Page 1 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

However you define it, just how important is being "Woke" to you?
If you're not Woke, you're worthless. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
It's important, but not all-important. 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Woke, schmoke ... where's my ice cream? 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
Unimportant, but worth knowing about. 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Completely unimportant. 28%  28%  [ 9 ]
Other: ________________ (Please Explain). 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 32

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 6:36 pm

I think every youth generation likes to create ways of distinguishing itself from the one that went before.

My generation of youth (even I was young once!) did it with music - it was Elvis and Beatles and soul and rhythm and
blues for us, while our parents of time clung to music from their own youth.

The woke generation seem to be doing it with social media and language - eg memes and new meanings applied to old words.

My generation liked to think we were "hip". And many of us were, as ours was a musically gifted generation as many of us had music lessons from an early age, and were very attuned to music as performance, recreation and generational identity.

The current oncoming generation wants to shape itself as "woke" and maybe some of those are woke, or may become more so.

So I see parallels and the youngest generation can never understand the oldest generation, because they weren't there/born/woke for most of the oldest generation's time on the planet - though the reverse can occur. That's just how life is.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 1:03 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Being aware and concerned about social injustice is a potential sign someone is a decent person.
Being hostile to concerns about social injustice is a strong indicator that someone isn't worth my time or consideration.

Lately, being 'woke' means the average, in the greatest shape of their lives women are no longer able to win in a sport due to competing against biological men, in the best shape of their lives, who identify as women. I don't like that.

In another part of my country a 'woke' judge sided with a 'woke' mother trying to convince her poor child he was a girl, when he didn't feel like a girl at all. And they almost railroad an 'unwoke' father who had to sit by and watch it happen. The kid was always a boy and wanted to live as a boy. Thank GOD someone with some sense intervened before it was too late. I don't like that.

I voted that it was unimportant, but worth knowing about. Because this 'woke' BS is hurting people.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 4:41 am

Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Being aware and concerned about social injustice is a potential sign someone is a decent person.
Being hostile to concerns about social injustice is a strong indicator that someone isn't worth my time or consideration.

Lately, being 'woke' means the average, in the greatest shape of their lives women are no longer able to win in a sport due to competing against biological men, in the best shape of their lives, who identify as women. I don't like that.

Really, can you cite a recent example? Are bio-women suddenly being dominated by transwomen at the Olympics?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 6:33 am

I voted Woke Schmoke because I had some white kid, from a white town and a white school explaining to me how racism works and how I should reframe my view of the world. This has happened,despite growing up in a multicultural city/school/family, having never having received a lecture from anyone else on this topic over the course of 48 years. I don't mind absorbing new ideas, so long as it's not forced on me, and due to my dwindling zeal, maybe that's best done from the sidelines with only one of us in charge of what I should be thinking.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 7:24 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Really, can you cite a recent example? Are bio-women suddenly being dominated by transwomen at the Olympics?

Rachel McKinnon, a biological Male who represents as a Woman, won the Women's world record in the qualifying event October 19th, 2019.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 10:05 am

Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Being aware and concerned about social injustice is a potential sign someone is a decent person. Being hostile to concerns about social injustice is a strong indicator that someone isn't worth my time or consideration.
Rachel McKinnon, a biological Male who represents as a Woman, won the Women's world record in the qualifying event October 19th, 2019.
You are going to see this happen progressively more often as progressively more transwomen enter athletic competitions.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 11:02 am

Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Being aware and concerned about social injustice is a potential sign someone is a decent person. Being hostile to concerns about social injustice is a strong indicator that someone isn't worth my time or consideration.
You are going to see this happen progressively more often as progressively more transwomen enter athletic competitions.

The price of being "woke," I guess. I hope the left is happy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 11:03 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Why should it matter? As far as I know, no one on this website is being deprived of a gold medal in athletics just because someone else has an unfair hormonal or anatomical advantage.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 11:09 am

Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Why should it matter? As far as I know, no one on this website is being deprived of a gold medal in athletics just because someone else has an unfair hormonal or anatomical advantage.

