Page 5 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 9:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Here's Shelly Kagan for everyone's enjoyment. :heart:

Listening right now, wasn't familiar with him but he reminds me at least a little of John Vervaeke in his lecture style.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 9:21 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
The point I was trying to raise, is that just because someone can see or sense things on a spiritual level, it does not mean that there is anything wrong with those who can or do, as one or two were implying that anyone who sees or has spiritual experiences needs therapy because it does not match the experiences of those who don't have any spiritual experiences.

I do agree that there can be a situation where the mind can see things that are not there if the mind has certain issues, but I certainly do not believe that most cases when someone sees or feels spiritual things going on that it is the persons mind that is at fault, as in no way can I deny that the spiritual realm exists. My experiences prove to me without doubt that spiritual things exist and it is not my minds imagination. Many of these experiences were seen or felt by others at the same time.

In other threads, you’ve talked about often seeing demons, so I thought you were referring more to seeing demons, angels, ghosts, UFOs, etc. (as mentioned in the original post) than to a more abstract spiritual vision.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 9:24 pm

I added the other examples to broaden the appeal so that the subject can be explored. :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 9:38 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
The point I was trying to raise, is that just because someone can see or sense things on a spiritual level, it does not mean that there is anything wrong with those who can or do, as one or two were implying that anyone who sees or has spiritual experiences needs therapy because it does not match the experiences of those who don't have any spiritual experiences.

I do agree that there can be a situation where the mind can see things that are not there if the mind has certain issues, but I certainly do not believe that most cases when someone sees or feels spiritual things going on that it is the persons mind that is at fault, as in no way can I deny that the spiritual realm exists. My experiences prove to me without doubt that spiritual things exist and it is not my minds imagination. Many of these experiences were seen or felt by others at the same time.

I can agree with what you said Mountain Goat.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 9:39 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Can you see demons, angels, ghosts, UFO's etc? Some people can. Some can't. Someone mentioned that those who see them need to see a psychiatrist, but shouldn't it be the other way round? Could it be those who don't see such things be at fault and have a disability compared from those who can? Of course, it all depends what is going on with the individual on a mental, spiritual and physical level. But my point is, just because a person can see into the spiritual realm, it does not mean that there is something wrong with them. Quite the contrary. Could there be something wrong with those who don't?

i would not say "something is wrong" but i would say that we are all wired differently and come to earthly incarnation with a different complement of powers. some people are tone-deaf so music is not for them. some people lack antennae for faint signal reception ["sensitives" aka psychically talented folk]. some people can only comprehend the here and now, what is right in front of them, that is how they are tuned. for example, i have never been able to tell when somebody is staring at me. some would say that is because i'm dense, and they may be right but that is how god made me. but i have seen 3 oofohs in a 10 year period, i never thought i'd witness such phenomena until i did. my late parents communicated with me in various ways after their passing, in dreams and waking wonders, and occasionally olfactorily. a few hours after my dad's passing, both me and my mom were simultaneously awoken [we compared notes later that morning] with the sound of my late father calling our respective names. about a week after my mom's death i was disturbed by a horrendous din arising from the basement of their house [at night], a howling, banging, groaning, metallic scraping racket that continued for about a minute until i shouted "OK ALRIGHT ALREADY I HEAR YOU!!" at which point the sounds stopped dead cold. now and then, somebody's thoughts will invade my cranium and without realizing it was the person's thoughts instead of their speech [it seemed like they were "talking to me" at the time] i will reply to what they were ask/thinking of me, and invariably this will spook these people. i can't control this, it just comes to me when it will. my sister and hospice nurses all witnessed my dad's spirit leaving his lifeless body, a wispy filmy white misty cloud that accumulated near the ceiling, then disappeared. my mom saw the spirit [a floating glowing head] of her newly deceased mother floating in the darkness of the bathroom at night when she did her business, that is how she found out her mom just died. i've known many people with similar experiences.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 9:48 pm

I'm not really smart enough to understand these things, but I was wondering if the dreams that foretell come about due to the infinite realities postulated to exist in parallel.

AB, happy you have chimed in. :D

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 9:51 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I'm not really smart enough to understand these things, but I was wondering if the dreams that foretell come about due to the infinite realities postulated to exist in parallel.

