Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 154
Location: Eindhoven

17 Nov 2019, 5:04 pm

Just curious, I know opinions are divided.

I personally like a lot of what he has to say. I agree with not all, but a lot of things he's saying. I've already been ridiculed by my classmates about it but I don't really care. So far I've only seen people who support him, or straight up hate him. What is your opinion and why?



shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,718

17 Nov 2019, 6:23 pm

I think he aims at winning arguments for the sake of winning, and makes handsome amounts doing so.
But it's like a scholastic argument in the middle ages. Like, how many angels fit on a needle-head. You can win that argument, in the same way you can win an argument about climate change or abortion or whatever.
It doesn't mean you're right, it just means you have found a way to make your opponent look bad. He's aggressively doing so, while the world is heating up.

He's not worth listening to on anything, though. After all, he's not an expert, not a scientist, not a researcher, not a philosopher. He's just good at arguing against college students.

Oh, and there's this wonderful BBC interview where he completely loses his s**t when the interviewer is not arguing against him, but tries to interview him. That was pretty funny.


_________________
I can read facial expressions. I did the test.


Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,681
Location: Beautiful(?) West Manchester Township PA

17 Nov 2019, 7:26 pm

I consider him like any other political commentator: an overinflated pompous windbag who thinks their sh!t smells sweet. They no better than the politicians they are commenting on.


_________________
I'm back, for the time being. Any one who even attempts to rip me a new rear end because of my opinions will find themselves reported to administration. Anyone on my Foes list that replies to my posts will automatically be reported for harassment. You have been warned.


Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jun 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,440

17 Nov 2019, 7:58 pm

I have heard that he holds a lot of conservative positions and is well respected among conservative circles, and that once he ran for president. Other than that, I haven't heard anything of him, but probably I should listen to him first.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 134 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,195
Location: USA

17 Nov 2019, 8:18 pm

His voice is painful.


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,063
Location: Brisbane, Australia

17 Nov 2019, 8:20 pm



He is a grifter that has fooled people into believing that he has anything to say. His video on how to debate Leftists is literally him talking how to manipulate a discussion through cheap tricks, not use things like facts, not internalising new information but moulding it into his already established point. He talks fast to make it look like he knows what he is talking about, like he has all of this information that he can't wait to say, but again it is all a trick to do things like not give you enough time to think about in particular part, but pick the parts you think prove he is right.

Someone who actually knows what they are talking about should actually try and be clear and slowly enough so the audience can understand everything they say. And it is why BS can be picked apart so well when you slow his points down.


_________________
Through dream I travel, at lantern's call
To consume the flames of a kingdom's fall


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,438
Location: the island of defective toy santas

17 Nov 2019, 9:43 pm

i wouldn't pi$$ on him if he was on fire.



Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2015
Age: 32
Posts: 1,404
Location: England

17 Nov 2019, 9:48 pm

Faux right-wing opportunist.


_________________
Most ignorance is vincible ignorance. We don’t know because we don’t want to know. It is our will that decides how and upon what subjects we shall use our intelligence. Those who detect no meaning in the world generally do so because, for one reason or another, it suits their books that the world should be meaningless.


Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,752
Location: Everville

17 Nov 2019, 9:50 pm

I like that he responds genuinely to the insanity of today.


_________________
Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I hate you, it just means we disagree.


The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,273
Location: Reading, England

18 Nov 2019, 3:29 pm

He's a blustering fool, disconnected from the world at large, a man out of time.



VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,463
Location: Illinois

18 Nov 2019, 5:57 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
He's a blustering fool, disconnected from the world at large, a man out of time.


So are you, but if I accuse you of such things, I'm at least willing to explain why. You did the same thing in the video I posted containing a video by Dave Rubin. You simply smeared him with a "guilt by association " argument, complaining that some of the guests he allows on his program are alt-right contemtiples. no real attempt to debate his contentions -- at least not for several pages. (And even then, your arguments were pretty weak.)

What do I think of Dave Shapiro? Not that much, to be honest. But if I do agree with something he says, and bring one of his opinions to this forum for discussion, I'd expect more from someone upon which a moderator status has been bestowed than you deliver on a regular basis. I mean, you're the guy who didn't even know what the Syrian conflict was all about, and you have the nerve to call other people out of touch? Get real!


_________________
Voter shaming is a tactic of the hyper-partisan who is unable to counter arguments based on facts and critical thinking.


Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jun 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,440

18 Nov 2019, 6:33 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
He's a blustering fool, disconnected from the world at large, a man out of time.


So are you, but if I accuse you of such things, I'm at least willing to explain why. You did the same thing in the video I posted containing a video by Dave Rubin. You simply smeared him with a "guilt by association " argument, complaining that some of the guests he allows on his program are alt-right contemtiples. no real attempt to debate his contentions -- at least not for several pages. (And even then, your arguments were pretty weak.)

What do I think of Dave Shapiro? Not that much, to be honest. But if I do agree with something he says, and bring one of his opinions to this forum for discussion, I'd expect more from someone upon which a moderator status has been bestowed than you deliver on a regular basis. I mean, you're the guy who didn't even know what the Syrian conflict was all about, and you have the nerve to call other people out of touch? Get real!


(1) I hear the gentleman's name is Ben Shapiro,

(2) While your argument seems valid enough, it's hard to call someone a "man out of time" without implying he exists in some sort of eternity. Now I'm imagining the world floating through the blackness of space with an immense hovering social commentator on one side, and then a moderator off the autism forum on the other. It's going to be hard to unsee that one.

