Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2019, 6:24 am

What if Civilization began much earlier than most assume? What if there are truly lost Civilizations, waiting to be found even now? Indeed, if modern man is 200, 000 years old, I would suspect that Civilization itself is that old. Conversely, 100 or 10,000 or 1,000,000 years from now, our own Modern Industrial Civilization may, itself, be completely forgotten. That is something to ponder too.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 7:21 am

I seriously doubt that the first tribe of anatomically modern humans instantly vaulted to civilization the moment that they appeared in Africa 200k plus years ago. In fact it took them time to even evolve a distinctive stone age tool kit.

Anatomical moderns still used the Mousterian tool assemblage indistinguishable from that of the Neanderthals for a long time before they evolved their own distinctive "Upper Paleolithic" tool kit.

But yes I suspect that we will find evidence that the roots of civilization go back farther than we suspected. And also that things didn't happen in the order we assume. Like we assume that farming came first, and THEN big temples and cities.

Gobliki Tepe shows how stone age people could do some awesome architecture. That is suprising not only because they were stone age, but its also astounding because presumably they had a low population density because they couldn't support large numbers of people with farming yet when the site was built at the tail end of the ice age. Yet they built this site that makes Stonehenge look like a rough draft. But Stonehenge was roughly contemporary with Pyramids of Egypt- about 2600 BC. GT was 8000 years earlier than both Stonehenge and the Pyramids.

I doubt that they will ever find an actual submerged continent in the Atlantic Ocean, nor proof of Noah's flood. But they will start to find import archeological sites on the bottom of the sea, including actual cities. Sea levels have risen over the millennia and have drowned migration routes and living sites.

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2019, 11:24 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I seriously doubt that the first tribe of anatomically modern humans instantly vaulted to civilization the moment that they appeared in Africa 200k plus years ago. In fact it took them time to even evolve a distinctive stone age tool kit.

Anatomical moderns still used the Mousterian tool assemblage indistinguishable from that of the Neanderthals for a long time before they evolved their own distinctive "Upper Paleolithic" tool kit.

But yes I suspect that we will find evidence that the roots of civilization go back farther than we suspected. And also that things didn't happen in the order we assume. Like we assume that farming came first, and THEN big temples and cities.

Gobliki Tepe shows how stone age people could do some awesome architecture. That is suprising not only because they were stone age, but its also astounding because presumably they had a low population density because they couldn't support large numbers of people with farming yet when the site was built at the tail end of the ice age. Yet they built this site that makes Stonehenge look like a rough draft. But Stonehenge was roughly contemporary with Pyramids of Egypt- about 2600 BC. GT was 8000 years earlier than both Stonehenge and the Pyramids.

I doubt that they will ever find an actual submerged continent in the Atlantic Ocean, nor proof of Noah's flood. But they will start to find import archeological sites on the bottom of the sea, including actual cities. Sea levels have risen over the millennia and have drowned migration routes and living sites.

I recently purchased a book about Lost Civilizations, and it is very interesting to read!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 5:46 pm

What book are you reading?

Back in the Eighties I managed to book a trip to Mexico. I sat atop a pyramid at Teoteohuacan north of Mexico, and hiked around some of the Mayan pyramids in the Jungles of the Yucatan.

I started to read "collapse" by Jared Diamond. About collapsed civilizations modern, and ancient. It has a section about the Mayans.

Its quite interesting. But a lot to get through.

There is lot of rather flakey stuff on U tube about "lost civilizations".

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2019, 7:13 am

naturalplastic wrote:
What book are you reading?

Back in the Eighties I managed to book a trip to Mexico. I sat atop a pyramid at Teoteohuacan north of Mexico, and hiked around some of the Mayan pyramids in the Jungles of the Yucatan.

I started to read "collapse" by Jared Diamond. About collapsed civilizations modern, and ancient. It has a section about the Mayans.

Its quite interesting. But a lot to get through.

There is lot of rather flakey stuff on U tube about "lost civilizations".

I am reading Lost Civilizations by Bill Price.