I don't know but one conclusion I came to with some other people on a different board:

If we were dealing with an Everett or Many Worlds type of universe where consciousness had outreach you'd probably have so many branches that such dreams couldn't happen easily out past a few days. If we're in a Minkowski block universe of that sort (ie. eternal past/present/future as a solid) then there'd likely be no limit because there's no branching to worry about.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 9:53 pm

Blazingstar wrote:

TY Blaze :flower: i trust in your smarts by dint of your professional job and college degree. :study: anyways, the latest physics says that there are multiple dimensions of reality/multiple universes that may have different qualities and quantities of/about them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 11:04 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I added the other examples to broaden the appeal so that the subject can be explored. :)

Thank you for clarifying, MG!

I'm pedantic and yes, I read and interpret prompts carefully before responding, just as I did in University. :P

When you said "demons, angels, ghosts, UFOs, etc." in your OP, the "etc." allows us to extrapolate and include all metaphysical or immaterial phenomenon in the human experience, which materialists discredit as unreasonable.

Likewise the word "spiritual", which you used in your thread title, is defined as "relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul, as opposed to material or physical things". The definition of "spiritual" as pertaining to religion or gods is secondary.

In short, yes I "see into the spiritual realm" because I believe in immaterial energy - whatever that may include - and I've had distinct experiences which others could verify. I am no scientist, and I'm far from being a philosopher, but I have studied (and taught) advanced metaphysics, epistemology, deductive logic, and existentialism enough to recognise forces and factors unseen.

As Blabby so eloquently stated, humans are all on different wavelengths and we all have different abilities in this regard.

Thank you so much for introducing this topic, and for clarifying your intent.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 7:21 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Thank you for clarifying, MG!

I'm pedantic and yes, I read and interpret prompts carefully before responding, just as I did in University. :P

When you said "demons, angels, ghosts, UFOs, etc." in your OP, the "etc." allows us to extrapolate and include all metaphysical or immaterial phenomenon in the human experience, which materialists discredit as unreasonable.

Likewise the word "spiritual", which you used in your thread title, is defined as "relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul, as opposed to material or physical things". The definition of "spiritual" as pertaining to religion or gods is secondary.

In short, yes I "see into the spiritual realm" because I believe in immaterial energy - whatever that may include - and I've had distinct experiences which others could verify. I am no scientist, and I'm far from being a philosopher, but I have studied (and taught) advanced metaphysics, epistemology, deductive logic, and existentialism enough to recognise forces and factors unseen.

As Blabby so eloquently stated, humans are all on different wavelengths and we all have different abilities in this regard.

Thank you so much for introducing this topic, and for clarifying your intent.

Verified by whom?

I have yet to see anything that would actually count as proof. Intellectualizing something doesn’t necessarily make it valid or count as proof.

I’ve had experiences that, at face value, could be considered psychic, but on deeper reflection, they were actually logical conclusions drawn from observing small clues that most people wouldn’t notice. I’m very observant (and imaginative).

Also, there’s frequently a fair amount of confirmation bias going on in this arena. People tend to remember the times when their “psychic” ability was correct while forgetting all the numerous times it wasn’t.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 7:48 am

Well I have had some interesting experiences. One time while in the woods I saw or had a vision of a woman with two children for a brief moment. I then found out later on that I was very near an old cemetery on private property that has some quite interesting claims made about it, including people seeing the ghosts of a woman and two children.

Then there was the time I was visiting the local large old cemetery that has a lage pyramid shaped family crypt. Sometime later on a stroll I came upon a mansion and I somehow knew that house belonged to the family in the pyramid crypt. I looked it up and sure enough I was right. With both the mausoleum and mansion I got a feel/vison of the primary occupants.

Here is one of many webpages about the cemetery next to the woods:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ghostl ... ashington/

And here is the crypt and mansion. The mansion is supposed to be haunted btw.

Last edited by EzraS on 20 Jan 2020, 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 7:51 am

@Twightlight Princess: Isabella stated her experiences are validated by herself and she stipulates she is not psychotic, taking meds, etc, etc.

Confirmation bias is not pertinent here. I think you have misunderstood what Isabella and AB and tech8 are saying. None are stating they are psychic, as in seeing into the future and/or spirit realm, reliably. As I understand it (and I hope they will correct me if I am wrong) there are times when they do see, but most of the time, not so.

