Corona makes me feel that humanity has it all wrong

Page 3 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 2:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nanotech devices are machines that can only be seen under a microscope. Theoretically, they would be about the size of a blood cell, and would perform simple functions like chopping up cancer cells or releasing medicines at specific sites. Science-Fiction and Fantasy stories go so far as to say that nanotech can be used to reduce organic matter to a "gray goo" that could then be used to construct an entirely new creature. In Star Trek, for example, the Borg used "nanites" to take over and reconstruct humanoid species into mindless drones whose only purpose was to assimilate even more humanoid species into the Borg collective. Resistance was futile.

I'm a "mindless drone" to begin with :)

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 2:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nanotech devices are machines that can only be seen under a microscope. Theoretically, they would be about the size of a blood cell, and would perform simple functions like chopping up cancer cells or releasing medicines at specific sites. Science-Fiction and Fantasy stories go so far as to say that nanotech can be used to reduce organic matter to a "gray goo" that could then be used to construct an entirely new creature. In Star Trek, for example, the Borg used "nanites" to take over and reconstruct humanoid species into mindless drones whose only purpose was to assimilate even more humanoid species into the Borg collective. Resistance was futile.

Could be useful in micro-surgery I suppose.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 2:21 pm

Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yes, that's the general idea.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Mar 2020, 3:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
We should not be comparing Covid-19 with the Spanish Flu. Totally different animals. Totally different times

Try telling that to the families who lost a loved one to it, though.

It’s just one of many viruses which, perhaps, mutates from another virus. Its severity might be caused by its “novelty.”

I think I must have misread a table I looked at. I thought Spanish flu had a similar mortality rate to Covid-19's reported (but preliminary) mortality rate of 3.4%. Apparently it was more like 10%, and Covid-19 probably seems more deadly than it is because we don't detect mild cases very well.

So the comparison is maybe not the best one, but atm they're talking about a worst-case scenario where Covid-19 infects 80% of people and 0.5-3.4% of those infected die. That's a long way off and very unlikely, but it's already looking very different to other novel coronaviruses like SARS and MERS which were very deadly but not very infectious.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 4:30 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
We should not be comparing Covid-19 with the Spanish Flu. Totally different animals. Totally different times

Try telling that to the families who lost a loved one to it, though.

It’s just one of many viruses which, perhaps, mutates from another virus. Its severity might be caused by its “novelty.”

I think I must have misread a table I looked at. I thought Spanish flu had a similar mortality rate to Covid-19's reported (but preliminary) mortality rate of 3.4%. Apparently it was more like 10%, and Covid-19 probably seems more deadly than it is because we don't detect mild cases very well.

So the comparison is maybe not the best one, but atm they're talking about a worst-case scenario where Covid-19 infects 80% of people and 0.5-3.4% of those infected die. That's a long way off and very unlikely, but it's already looking very different to other novel coronaviruses like SARS and MERS which were very deadly but not very infectious.

My comparison was it seems to be less deadly than Spanish Flu: but that a lot of government and media reactions look like fear of a repeat of the Spanish Flu is at play in their thinking.
(Think I also mentioned the Black Death as well)
Also noted that we have much improved medical & managerial practices compared with a century ago (let alone six centuries ago) to deal with this sort of event.
Which all made sense (or at least I thought it did) in the context of that thread.
I was attempting to be a voice of calm & reassurance within that context :wink:

I think it was chris1989’s thread on the subject, but I might be mistaken (there have been a few!)

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 3:20 am

Fnord wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
We need a new human being who is able to understand and feel each other's experiences. With a greater understanding of the human brain, nano-tech, the human genome and more advanced AI and networks we can accomplish this.
Evidence, please?
cubedemon6073 wrote:
With these combined technologies we can all link up together and achieve consensus on a global scale.
Evidence, please?
cubedemon6073 wrote:
O.N.E. = One Nation Earth and especially with nano-tech we can do this.
Evidence, please?

Mere speculation and plots or gimmicks from Marvel Comics are not evidence.

Fnord, this is as you called it. It is speculation. It is an opinion. An idea as you would call it. This isn't something scientific I was trying to prove. I can see how you would interpret it the way you did. I should've used better wording. That's my fault.

Fnord, another thing. In all the years I've been on here with you I've asked you to prove your BS plenty of times and asked you logical questions plenty of times to explain things further. Yet, you have failed to do so Mr. Scientist who demands proof for everything. So, pot calling kettle.....

