No jail.

Technically, he can be indicted federally for his impeachment offenses following his removal, according to the above.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2019, 12:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
He wouldn’t go to jail after conviction after impeachment trial. He would only forfeit his office.

I’ll have to research whether “double jeopardy” would preclude him from being indicted by a federal grand jury for the offenses which would be part of the “Articles of Impeachment.”

Look up Article 1, Section 3, Clause 7 of the US Constitution.

It says that the only punishments upon conviction of impeachment offenses is removal from office and a ban from holding public office for the rest of his life. No jail.

Technically, he can be indicted federally for his impeachment offenses following his removal, according to the above.
I was always told if someone is impeached they go to jail or at least a cushy federal country club.But its a moot arguement because even if an impeached president can be indicted by a federal grand jury the new president who was the former vice president would pardon the former impeached president anyway