The reason I elaborate here is not to say that you, Twilight Princess, are wrong. Not at all. And I get that some people with mental illness and/or a history of mental illness, could find this topic frightening.

But that these experiences are real and a discussion of them is interesting to some of us. Others, perhaps like yourself, just think we are crazy and/or wrong.

Quakers believe they have a direct experience of God/Spirit/whatever you want to call him/her/it. It is an experiential religion.

A fascinating book which explores some of the indigenous Amazonians use of plants for spirituality is
One River by Wade Davis. The original research (12 years in Amazonia) was done by Richard Schultes, a Harvard botanist. Wade Davis was a student of Schultes, also Harvard. It is difficult to blow off these extremely intelligent and particular researchers. (And yes, I know Tim Leary started at Harvard *sigh*)

A less expansive tome that covers spirituality in a variety of other cultures is The Serpent and the Rainbow, also by Wade Davis.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 10:52 am

I actually had what I thought were demonic experiences when I was younger that were not accounted for by mental illness.

I now know that they were the result of an overactive imagination and heightened suggestibility (along with confirmation bias) based on cultural/religious beliefs.

I know people who’ve experienced something similar to that, but it’s extremely unlikely that demons were ever at the root. Once the belief in demons is removed, the suggestibility is gone and one can see the illusion for what it actually is (unless other factors are involved other than an overreactive imagination and suggestibility).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 11:47 am

I have no experience with angels or demons and wasn't raised in a culture suggestive of such thoughts. Religion has nothing to do with my understanding of metaphysical phenomena. To me, they are two separate fields of study.

Hundreds of years ago people did not understand much of the science we take for granted today. People did not know there were sound waves, light waves, prisms of colour, or even germs and bacteria inside the air around us, because they couldn't be seen or quantified. The "invisible" elements of science were not thought to exist. It took years of disease, death, and study for the invisible germs in air, water, or the human body to be understood.

Now we take this knowledge for granted. We also understand that "invisible air" contains water molecules (the water cycle), wifi and remote signals, pollution, gas emissions, chemicals, radiation, and other forms of energy such as static, heat and cold.

I'm straying off topic so I apologise. My point is that forces do not have to be visible in order to exist. Our understanding of science, matter, energy and the (seemingly) "immaterial" evolves continually. If I lived 100 years ago I would not believe that Skype was possible. I wouldn't understand MRI technology or microwave ovens or much that we understand today.

The original OP asked whether people who acknowledge immaterial forces are necessarily psychotic.

My answer is no.

Are people who don't believe in "the spiritual realm" disabled somehow?

Again, no. Everyone is different, and everyone has has different experiences to shape their opinion.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 12:04 pm

(Sorry Isabella, not having a go at you!!) I don't get why people separate non-human beings such as angels and demons into a religious category, and just assume STRICTLY that only dead humans or "ghosts" might realistically exist in those other realms. Why would only humans wander those other dimensions? Why are angels and demons fantasy to some, but dead humans aren't? Are humans the superior race, and we're the only ones that exist in this universe with a high intellect, therefore we're the only beings that exist in the spiritual realms?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 12:15 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
... The original OP asked whether people who acknowledge immaterial forces are necessarily psychotic. My answer is no...
I have to agree; such people are not necessarily psychotic. There are many other things that can also cause a 'Spiritual' experiences, like Alcohol Intoxication, Alzheimer's Disease, Amanita Muscaria Intoxication, Anoxia, Ayahuasca (DMT) Intoxication, Bereavement, Bipolar Disorder, Blindness, Blood Sepsis, Borderline Personality Disorder (BPA), Brain Damage/Lesion, Brain Tumor, Cannabis Intoxication, Charles Bonnet Syndrome, Concussion, Delirium Tremens, Delusional Thinking, Depression, Drug Withdrawal, Ear Infections, Epilepsy, Extreme Pain, Fatigue, Fever, Hearing Loss, Hypnosis, Insomnia, Lewy Body Dementia, LSD Intoxication, Mass Suggestion, MDMA Intoxication, Mescaline/Peyote Intoxication, Migraines, Narcolepsy, Parkinson's Disease, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Prescription Medications, Psilocybin Intoxication, Psychosis, Salvia Intoxication, Schizoaffective Disorder, Schizophrenia, Sinus Infections, Sleep Disorders, Soma Intoxication, and Stroke.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.