[ POLL ] An Argument Against Universal Basic Income.

Page 11 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Do you agree with the premises and conclusion of the essay?
Yes, absolutely! 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Yes, mostly. 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Some things yes, some things no. 27%  27%  [ 12 ]
No, mostly. 33%  33%  [ 15 ]
No, absolutely! 22%  22%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 45

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 2:01 am

lazy people are actually very sensible :wtg:

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 2:38 am

King0fSpades wrote:
Tross wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
The bible is so vague that anybody can interpret it however they want. And it has been used by followers of Christ to justify some truly despicable things for centuries.

But try convincing them of that fact. :roll:

Which is interesting, because if you actually read the bible neither Jesus nor Paul would condone any of that. You can take quotes out of context to justify almost anything, but if these groups actually understood the message of the Gospels, they wouldn't have done half of what they did in God's name. Ironically too, the sordid history of Christianity is a reason why many people are turned off of the idea of coming to Christ, which goes against the very mission of the church. Who the heck wants to join a group of people known for doing horrible things and are reputed to be judgmental above all else? It's why many churches to this day are having to do damage control.

Well I dont think embracing an unhinged megalomaniac like Donald Trump as God's 'chosen one' is helping to improve the reputation of Christianity. They are the ones driving people away from Christ and they have brought it on themselves.
From what I've heard, a lot of Christians like him because there's some conspiracy theory going around that the Democrats are out to restrict Christianity to some capacity, and Donald...isn't. I've even heard people go as far as to say that many top Democrats are secret Muslims. Of course, that's not nearly as out there as the theories I've heard that people like the Clintons are Satan worshipers who eat babies.

Whatever the case may be, Christians have been through far worse than the Democrats could ever put anyone through. I have heard far more plausible stories of some churches being forced to provide same-sex marriages...and of course there's everyone's favourite term "Happy Holidays" around Christmastime, but I haven't seen firsthand evidence of the former, and the latter is more of a norm than a law, and even then, I've yet to truly offend anyone by saying Merry Christmas to them.

Regardless, raising Donald up as a savior is a little much IMHO...and treating him like a second messiah just plain goes against the Bible. Besides, I can think of few people less Christlike than he is :roll:
auntblabby wrote:
the fake xtians are under the collective delusion that they can get while the getting is good and have an automatic express pass to paradise above while the rest of us "heathens" BBQ in perdition. little do they suspect..... :twisted:
Well, the Bible explicitly says that all one needs to do to be welcomed into Heaven is accept Jesus as their savior and believe that they are saved through Him, which does mean that even those "Christians" have a path to salvation. It does also commission Christians to try and lead others to Christ though, and those people are going to have a very difficult time doing that by virtue of most people preferring not to associate with anyone who would judge them. That and Jesus and Paul were both adamant that Christians should not persecute others.

Also, the idea is for people to accept Christ into their heart so that it can change, for the better. There is a bit of grey area too where someone could technically accept Christ, but not truly believe in his salvation, in which case they may very well be rejecting the free gift that would enable them to go to Heaven in spite of coming to The Lord. It should be as easy as checking off a box, but in reality it may not be that simple. I'm going to be careful to avoid wishing that these "Christians" are excluded from salvation though, as I don't wish Hell on anyone.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 4:49 am

I am open to UBI but i weary of it mainly because of hyperinflation like 1920s Germany....

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Aug 2021, 10:21 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
I know it's not my business, but I still feel like pointing out that when being rich is mentioned in a topic where it's relevant, it's not exactly bragging. It's taking a part in the conversation properly by bringing out facts. Besides, this is PPR; people are allowed to discuss more sensitive stuff here, including financial politics.

And before someone thinks I'm only saying this 'cause I'm also rich: no, I'm not. I'm not rich. I'm a min wage part timer who hasn't been able to get a full time job in years. Not gonna reveal numbers, but I'm sure everyone can do the math even without those that I'm by no means rich.
This thread was originally posted in Work & Job Finding section & I did not notice that it had gotten moved. I don't go in PPR unless I see a thread in another section that gets moved here. I don't have the patience, energy, or focus to get involved in very heated political debates. Hard for me to even be in heated debates in L&D these days. I was not just going by his posts in this thread, I was going by his SN & things he mentioned in other threads. My comment was not meat as a personal attack & I apologize if it came off that way.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 11:25 am

nick007 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
I know it's not my business, but I still feel like pointing out that when being rich is mentioned in a topic where it's relevant, it's not exactly bragging. It's taking a part in the conversation properly by bringing out facts. Besides, this is PPR; people are allowed to discuss more sensitive stuff here, including financial politics.