Finally, from my interactions with you it is like speaking to someone who behaves exactly like a Houyhnhnm who has no imagination at all. No thinking in possibilities or thinking what could be even if the thinking is flawed. No sense of wonder whatsoever. It is so extremely frustrating to have a conversation with you b/c Mr. Scientist who acts like this smug Houyhnhnm demands things from others yet refuses to give it himself.

Last edited by cubedemon6073 on 06 Mar 2020, 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 3:28 am

Fnord wrote:

And guess what it was said by others we couldn't fly. We're flying now.

It was said we couldn't go past the speed of sound. We've went past the speed of sound.

We keep hearing over and over from your scientific community that it is impossible to go past the speed of light. Well, what is the track record of saying something is impossible to achieve?

Fnord, the scientific method is excellent but you and your colleagues lock yourselves in box.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 3:32 am

Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Teach! You got it. This is the basis for my idea. Imagine if you will one could copy certain parts of the brain, transmit this configuration over a network and rework parts of another brain using this micro-surgery. In effect, the part of the brain that stores the memory of how women feel on their periods. Imagine being able to copy the configuration of this and then doing micro-surgery on a man's brain so the man could feel what a woman feels.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 3:46 am

Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
... what is nano-tech? ...
Google is your friend (so is Wikipedia)...
Quote:
Nanotechnology (or "nanotech") is manipulation of matter on an atomic, molecular, and supramolecular scale. The earliest, widespread description of nanotechnology referred to the particular technological goal of precisely manipulating atoms and molecules for fabrication of macroscale products, also now referred to as molecular nanotechnology. A more generalized description of nanotechnology was subsequently established by the National Nanotechnology Initiative, which defines nanotechnology as the manipulation of matter with at least one dimension sized from 1 to 100 nanometers. This definition reflects the fact that quantum mechanical effects are important at this quantum-realm scale, and so the definition shifted from a particular technological goal to a research category inclusive of all types of research and technologies that deal with the special properties of matter which occur below the given size threshold. It is therefore common to see the plural form "nanotechnologies" as well as "nanoscale technologies" to refer to the broad range of research and applications whose common trait is size.

Nanotechnology as defined by size is naturally very broad, including fields of science as diverse as surface science, organic chemistry, molecular biology, semiconductor physics, energy storage, microfabrication, molecular engineering, etc. The associated research and applications are equally diverse, ranging from extensions of conventional device physics to completely new approaches based upon molecular self-assembly, from developing new materials with dimensions on the nanoscale to direct control of matter on the atomic scale.

Scientists currently debate the future implications of nanotechnology. Nanotechnology may be able to create many new materials and devices with a vast range of applications, such as in nanomedicine, nanoelectronics, biomaterials energy production, and consumer products. On the other hand, nanotechnology raises many of the same issues as any new technology, including concerns about the toxicity and environmental impact of nanomaterials, and their potential effects on global economics, as well as speculation about various doomsday scenarios. These concerns have led to a debate among advocacy groups and governments on whether special regulation of nanotechnology is warranted.

Fnord, she wanted what your take on it was not the dictionary definition. In school I dealt with teachers who would tell me to go look things up. But, what they and those such as yourself don't understand is that I wanted what you said it was. Your meaning. Your thoughts. Your perceptions. Not Websters. I don't give two s**ts what wikpedia or websters says even though I do make use of them. And, neither did she.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 4:37 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Teach! You got it. This is the basis for my idea. Imagine if you will one could copy certain parts of the brain, transmit this configuration over a network and rework parts of another brain using this micro-surgery. In effect, the part of the brain that stores the memory of how women feel on their periods. Imagine being able to copy the configuration of this and then doing micro-surgery on a man's brain so the man could feel what a woman feels.

If a man could feel what a woman feels there would be much more harmony in the world cube, but on the other hand, less "make up" sex :D
Personally I love the male brain, I wouldn't change it's configuration. I could imagine though that autism makes male/female communication additionally challenging and frustrating. If women would verbalise their feelings more and men would learn to listen passively without offering solutions ( that's not what we are looking for) it would be less invasive than re-configuring the brain.

It's amazing how differently male and female brains work isn't it? According to my spiritual belief, our purpose in life is to overcome all these differences and love each other despite them, embrace the differences, respect them, validate that different is not defected or flawed. This brings me back to my OP.

Cube, are you thinking in terms of correcting autism with Nano-tech? Not sure if that is a good idea. That is fundamentally changing who people are in essence, technology such as that in the wrong hands could be disastrous. Makes me think of "Clockwork Orange."

