Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 3:01 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Is it legal in the USA to beat kids with belts? Or does it debend on state? Here it'd be a crime to even threaten to hit your kid with a belt (or anything else.)

Good!

Are you allowed to smack kids where you live?

I think that’s wrong, too.

No, though I think it was still legal when I was little. Our dad did often threaten to hit us if we didn't behave when my sister and I were little, but I don't remember him ever doing so. I do remember being hit by my sisters, but we were all kids, so I think it's more like children's fight than abuse. And yes, I did hit back.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 10:13 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Is it legal in the USA to beat kids with belts? Or does it debend on state? Here it'd be a crime to even threaten to hit your kid with a belt (or anything else.)

That’s great!

Are you allowed to smack kids where you live?

I think that’s wrong, too.

No, though I think it was still legal when I was little. Our dad did often threaten to hit us if we didn't behave when my sister and I were little, but I don't remember him ever doing so. I do remember being hit by my sisters, but we were all kids, so I think it's more like children's fight than abuse. And yes, I did hit back.

That’s great that it’s not legal.

I don’t think it’s going to happen in the US anytime soon. Corporal punishment is too intertwined with religious values.

My dad raised his fist to me once, but he never hit me like that. It was spankings with belts.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 01 Jan 2020, 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 10:14 am

AngelRho wrote:
Amity wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
There's a fine line between abuse and appropriate physical discipline. I agree that there's nothing funny about corporal punishment. I think hitting a child with a belt or a hose is a bit much. But as far as having the right to do so, well, if it doesn't leave a bruise or break the skin, it's difficult to justify that as abuse.

Parents often do take physical punishment to excess. Even if you can't technically qualify it as abuse, it is abuse of a method. Kids will eventually become immune to it and it loses its effectiveness. If parents find it funny, they're doing it wrong. There's nothing funny about a child who misbehaves to the level that they require correction.

It's an ineffective method of education, to physically assault another person; the primary lesson learned is fear, much too confusing for little ones and ultimately the learning outcome has not been achieved.

Whatever you aim to teach in these moments is not the main focus, as the childs brain is in a stress response state.
There are many more effective qualitative methods to choose from if education is the collective goal.

Oh, it's not ineffective at all. I think the problem is there are too many parents who use disciplinary methods ineffectively, and by that I mean whether they spank or do something else. My kids don't throw tantrums any more. But when they did, we generally didn't spank them for that. What I would do is say, "You are really upset right now and I'm putting you in time out. You haven't done anything wrong, I am not angry, and you are NOT IN TROUBLE. You just need to work this out on your own for a little while. I will check on you in 5 minutes." And after that I'd say, "Are you feeling better? If you are, you can come out, but stay as long as you need to." And if the child wanted to talk about it, we would talk about it. I think that fixed 90% of the behavioral problems we had. We never really had to do the whole "naughty chair" thing. We mostly found ways to keep them from misbehaving in the first place. "Oh, did that toy make you mad? Tell ya what, I'm going to take your toy and put it in timeout, ok? Hey, look at THIS toy!" Mostly we just expected them to follow the behavior we modeled for them and didn't give them much choice. Because our oldest two did well, our youngest pretty much just followed their lead. Our kids don't even really need us anymore except for food and transportation to school.

The first time I ever spanked a child, it was about the time he turned three when he went from a cute toddler to demon-possessed. Sociopathic, even. He would head-butt his mother and nearly broke her teeth. He did the same thing to me on more than one occasion. Emptying out the garbage can all over the floor. Breaking valuables. Showed absolutely no remorse whatsoever. Timeout/naughty chair didn't work. Speaking to him/reasoning with him didn't work. He wouldn't even say he was sorry, and he DID know how to say it. Taking away toys--he didn't miss them. His mother and I discussed what to do and agreed he had no feelings whatsoever for what he did. We agreed I'd handle the next situation that came up. And when it happened it was like the light came back on and he was a great kid again. I think it was that he had something tangible, his own physical feelings, to connect with the pain he inflicted on his mother that really woke him up and made him more empathetic. There were times since, but it became extremely rare as none of our kids really did anything that warranted that kind of discipline.