And before someone thinks I'm only saying this 'cause I'm also rich: no, I'm not. I'm not rich. I'm a min wage part timer who hasn't been able to get a full time job in years. Not gonna reveal numbers, but I'm sure everyone can do the math even without those that I'm by no means rich.
This thread was originally posted in Work & Job Finding section & I did not notice that it had gotten moved. I don't go in PPR unless I see a thread in another section that gets moved here. I don't have the patience, energy, or focus to get involved in very heated political debates. Hard for me to even be in heated debates in L&D these days. I was not just going by his posts in this thread, I was going by his SN & things he mentioned in other threads. My comment was not meat as a personal attack & I apologize if it came off that way.

Alright, no harm done. I haven't seen enough of his posts to say anything about that, so I'm gonna drop the subject here.

BTW, gotta agree with you on L&D; I stopped posting there a long time ago, though I still lurk around from time to time.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 2:08 am

nick007 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:

No worries I did not take it as personal attack so its all good.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Sep 2021, 3:32 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kewl :D We may seem like opposites politically(at least on some things) & we may be passionate about our beliefs/opinions(I know I sure am anyways) but we can still respect each other & that's very important.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 3:35 am

It may actually be cheaper to pay some people a UBI than force them to work.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 3:39 am

increasingly, too many jobs are too complex for people with average IQ. something's gotta give.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 4:08 am

nick007 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Kewl :D We may seem like opposites politically(at least on some things) & we may be passionate about our beliefs/opinions(I know I sure am anyways) but we can still respect each other & that's very important.

Thats great Nick007.I am also passionate about my beliefs but I respect you for sure and I agree thats extrremely important.I know you have been through a lot and so have I.I try to give everyone on this site the benefit of the doubt.Thanks.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 2:56 pm

"This Too Shall Pass"...

Perhaps When The Last
Generation of the Ignorance
of Christianity Goes Away From

The Ignoricism of Worshipping
Before Breath And After Breath More

Than Breath

Now Yes Perhaps

Then A Basic Income

Of Soul Breathing Now Will

Be More To Worship And Support Now

For All When The Younger

Generations Not So

Colored by Greed

of the Protestant

Work Ethic and Associated

Verses to Support The Expansion

of the Roman Empire Version of Society

Were In Vogue then As the Religion of Green

God Money Protestant Work Ethic is Used to Promote

Capitalism

On the Face

Again oF A Religion

Now False that Supports

After Breath and Before Breath

More Than Breathing Now Where

Incest and Rape Are Cherished Ways

Of Producing Babies in Texas Where Children's

Breath With No Vaccinations in Pandemic Infested

Schools Are Legalized Out of Safety Of Masks For All concerned

in the EpiCenter of a Deadliest Pandemic For Both Texas

And Florida Men Fools True And Yes Three Other

Trump Ignorant Meme Religious Church

States True too Yet Amazing How

The Minority oF IGNorance

Continues to Rule the Majority

As The Minority Hold Hands of Church

And State In Gerrymandering Voting Until

Again A Very Ignorant Generation Passes Away...

Until Then You May Do What i Do Generate Your Own
Basic Income of Soul if You So Wish in Autotelic Flow

Generating Your own Happiness Within Where That 2021
Blue Subaru Outback That Costs Over 40,000 Dollars Is Still

Pocketed

By The Husband

At A Thousand Dollars

A Month Saved in A Zero

Percent 3 Year Lease and More

As True Honda Civic 2014 EX Coupes

Will Last Practically A Lifetime More in Pandemic

Traveling

Conditions Now
And on Top of that

Lord Knows There are so
Many Virtually Free Ways

To Spend Your Days Entertaining

Angel Wings All Around the World

And Sure pestering the Smaller Creatures Bound to Earth

Still Attempting to Sprout Wings of Basic Income Within

to truly save

A TREMENDOUS

AMOUNG OF GREEN GOD DOUGH...