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 5:26 am

Quote:
If a man could feel what a woman feels there would be much more harmony in the world cube, but on the other hand, less "make up" sex :D

True :lol:

Quote:
Personally I love the male brain, I wouldn't change it's configuration. I could imagine though that autism makes male/female communication additionally challenging and frustrating. If women would verbalise their feelings more and men would learn to listen passively without offering solutions ( that's not what we are looking for) it would be less invasive than re-configuring the brain.

I wouldn't change it unless he wanted to change it within himself. But, what I meant though is that maybe my idea could give the male a certain insight into the feminine mind. In a group at my old job I worked at when I did work we were given a sort of a tour. We had to go through an obstacle course that was led by a blind person. The lights were cut off. The purpose of this was to sort of give us a taste as to what it was like to be blind. She was able to navigate it easily and we had to have help to lead us. It gave me empathy for the blind and to kind of know what it was like for them.

I wish to replicate this but using mind to mind transfers of experiences using micro surgery.

Quote:
It's amazing how differently male and female brains work isn't it? According to my spiritual belief, our purpose in life is to overcome all these differences and love each other despite them, embrace the differences, respect them, validate that different is not defected or flawed. This brings me back to my OP.

But to do this we have to have the empathy or be able to wear their shoes. But can we really do that without the experiences? On a rudimentary level maybe but what if we could go deeper?

Quote:
Cube, are you thinking in terms of correcting autism with Nano-tech? Not sure if that is a good idea. That is fundamentally changing who people are in essence, technology such as that in the wrong hands could be disastrous. Makes me think of "Clockwork Orange."

Different topic altogether but I would want the ability to be able to choose to do this or not for myself. I don't want it forced on others or those who want it be prevented from getting it.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 6:44 am

Cube,the experiment of being temporarily blind is an excellent one in order to "put ourselves in someone elses shoes." Bravo to you that you can empathise and place importance on our abilities to sense each others' experiences and emotions, and constantly aspire to improve on them, in order to upgrade our human connection. You are lovely and I am sending you a Corona free virtual hug, with the level of intensity and pressure that suits you perfectly.

(You are lucky it's virtual because IRL I just crush those I love in a bear hug.)

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 7:20 am

Teach51 wrote:
Cube,the experiment of being temporarily blind is an excellent one in order to "put ourselves in someone elses shoes." Bravo to you that you can empathise and place importance on our abilities to sense each others' experiences and emotions, and constantly aspire to improve on them, in order to upgrade our human connection. You are lovely and I am sending you a Corona free virtual hug, with the level of intensity and pressure that suits you perfectly.

(You are lucky it's virtual because IRL I just crush those I love in a bear hug.)

Thank you for your virtual corona free hug!

I believe that Empathy, not technology, not government, and not religion is our salvation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_ ... evelopment

Look at the Kohlberg's stages of moral development especially the 6th stage. I believe with what I'm proposing humanity can get to this 6th stage.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 8:34 am

Thank you, it's a bit over my head to understand. I have a profound faith in God but I am not religious. I don't think God cares for us fighting over religious differences. I am not against religion for others. I am a practical kabbalist, and though it evolved from Abraham and Judaism you don't need to to be jewish to implement its principles. It is a science, and teaches how to utilize the laws and forces of nature and correct our souls by connecting with each other above all our differences. There are many mumbo jumbo kabbalah offshoots, mine has no mysticism or celebs, true kabbalah is just a handbook to how the forces of the universe work and why. How to utilize the Light, the Creator, who according to the wisdom of kabbalah is a dormant and static Force that we awaken when we connect, like a great transformer we receive this Light if we have an altruistic intention. The "Minyan" group of ten in prayer, is fundamental in Judaism, ten people create this transformer, that awakens the Light. In Judaism no-one prays alone. In kabbalah we all pray for the rest of the world and never ourselves.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 9:57 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
... Imagine if you will one could copy certain parts of the brain, transmit this configuration over a network and rework parts of another brain using this micro-surgery. In effect, the part of the brain that stores the memory of how women feel on their periods. Imagine being able to copy the configuration of this and then doing micro-surgery on a man's brain so the man could feel what a woman feels.
More science-fiction. The movies "Johnny Mnemonic" and "Total Recall" riffed on this general theme, as did Neuromancer and several other science-fiction novels.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 9:59 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Fnord, she wanted what your take on it was not the dictionary definition ... I don't give two s**ts what wikpedia or websters says even though I do make use of them. And, neither did she.
I saw no request from her for "Opinions Only; No Facts, Please", thus my factual replies.