Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 4:01 am

Here are some things about 90-s that I miss.

1. Back in the 90-s when I said I have Asperger, the most likely reaction was "whats that". The other two reactions that were second to this were "its not an excuse" and "you don't raelly have it". On the other hand, right now everyone knows what it is and suspect that I have it even if I don't tell them. I know a lot of aspies might disagree with me, but I strongly prefer the reaction back in the 90-s. At least back then I wasn't stereotyped and people were trying to encourage me to do my best socially. Right now, on the other hand, they just assume I will always be this way and give up on me.

2. Here is something closely related to the above. Back in the 90-s people kept telling me that making friends is important and I didn't believe them. Right now I am the one who thinks making friends is important, but nobody believes me. Perhaps its because back in the 90-s they didn't stereotype me based on Asperger so they tried to encourage me to lead the normal lifestyle. Right now they do stereotype me so they assume I don't need friends. Too bad I didn't see their point back in the 90-s and never took all those opportunities that were offered to me.

3. I didn't know that there is such a thing as internet till the beginning of 1998. The internet addiction is horrible, it holds me back academically. Right now there is nothing I can do about it since everyone expects me to check email. Back in 1998-1999 they didn't. So if I were to go back to 1998 or 1999 knowing about myself what I know now, I would avoid both email and internet and lead a happy life.

4. Back in the 90-s nobody expected me to be tech savvy, now they do. I am still bad at technology. I struggle when it comes to power point and prefer to do the talks on transparencies. Yes, they let me do it, but I stand out. Back in the 90-s I wouldn't have. And, by the same token, my current thesis advisor is mad at me because I wouldn't learn how to do math calculations on various computer programs -- he wants me to learn either matematica or matlab or maple, he doesn't care which one, he just wants me to learn one of them. But I find it super difficult. Back in the 90s nobody would have expected me to do it.

5. Back in the 90s people thought of orange juice as healthy, right now they came up with all those nitpicky theories why it isn't. Well, if you want to be nitpicky you can prove that just about anything and everything is unhealthy. Sometimes we just have to use common sense, and the fact that orange juice is healthy is part of common sense. But I guess people nowdays don't have common sense any more that they used to have back in the 90s. I guess internet brainwashed them or something.

6. Nowdays there are all those security cameras, they put microchips into passports, and so forth. As a Christian, it makes me worried about mark of the beast coming. Back in the 90-s they didn't have any of those security measures. We could go to airplane without taking off our shoes. And passports didn't have microchips in them either.

7. Last but not least: back in the 90-s I was in my teens so I had life ahead of me. Now I am 40. Well I don't look back to early 90-s (too much bullying at school and babying by my parents), I more look back to late 90-s, like 97 is my favorite, but 98 and 99 are okay too. So I guess it is weird to say that being 18 or 19 is still teen, but anyway I really miss it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 4:07 am

the 90s were a simpler time, no doubt.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 5:23 am

QFT wrote:
Here are some things about 90-s that I miss.

1. Back in the 90-s when I said I have Asperger, the most likely reaction was "whats that". The other two reactions that were second to this were "its not an excuse" and "you don't raelly have it". On the other hand, right now everyone knows what it is and suspect that I have it even if I don't tell them. I know a lot of aspies might disagree with me, but I strongly prefer the reaction back in the 90-s. At least back then I wasn't stereotyped and people were trying to encourage me to do my best socially. Right now, on the other hand, they just assume I will always be this way and give up on me.

2. Here is something closely related to the above. Back in the 90-s people kept telling me that making friends is important and I didn't believe them. Right now I am the one who thinks making friends is important, but nobody believes me. Perhaps its because back in the 90-s they didn't stereotype me based on Asperger so they tried to encourage me to lead the normal lifestyle. Right now they do stereotype me so they assume I don't need friends. Too bad I didn't see their point back in the 90-s and never took all those opportunities that were offered to me.

3. I didn't know that there is such a thing as internet till the beginning of 1998. The internet addiction is horrible, it holds me back academically. Right now there is nothing I can do about it since everyone expects me to check email. Back in 1998-1999 they didn't. So if I were to go back to 1998 or 1999 knowing about myself what I know now, I would avoid both email and internet and lead a happy life.

4. Back in the 90-s nobody expected me to be tech savvy, now they do. I am still bad at technology. I struggle when it comes to power point and prefer to do the talks on transparencies. Yes, they let me do it, but I stand out. Back in the 90-s I wouldn't have. And, by the same token, my current thesis advisor is mad at me because I wouldn't learn how to do math calculations on various computer programs -- he wants me to learn either matematica or matlab or maple, he doesn't care which one, he just wants me to learn one of them. But I find it super difficult. Back in the 90s nobody would have expected me to do it.