Because you can't honestly claim to be woke if you're okay with a biological man who identifies as a woman quashing the hopes and dreams of female athletes. This is happening everywhere. Biological girls in HS are having to wrestle biological males who identify as girls. Are you telling me that you've never known or will know a young girl with hope of an athletic scholarship? Geez, I thought you were one of the brains on this site?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 11:14 am

domineekee wrote:
I voted Woke Schmoke because I had some white kid, from a white town and a white school explaining to me how racism works and how I should reframe my view of the world. This has happened,despite growing up in a multicultural city/school/family, having never having received a lecture from anyone else on this topic over the course of 48 years. I don't mind absorbing new ideas, so long as it's not forced on me, and due to my dwindling zeal, maybe that's best done from the sidelines with only one of us in charge of what I should be thinking.

That's called "white-splaining".

In WOKE culture, it's insukting for a "white person" with their "white privilege" explaining what racism is like for a minority person.

WOKE culture people will say, "White people should SHUT UP and LISTEN".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 11:18 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Because you can't honestly claim to be woke if you're okay with a biological man who identifies as a woman quashing the hopes and dreams of female athletes.  This is happening everywhere. Biological girls in HS are having to wrestle biological males who identify as girls.  Are you telling me that you've never known or will know a young girl with hope of an athletic scholarship? Geez, I thought you were one of the brains on this site?
I never claimed to be "woke". In fact, I think the whole idea of being "woke" is a Millenialist hoax put on by people who place all of the blame for their own failures on successful people. I've known girls and boys who hoped to get into college on athletic scholarships and were denied admission because of their grades -- their academics were borderline failure, while other athletes with better grades received the scholarships.

This is aside from the fact that children are in school to focus on learning, and not on playing games -- there is far too much emphasis on sports than there should be.

And insulting me because I do not agree with you will not bring me any closer to your point of view.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 11:22 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
... WOKE culture people will say, "White people should SHUT UP and LISTEN".
I've been listening.  I've listened to their insults, their threats, their made-up "facts", and their "reasoning" that makes a pot of cooked spaghetti look like a linear equation.

I will, however, continue to listen to what they say, on the off chance that they might say something that makes sense.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 11:28 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
domineekee wrote:

That's called "white-splaining".

In WOKE culture, it's insukting for a "white person" with their "white privilege" explaining what racism is like for a minority person.

WOKE culture people will say, "White people should SHUT UP and LISTEN".

I was being radfemsplained and everything I said just opened up a new can of worms really.... and that's how we're all going to get along. :?
Once my autism came to light I was one of the gang :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 11:31 am

if you are white, and you know a bunch of black people, and these people tell you about their experiences with racism, then I do believe that you know how racism affects black people.

I am one of those people. I've known many black people. My wife is black. Quite a few previous girlfriends were black. They tell me about their life experiences.

I'm not some white guy in the Ivory Tower, talking about the ideology of "white privilege." "White privilege" does not benefit most whites. It's a BS ideology, for the most part.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 11:35 am

domineekee wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
domineekee wrote:
That's called "white-splaining".  In WOKE culture, it's insukting for a "white person" with their "white privilege" explaining what racism is like for a minority person.  WOKE culture people will say, "White people should SHUT UP and LISTEN".
I was being radfemsplained and everything I said just opened up a new can of worms really.... and that's how we're all going to get along. :? Once my autism came to light I was one of the gang :roll:
There is a new "-splaining" label: "Boomer-splaining".

It's used to dismiss anything and everything that a "Baby-Boomer" might say as being ignorant, out-dated, and condescending.

Okay.

Fine.

When people give me the "OK, Boomer" dismissal, I'll give them the old "Don't ever say I didn't warn you, and don't get mad at me when I say, 'I told you so', either."

Just because I'm a "Boomer" does not mean that I don't know what is going on. It just means that I'm older and have more experience, that's all.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Nov 2019, 11:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
if you are white, and you know a bunch of black people, and these people tell you about their experiences with racism, then I do believe that you know how racism affects black people.

I am one of those people. I've known many black people. My wife is black. Quite a few previous girlfriends were black. They tell me about their life experiences.

I'm not some white guy in the Ivory Tower, talking about the ideology of "white privilege." "White privilege" does not benefit most whites. It's a BS ideology, for the most part.

I think you take the right approach, Kraftie.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>