Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 7:23 am

GEORGE CONWAY, OTHER REPUBLICANS DECLARE 'WE ARE REPUBLICANS,' ANNOUNCE LINCOLN PROJECT TO 'DEFEAT TRUMPISM'

Quote:

George Conway—husband of senior presidential advisor Kellyanne Conway—and several other Republicans launched a political action committee Tuesday to oust President Donald Trump and lawmakers that support him from office in 2020, even if it means a Democrat majority in the Senate and the House of Representatives.

"Mr. Trump and his enablers have abandoned conservatism and longstanding Republican principles and replaced it with Trumpism, an empty faith led by a bogus prophet," founders of the campaign wrote in an op-ed in The New York Times.

George Conway, along with political strategists Steve Schmidt and John Weaver and media consultant Rick Wilson, are the founders of the Lincoln Project, which sees Trump as both unfit for office and harmful to the Constitution. The project's goal is to defeat the president and "Trumpism" at the ballot box in November.

Using former President Abraham Lincoln as their guide, the co-authors of the op-ed wrote that America is at a point in its history reminiscent of Lincoln's time when its leader had to save the union and weave the nation back together.

"But those wounds can be bound up only once the threat has been defeated. So, too, will our country have to knit itself back together after the scourge of Trumpism has been overcome," the op-ed said.

Newsweek reached out to the White House by email but did not receive a response in time for publication.

Tim Murtaugh, Trump Campaign communications director, told Newsweek that the co-authors of the op-ed were part of the Washington, D.C., swamp Trump promised to drain when he was elected president. Murtaugh claimed the co-founders of the Lincoln Project were "upset they've lost all of their power and influence inside the Republican Party," adding that labeling them conservative or Republican was an "insult" to true conservatives and Republicans.

Conway retorted that being Republican used to mean standing up to fiscal responsibility, free markets, the rule of law and against foreign tyrants, Now, he told Newsweek it seems being conservative or Republican, as defined by the "Republican Party apparatus," means one thing, "unwavering fidelity to the incompetent, narcissistic, sociopath in the White House, and to his senseless, self-serving whims."

"We aim to restore conservatism to a set of enduring principles and to save it from the cult of personality some have caused it to become," Conway said.

Newsweek reached out to the other co-authors of The New York Times op-ed but did not receive a response in time for publication.

One way to defeat the threat would be for Senators to vote in favor of removing Trump from office through the impeachment process, they wrote.

Undeterred by his wife's leadership in Trump's 2016 campaign and her position in the administration, Conway emerged as an advocate for the president's impeachment.

If the impeachment process doesn't result in Trump's removal from office, a long-shot the op-ed authors acknowledge, the Lincoln Project will work to make sure he doesn't return to the White House.

The super PAC, according to the op-ed, will target "disaffected" conservatives, Republicans and Republican-leaning independents in swing states to vote for "patriots who will hold the line." Although there are policy differences between the founders of the Lincoln Project and national Democrats, if blocking Trump and his actions from another four years in the Oval Office means Democrats take control of the Senate and expand their majority in the House, it's an end to a means the PAC can accept, the authors wrote.

Conway and his colleagues criticized Trump for failing to commit himself to order, civility and decency in a manner that is necessary to be president of the United States. As someone without the "moral compass nor the temperament to serve," the co-authors claimed the problems Trump "brings upon himself" put a burden on the American people.

Congressional Republicans, according to the op-ed, emboldened the president by embracing his actions, abandoning "conservatism and longstanding Republican principles." Therefore, the Lincoln Project will also target them for removal from office if they're up for reelection in 2020.

I wish them well and expect them to fail massively and quickly be forgotten. Can anybody give me an example of a wing of a party that was defeated and thrown out so decisively that has bounced back and retaken a party? Trump has 90 percent support among the Republican base that is why congressional republicans have fallen in line. Those like Jeff Flake that did not are now out of power. If that has not changed by now I do not see what will change this.

The Democratic party are not going to welcome those irrelevant old male white conservatives.

The overthrown anti Trump conservative voters are mostly on the Trump train by now, those few that are not are either non voters or for all intents and purposes Democratic voters which at this point these Lincoln Project people are whether they like it or not.

Too bad, it sucks, they had their chance and alienated everybody.

Man I would like to be a fly on the wall and listen in to the Conway bedroom discussions. :D

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 11:47 am

That’s the problem with American politics. The center is being hollowed out, and now it’s as if there is nothing between Trump and AOC.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 12:17 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
That’s the problem with American politics. The center is being hollowed out, and now it’s as if there is nothing between Trump and AOC.

There is ahem Biden

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 12:19 pm

Free tuition for all college students, and student loan forgiveness for many, appeals to me. I'll have to see if Biden is for this.

Biden is a sort of "compromise" sort of candidate who might make a few blunders----but is quite experienced with the ins and outs of Washington.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 7:04 pm

Right now, Biden seems to have the best chance of getting both the black and the white blue collar vote. While I'd love to have a President Warren or Buttigeige (spelling, I'm sure), I'll support anyone who goes up against Trump in 2020, even if it's Biden.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 7:31 pm

Still leaning toward Klobuchar, and Weld for the GOP.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!