5. Back in the 90s people thought of orange juice as healthy, right now they came up with all those nitpicky theories why it isn't. Well, if you want to be nitpicky you can prove that just about anything and everything is unhealthy. Sometimes we just have to use common sense, and the fact that orange juice is healthy is part of common sense. But I guess people nowdays don't have common sense any more that they used to have back in the 90s. I guess internet brainwashed them or something.

6. Nowdays there are all those security cameras, they put microchips into passports, and so forth. As a Christian, it makes me worried about mark of the beast coming. Back in the 90-s they didn't have any of those security measures. We could go to airplane without taking off our shoes. And passports didn't have microchips in them either.

7. Last but not least: back in the 90-s I was in my teens so I had life ahead of me. Now I am 40. Well I don't look back to early 90-s (too much bullying at school and babying by my parents), I more look back to late 90-s, like 97 is my favorite, but 98 and 99 are okay too. So I guess it is weird to say that being 18 or 19 is still teen, but anyway I really miss it.

As a 90's guy myself I can get behind everything you said except the orange juice thing. orange juice is 100% not healthy. As someone who used to do bodybuilding I can verify that no serious bodybuilder or exercise enthusiast worth his/her salt drink orange juice. orange juice has too many refined sugars and other chemicals in it, if you dont believe me check the nutrition facts on your next orange juice carton. If you still dont believe me how about you hit the gym and observe yourself whether orange juice has a negative effect on your own body or not and if you can lift heavier and run longer while drinking orange juice or without it

Master Oogway

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 5:28 am

ANY fruit juice is loaded with sugar and to be avoided. and whole wheat has a surprising amount of natural sugars in it.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 5:51 am

salad wrote:
As a 90's guy myself

But it says you are 23, so you were like less than 3 year old in the 90-s. How do you remember your early childhood so well? Or are you saying you put down the wrong age?

salad wrote:
If you still dont believe me how about you hit the gym and observe yourself whether orange juice has a negative effect on your own body or not and if you can lift heavier and run longer while drinking orange juice or without it

Back in 1997 I ran cross country in high school. They called it "3 miles" but today they call it "5K". Actually the difference between 3 miles and 5K is big enough for 5K to take almost a minute more; so I wish I knew which one it actually was, but I don't know. In any case, whatever it was, my best time was 17 minutes and 7 seconds, but that was a one-off. Usually my time was between 18 and 19 minutes and there was 1 time when I did 20-something and 1 time 21-something. At the same time, the one time when I did 17 minutes and 7 seconds was the only time when it was totally flat. All other times we ran on the mountains. So I guess its possible that on flat surface I was, in fact, that fast. They should have had me run on flat surface more, but oh well.

In any case, fast forward it to today. As of today I can't do either 3 miles or 5K in 20 minutes -- not even if its flat. If I try really hard, I can get slightly less than 22 minutes for 5K and around 21 minutes for 3 miles. Well, back then I drank orange juice daily. Right now I only drink it in rare occasions. I am not saying orange juice helped me; its probably my age. But still, orange juice didn't seem to hurt me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 6:32 am

5K is 3.1 miles, out about 3 miles, 175 yards.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 8:58 am

The 90s were a pain in the butt. I was in my 30s then. Things are much easier for me now than then.

I had to pay bills via snail-mail then. It wasn’t an idyllic life for me.

The 2020s are better for people with executive functioning difficulties. If you lost an important document in the 90s, you probably were pretty screwed. You would have had to wait weeks to have that document mailed to you. Now, you could probably get a printed copy right away of that document for a small fee.

You had to actually go to stores to shop, most of the time.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 14 Jan 2020, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jan 2020, 9:32 am

1990s... being a child in a developing country. It certainly had its fun. I was poor but everybody was poor back then.
Travelling like 8 persons in a 5-person car... nobody heard about baby seats here. Well, maybe some heard about them. But we didn't have a car anyway.
Everything was rapidly changing here in the 90s. The economy booming from almost nothing to... something.
I liked the dynamics of that time. Would I be happy about it if I were an adult back then? My parents were full of hopes. My parents-in-law were rather scared.
Now my country is officially "developed". I guess it's better that way.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 12:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You had to actually go to stores to shop, most of the time.

I go to stores to shop now, too. I only tried to buy things over the internet twice -- both times the book through Amazon -- and the second time I did this, I never received that book. Buying things in the stores is far easier as far as I am concerned.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 12:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The 90s were a pain in the butt. I was in my 30s then. Things are much easier for me now than then.

Yep, same here. I have a strong suspicions people our age will mostly feel this way :)

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 12:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The 90s were a pain in the butt. I was in my 30s then.

I would much rather be in my 30-s then in my 50-s. Being in my 50-s scares the hell out of me. In fact, the fact that I reached 40 is a disaster, which is one of the main reasons I look back to good old days.

