Congratulations to the again-free people of Britain

Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 8:21 am

I've no doubt upper class 'lager lout' types like Jacob Rees-Mogg will make a fortune out of whatever goes wrong post Brexit .

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 9:10 am

So, when can all us Brits stop seeing cookie warnings on all the websites we visit.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 9:45 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Will the transition get done on schedule or will the problems that so delayed getting to this point reemerge?

I wouldn’t rule out splits and rebellions on the Tory backbenches during the coming second phase of negotiations: there are many longstanding Tory MPs who want as hard and abrupt a separation as possible, but also many new MPs in that party who got their jobs by promising state investment in rust belt areas of the north: they may feel wary of anything that could cause economic dislocation and prevent them from fulfilling those commitments.
We won’t know until we’re into the process of course, but the Conservative party does have a long history of splits over trading policy going back as far as the 1830s: if I gambled I’d be putting my money on more time wasting shenanigans and full and complete leaving date sometime 2022-2025.
But then I tend to pessimism. :wink:

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 10:12 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Will the transition get done on schedule or will the problems that so delayed getting to this point reemerge?

Almost certainly there will be delays.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 1:16 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

If we dont delay then its highly likely we would leave with only partial trade agreements in place which would hit the economy in the areas not covered.

Raised By Wolves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2020, 4:38 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-51341735

congratulations?

This the UK we now live in and no it's not just a fringe minority, there are lots of people who think like this.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 4:51 pm

Raised By Wolves wrote:

congratulations?

This the UK we now live in and no it's not just a fringe minority, there are lots of people who think like this.

Unpleasant ... but this is the triumph phase: I think the real worry is what happens if/when a disappointment phase kicks in.

JohnInWales
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2020, 4:54 pm

Raised By Wolves wrote:

congratulations?

Presumably he'd send Welsh residents of the flats back home too then! I live in a Welsh speaking area of Britain, but don't speak a word of the language (I tried, but failed!), and you know what? It's fine. I've never met anyone who's bothered about it. Welsh speakers speak their own language, and if they want to communicate with someone who doesn't speak Welsh, they change to English. Or speak both languages depending on which person in a group they're addressing. I wish I could speak Welsh, and had an opportunity to stay in his flats :lol: .

Does he also expect people to speak with a Norfolk accent, because I'm originally from Berkshire, and probably wouldn't understand a lot of what someone with a strong local accent says!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 11:45 pm

The sounds of freedom.

There Are Four Lights!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 1:24 am

Darmok wrote:
The sounds of freedom.
I've placed a $50 bet at 3 to 1 odds that a year from now, the clamour will involve much "wailing and gnashing of teeth".  Maybe a few garments will be rent as well...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 1:31 am

I'm wondering how many countries, if any, follow suit and also leave the EU. If for example, a second country leaves, then a third and so on, I'd be very interested in how they fare. Either they'd all fail, all succeed or some would fail and some would succeed. The second or third possibility would show that perhaps the EU isn't a panacea.

JohnInWales
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Feb 2020, 1:48 am

Magna wrote:
I'm wondering how many countries, if any, follow suit and also leave the EU. If for example, a second country leaves, then a third and so on, I'd be very interested in how they fare. Either they'd all fail, all succeed or some would fail and some would succeed. The second or third possibility would show that perhaps the EU isn't a panacea.

Or maybe it will encourage them to stick together, and make the EU work even better, when they see what a disaster leaving is. I hope that happens for all our sakes, as one of the biggest reasons for creating the EU was to prevent the wars that devastated Europe for centuries happening again.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 2:20 am

That's garbage.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 4:12 am

Raised By Wolves wrote:

congratulations?

Who would have thought that all the dog whistle element of Brexit over the last 4 years would have emboldened certain sections of society to behave like this?!

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 6:19 am

Fnord wrote:
Darmok wrote:
The sounds of freedom.
I've placed a $50 bet at 3 to 1 odds that a year from now, the clamour will involve much "wailing and gnashing of teeth".  Maybe a few garments will be rent as well...

Have you decided what to spend your winnings on yet?

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 6:35 am

What have we actually been freed from ? I must have been asleep for a very long time as I never noticed the EU stormtroopers that were controlling us .