My oldest sweet-talked his mom into getting him a cell phone for his birthday this year, but sadly all he did with it was watch stupid YTP videos and Annoying Orange. Like, obsessively. As in at one point he was getting straight F's in school. The whole point of having a phone had been for school or church trips he could let us know to pick him up, plus having some entertainment along the way isn't unreasonable. So unless he's doing something soccer or archery related or he's at a church activity, he doesn't get his phone back. He's had a crazy-negative attitude lately and picked up some bad habits. We took the phone away with 3 weeks of school left and he pulled all his grades back up to A's, B's, and C's. He's still failing math, but I'm convinced the math teacher doesn't know how to teach. His attitude is much better, too, and he pays more attention to his siblings who adore him. Do we take advantage of other methods of correction? Of course we do, and we don't think that his age is appropriate for corporal punishment. But when I look at how he used to act versus how he turned out, yeah...I'm satisfied that his mother and I did the right thing with him and his brother and sister.

If you don't like it, then don't do it. How you choose to correct your own children, if you correct them at all, is none of my business. I just happen to see nothing wrong with it.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 10:21 am

AngelRho wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
There's a fine line between abuse and appropriate physical discipline. I agree that there's nothing funny about corporal punishment. I think hitting a child with a belt or a hose is a bit much. But as far as having the right to do so, well, if it doesn't leave a bruise or break the skin, it's difficult to justify that as abuse.

Parents often do take physical punishment to excess. Even if you can't technically qualify it as abuse, it is abuse of a method. Kids will eventually become immune to it and it loses its effectiveness. If parents find it funny, they're doing it wrong. There's nothing funny about a child who misbehaves to the level that they require correction.

I disapprove of all corporal punishment. There’s no “fine line” here.

It’s bullying, abusive behavior that signifies lazy parenting (or worse).

If you’re going to get beat with a belt, there’s probably going to be welts involved, even if just very temporary ones.

Smacking kids around with your hand causes red skin.

I’d like to see stricter laws in place. We make it too easy to abuse kids in this country.

There are plenty of other methods of discipline that decent, intelligent parents know of and implement.

If you don't like physically correcting a child, then don't do it. Nobody's forcing you to.

I don’t like seeing other people physically abuse their kids which is what “physical correction” is.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 11:11 am

AngelRho wrote:
Amity wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

It's an ineffective method of education, to physically assault another person; the primary lesson learned is fear, much too confusing for little ones and ultimately the learning outcome has not been achieved.

Whatever you aim to teach in these moments is not the main focus, as the childs brain is in a stress response state.
There are many more effective qualitative methods to choose from if education is the collective goal.

Oh, it's not ineffective at all... snip

Ok so it's not about education then? It's only about discipline? Really?
The art of self discipline taught through physical assault on a person much smaller than the person carrying out the assault....

That too falls apart after some thought :) though I estimate it's all tied into peoples identity system.

They all do, all arguments for physically assaulting a younger/smaller person... much the same reasoning as physical assault toward any person is not acceptable.

The rub is that appearances with or without actual understanding is the obvious goal, especially so as little ones do not have the all the capabilities adults require of them to perform superficial behaviour. Its a set up for a fail, feeding a loop.

Culturally, it may be normal in your pocket of the world, no judgement on the choices you have available. Where abouts in America are you based?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 11:17 am

^^^

I know this isn’t directed at me, but it’s still “normal“ where I live. I’m in rural Pennsylvania.

I do think that we can rise above our circumstances, at least, to some degree.

Then again, I’ve always been the weird one, so that might make it easier.

I’m a liberal atheist in a conservative, religious area, so why not question everything else?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 1:15 pm

By definition, :evil: child abuse :twisted: is illegal, bad, wrong

But "child abuse" is vague and subjective

The child and the defendant have different definitions of "child abuse"

An article claimed that a man told his daughter he was going to hit her. She told him it's illegal and she was calling 911. He told her go ahead. 911 came and supervised. 911 told her it's not child abuse

The Penal Code does not specify Newton's

Everyone has a different number of pain receptors

Different states and years have different laws

Even two different Child Protective Services representatives might say one situation is child abuse and the other one nothing

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 2:34 pm

In my childhood, people laughing at you while getting my a$$ beat to a pulp by my parents (who encouraged it) was meant to make me to feel totally worthless and lower than horsesh!t. (And people wonder I have such a low opinion of myself).

Again, it’s “spare the rod and spoil the child,” as well as “In order to make a child 100% compliant to your will and the will of God, you need to break them the same way you used to break a horse: with violence and cruelty.”

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jan 2020, 2:42 pm

Amity wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Amity wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Oh, it's not ineffective at all... snip

Ok so it's not about education then? It's only about discipline? Really?
The art of self discipline taught through physical assault on a person much smaller than the person carrying out the assault....

That too falls apart after some thought :) though I estimate it's all tied into peoples identity system.

They all do, all arguments for physically assaulting a younger/smaller person... much the same reasoning as physical assault toward any person is not acceptable.