But then again, being in my 30-s is bad too, which is the reason I miss 90s. But if I can't get to my teens or twenties, I would at least wish to be 30 again than to be stuck where I am 40.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 2:19 pm

I went through a huge 90s nostalgia phase in my early 20s, but when I came out of it I realized something important. I tended to recall the good points of the 90s and completely forgot things about the 90s that aren't as good as what we have now. In short, it really was a rose-coloured glasses thing. There are things about the 2010s (and now 2020s I guess) that I really like too, but I was for a time so focused on the best points of a decade that came and went a long time ago.

Note that I think revisiting the past is a good thing. I just don't think it's worth living there. At most maybe get a summer home there, so you can enjoy a nice vacation for your mind by basking in the good points of the past and none of the bad. You can do this by enjoying your favourite 90s media that you still have access to, for example. But, do remember that it's 2020 out there and like it or not, you still have to live in the current day.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 2:25 pm

Tross wrote:
I went through a huge 90s nostalgia phase in my early 20s, but when I came out of it I realized something important. I tended to recall the good points of the 90s and completely forgot things about the 90s that aren't as good as what we have now. In short, it really was a rose-coloured glasses thing. There are things about the 2010s (and now 2020s I guess) that I really like too, but I was for a time so focused on the best points of a decade that came and went a long time ago.

I remember some bad things. Like I got two Ds in one semester in the 1999. It was the only time I had anything below a C, so it was quite a trauma. I still would rather be 19 and have those two Ds than to be 40 and have mostly As (which is where I am right now). Having bad grades at school is not nearly as bad as throwing away 20 years of my life having been going in the wrong direction research-wise.

Someone else mentioned how they had to use snail mail in the 90s to pay the bills. I guess in the 90s my mom paid all my bills, but I remember using snail mail in early 2000-s. I actually miss it!! ! Isn't it funny that -- despite the inconvenience of snail mail -- it is actually a good thing since it relates to the good old days?

The only time where the bad might have outweigh the good was *early* 90-s since back then I was bullied at school and treated like a little kid. Its actually the *late* 90-s that I miss. But even with early 90-s I would still prefer it to right now. Back then I could look forward for this to end few years later. RIght now I have nothing to look forward to, I will only get older not younger.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 2:45 pm

QFT wrote:
salad wrote:
As a 90's guy myself

But it says you are 23, so you were like less than 3 year old in the 90-s. How do you remember your early childhood so well? Or are you saying you put down the wrong age?

salad wrote:
If you still dont believe me how about you hit the gym and observe yourself whether orange juice has a negative effect on your own body or not and if you can lift heavier and run longer while drinking orange juice or without it

Back in 1997 I ran cross country in high school. They called it "3 miles" but today they call it "5K". Actually the difference between 3 miles and 5K is big enough for 5K to take almost a minute more; so I wish I knew which one it actually was, but I don't know. In any case, whatever it was, my best time was 17 minutes and 7 seconds, but that was a one-off. Usually my time was between 18 and 19 minutes and there was 1 time when I did 20-something and 1 time 21-something. At the same time, the one time when I did 17 minutes and 7 seconds was the only time when it was totally flat. All other times we ran on the mountains. So I guess its possible that on flat surface I was, in fact, that fast. They should have had me run on flat surface more, but oh well.

In any case, fast forward it to today. As of today I can't do either 3 miles or 5K in 20 minutes -- not even if its flat. If I try really hard, I can get slightly less than 22 minutes for 5K and around 21 minutes for 3 miles. Well, back then I drank orange juice daily. Right now I only drink it in rare occasions. I am not saying orange juice helped me; its probably my age. But still, orange juice didn't seem to hurt me.

I call myself a 90's kid even because I was born in the 90s, not because I had all my fondest memories from that era.

I guess you're the exception to the rule then, cuz all the bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts I know eschew soft and fruit drinks and stick solely to water, protein shakes and tea.

Master Oogway

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 2:51 pm

salad wrote:
I call myself a 90's kid even because I was born in the 90s, not because I had all my fondest memories from that era.

But I thought the context was you saying you relate to the viewpoint of people at the time. In order to do that, you would have to be old enough to understand it and learn it.

salad wrote:
I guess you're the exception to the rule then, cuz all the bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts I know eschew soft and fruit drinks and stick solely to water, protein shakes and tea.

Thats what they do now. But you don't know what they did back in the 90-s or do you?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 3:45 pm

I grew up in the 90's and early 2000's and I didn't have a very good time. There are times I miss and certain things I miss sometimes...but overall I think I was too depressed in my childhood and got bullied a lot...and I am sure sometimes I thought people were picking on me because I was just taking things too serious. I always felt like something was wrong with me or different about me but I couldn't figure out what it was. Also my parents didn't have a good relationship so home wasn't exactly a place of solace. My main escape was reading books...my mom didn't like video games otherwise it probably would have been a mix of the two because I was always interested in playing video games but kinda hard to do if you're not allowed. Though I did whenever I was at a friends or family members house who'd let me get on their console.

I don't miss the 90's that much.