(3) It is perfectly fine to be "out of touch" on some matters as long as you stick to working on matters you are "in touch" with. I, too, do not know why American soldiery seem to spend so much time in the Middle East shooting at terrorists. It is good that they do it, but I don't know why they're there. However, I do not make policy on Middle Eastern wars. I am "in touch" with writing and so I spend a lot of time doing that instead of regretting my lack of information on the Syrian war, Siberian husky dogs, fluorescent lightbulbs, reindeer mosses, or the care and keeping of a Tamagotchi. And while I am very fond of electricity, I am always striving to be "out of touch;" for touching electrified things is not particularly pleasant. The_Walrus is also allowed his opinion on things, just as a non-gun-owner can speak on gun ownership, men can have opinions on the abortion & contraception debate, and the Amish can follow traffic laws though they don't generally drive automobiles.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 134 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,463
Location: Illinois

18 Nov 2019, 6:56 pm

Borromeo wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
He's a blustering fool, disconnected from the world at large, a man out of time.


So are you, but if I accuse you of such things, I'm at least willing to explain why. You did the same thing in the video I posted containing a video by Dave Rubin. You simply smeared him with a "guilt by association " argument, complaining that some of the guests he allows on his program are alt-right contemtiples. no real attempt to debate his contentions -- at least not for several pages. (And even then, your arguments were pretty weak.)

What do I think of Dave Shapiro? Not that much, to be honest. But if I do agree with something he says, and bring one of his opinions to this forum for discussion, I'd expect more from someone upon which a moderator status has been bestowed than you deliver on a regular basis. I mean, you're the guy who didn't even know what the Syrian conflict was all about, and you have the nerve to call other people out of touch? Get real!


(1) I hear the gentleman's name is Ben Shapiro,

(2) While your argument seems valid enough, it's hard to call someone a "man out of time" without implying he exists in some sort of eternity. Now I'm imagining the world floating through the blackness of space with an immense hovering social commentator on one side, and then a moderator off the autism forum on the other. It's going to be hard to unsee that one.

(3) It is perfectly fine to be "out of touch" on some matters as long as you stick to working on matters you are "in touch" with. I, too, do not know why American soldiery seem to spend so much time in the Middle East shooting at terrorists. It is good that they do it, but I don't know why they're there. However, I do not make policy on Middle Eastern wars. I am "in touch" with writing and so I spend a lot of time doing that instead of regretting my lack of information on the Syrian war, Siberian husky dogs, fluorescent lightbulbs, reindeer mosses, or the care and keeping of a Tamagotchi. And while I am very fond of electricity, I am always striving to be "out of touch;" for touching electrified things is not particularly pleasant. The_Walrus is also allowed his opinion on things, just as a non-gun-owner can speak on gun ownership, men can have opinions on the abortion & contraception debate, and the Amish can follow traffic laws though they don't generally drive automobiles.



Well, I'm old, perhaps transitioning into early senility, and was maybe not that bright to begin with. But I enjoyed your existential meanderings, young sir. Y'all write goodly!


_________________
Voter shaming is a tactic of the hyper-partisan who is unable to counter arguments based on facts and critical thinking.


Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,063
Location: Brisbane, Australia

18 Nov 2019, 9:50 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
So are you, but if I accuse you of such things, I'm at least willing to explain why. You did the same thing in the video I posted containing a video by Dave Rubin. You simply smeared him with a "guilt by association " argument, complaining that some of the guests he allows on his program are alt-right contemtiples. no real attempt to debate his contentions -- at least not for several pages. (And even then, your arguments were pretty weak.)


The awful thing about Dave Rubin is that he likes to pretend he is a centrist, a "Classical liberal", but you can see how he hosts right wing to far right wing people, and almost never challenges their points, to even agreeing with them in as friendly way as possible. On the rare cases that he has someone on the left, god forbid an actual progressive, he is downright hostile to them. You can see recounts of people who used to work with him on The Young Turks, and they can confirm that the move to his current career was purely financial, where he found that he could make a lot more by being a gay man pretending to be in the center (come from the Left) and repeat Right wing talking points.

VegetableMan wrote:
What do I think of Dave Shapiro? Not that much, to be honest. But if I do agree with something he says, and bring one of his opinions to this forum for discussion, I'd expect more from someone upon which a moderator status has been bestowed than you deliver on a regular basis. I mean, you're the guy who didn't even know what the Syrian conflict was all about, and you have the nerve to call other people out of touch? Get real!


Ben Shapiro thinks that "Arabs like to bomb crap up and live in open sewage". He does not even recognise that his rhetoric is the exact sort of thing spurs white supremist shooters, that he gets quoted by them like that one that shot up a mosque in New Zealand.
Anyway, this is a CC video about both Ben Shapiro and David Rubin. Not exactly sensible, but still points out their awful opinions.


_________________
Through dream I travel, at lantern's call
To consume the flames of a kingdom's fall


LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,195
Location: USA

18 Nov 2019, 10:46 pm

Borromeo wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
He's a blustering fool, disconnected from the world at large, a man out of time.
While your argument seems valid enough, it's hard to call someone a "man out of time" without implying he exists in some sort of eternity. Now I'm imagining the world floating through the blackness of space with an immense hovering social commentator on one side, and then a moderator off the autism forum on the other. It's going to be hard to unsee that one.

Shapiro longs for "the old days" of oppression, repression, suppression, so he's a "man out of time".

In the old days ….
LGBT people were categorized as mentally ill
Abortion was banned.
Social/Racial advocacy was limited.
Marriage limited to only Man-Woman.

Shapiro wants to return to those days.


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,438
Location: the island of defective toy santas

18 Nov 2019, 10:54 pm

to hell with him then.