The rub is that appearances with or without actual understanding is the obvious goal, especially so as little ones do not have the all the capabilities adults require of them to perform superficial behaviour. Its a set up for a fail, feeding a loop.

Culturally, it may be normal in your pocket of the world, no judgement on the choices you have available. Where abouts in America are you based?

I think it touches an important topic: disciplining children is a different thing from teaching them.
Different dimension.
It's important to have some discipline just to make life livable - like acceptably clean apartament and regular sleep for everyone - but let's not confuse strict discipline with teaching values.
I was spanked for telling lies which made me... an excellent, masterfully evasive liar.
Later, as an adult, I decided being honest to those who trust me is right.
Systems of punishments and prices teach people to gain prices and evade punisments.
To teach one values, you have to be true to your values first.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 2:53 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

If you’re going to get beat with a belt, there’s probably going to be welts involved, even if just very temporary ones.

I’d like to see stricter laws in place. We make it too easy to abuse kids in this country.

There are plenty of other methods of discipline that decent, intelligent parents know of and implement.

If you don't like physically correcting a child, then don't do it. Nobody's forcing you to.

I don’t like seeing other people physically abuse their kids which is what “physical correction” is.

IIf it's assault than you have an obligation to intervene. If it's not assault you shouldn't care.

**the parent who's in the midst of whooping their kid

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 4:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

If they feel one is entitled to 'physically correct' another, why not merely 'correct' them** with a sock full of change?

If it's assault than you have an obligation to intervene. If it's not assault you shouldn't care.

When does it cross the line into “assault,” though?

I think it’s too slippery of a slope which is why physical discipline should be completely outlawed as some other countries have done.

I do care when kids are mistreated. Why shouldn’t I?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 5:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

If they feel one is entitled to 'physically correct' another, why not merely 'correct' them** with a sock full of change?

If it's assault than you have an obligation to intervene. If it's not assault you shouldn't care.

When does it cross the line into “assault,” though?

I think it’s too slippery of a slope which is why physical discipline should be completely outlawed as some other countries have done.

I do care when kids are mistreated. Why shouldn’t I?

I thought I was pretty clear about how to respond when it crosses the threshold into assault:

funeralxempire wrote:
If they feel one is entitled to 'physically correct' another, why not merely 'correct' them with a sock full of change?

Since your safety is more important than the abusive parent's, don't stop hitting until they're no longer able to actively defend themselves or resist your will being imposed. I guarantee they'll never hit another kid again, certainly not in public. Inflicting PTSD tends to be quite effective at modifying behaviour.

Oh, I get it now.

While it sounds like fun, it could potentially lead to legal repercussions. Sometimes I’d like to sock stupid parents a good one...

And I wouldn’t normally say “boo” to a goose. Scary, viscous birds.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 6:14 pm

Flaming posts removed. If that poster continues to flame, then formal warning will apply.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 6:26 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
By definition, :evil: child abuse :twisted: is illegal, bad, wrong

But "child abuse" is vague and subjective

The child and the defendant have different definitions of "child abuse"

An article claimed that a man told his daughter he was going to hit her. She told him it's illegal and she was calling 911. He told her go ahead. 911 came and supervised. 911 told her it's not child abuse

The Penal Code does not specify Newton's

Everyone has a different number of pain receptors

Different states and years have different laws

Even two different Child Protective Services representatives might say one situation is child abuse and the other one nothing

It’d be interesting to know exactly what the dad said. Sometimes parents are required to take parenting classes even if they don’t necessarily lose custody.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 8:08 pm

B19 wrote:
Flaming posts removed. If that poster continues to flame, then formal warning will apply.

Allow me to double down, if you believe hitting children is acceptable you do not possess the judgment to be trusted supervising them, let alone raising them.

If you believe hitting children in public is acceptable somebody should intervene with as much force as is necessary to resolve the situation.

It isn't flaming to state my position firmly..

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 9:09 pm

B19 hasn’t stated her beliefs.

I believe that if “correction” involves intentionally inflicting physical pain, no matter how minor, then it is abuse. (I would also include emotional abuse which intentionally inflicts emotional pain.)

The trauma may not be as severe as more brutal forms of abuse (although if it occurs repeatedly it could be), but it’s still a problem.

Also, perhaps most importantly, it’s too difficult to draw a clear line between what should be allowed and what shouldn’t be which is causing many kids to slip through the cracks.

If we abolish physical “discipline” as they have in some other places and use alternative methods, we’ll be protecting more of the children we do have which should be one of our biggest priorities.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 01 Jan 2020, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.