Trust me (or not) when i say There are many
Ways STiLL NoW to Beat A System aS iGNoRaNT As
The one And Shallow As Mud Puddles That Dream NoW

Or Don't Beat the System, took me a while; Yes. 5.3 Decades to Be Successful at Beating the
System in the United States that Ignorantly Consumes 40 Percent of the Human Resources
on Earth With 4 Percent of the Population; Why Do 'They' (US) Do This; oh Why, oh Why, The Pervasive

Nature

of the

Religion oF iGNoRiCiSM
That Harms, Rapes,
Maims, Kill US And
The Rest of Nature Most...

Just Blind to What Soul Within

Will GRoW iNTo With Wings Free;

Just Saying F No to Every God Dammed New Car Commercial that comes on;
And All Those Frigging Extended Warranties for A Car That Never Breaks Now...

In Effect

This is What
Capitalism Means

Buying What's Already

Free And Losing Freedom Altogether True...

Other than that it Forces Folks to Work to Fix Whatever Breaks around my Home...

It's Worth Noting That the Introspection That comes in Dark Days Like A Pandemic

Changes Folk's Attitude toward what's important in Life Altogether; Some folks

Won't Be
Going

Back to

Soul S88KinG Jobs;

Some Folks Will Live

On Less And Do More Free...

More Folks Will Beat the System

And i Might Just Have to Wait A Few More

Months to Get my Beautiful New Panoramic

Hurricane Proof, 5 Foot High by 8 Foot Wide
Window Installed to View my Garden of Eden
From the Inside Out too Just out my Backyard

Forest

Where Nature

is Still Naked

And Free Including
me too With All New
Board-on-Board Privacy
Fencing Keeping all the
Ignorance out of my View
to Heaven for Real Now Free...

One Things for Sure, if Folks Keep

Losing Their Ability for Empathy for
Others The Humanity Whole Boat Will Sink Sooner than Soon;

And For Folks Who Do Not Believe that Arts in Creativity Like
Poetry is Healing And Soul Building; Perhaps They Don't Live

in A Greater

Country

Within

Than Money And Stuff Either...

Nature is Free, Nature is God, and So Am i...
The Hell With all the System of Human Clothes/Tools
Except for the Ones i Master of Course for my own Personal Craft....

And True the Ones Others Still Wear that Fortunately i am Still Able to Use too...

How Much Longer...

How Much Longer..

Depends on How

(Automation A Must to Survive)

Much Longer Folks Wanna Be
Used by Others Now... There are
Lots of Ways to Generate Basic Income
Without The Middle Man Indeed Clue
True Without the Middle Man Indeed...

Just Naked, Whole, Complete, Enough as a Frigging Squirrel...

Yet A Flying One Smart Enough, Whole Enough, Complete Enough to Master 'the Tool'...

Bottom Line Don't Expect Much As Long as The Ruling Bottom Class of the Pyramid Whole
Continues to Hold Hands Stronger Together Voting For Breath Before Life and After Life Most....

Face Palm
Thick

Forest

i Shut
Out 'Next Door'
For my Own Dam Good...

And Only Visit to Study As
An All Volunteer Anthropology
Participant Observer in a Golden Age

Hobby All
Free to Do...

Free Stuff
Free Stuff
Free Stuff

Do the Free Stuff
Send Buy and Sell
To Hell While You Enjoy
Heaven Now; Meh, FREE
STUFF WORKS FOR ME NoW..;)

-The Dude

Not The
Fictional One...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 3:15 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

We can do both.

Government can require able-bodied UBI recipients to do government work.

Such as pick up trash, remove graphitti, wash police cars, mow city parks, cut city trees, guard city buildings, deliver food to elderly, clean city buildings, paint city buildings, construct new housing ...

So, people *earn* their UBI.

Be the hero of your life.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 10:03 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

We can do both.

Government can require able-bodied UBI recipients to do government work.

Such as pick up trash, remove graphitti, wash police cars, mow city parks, cut city trees, guard city buildings, deliver food to elderly, clean city buildings, paint city buildings, construct new housing ...

So, people *earn* their UBI.

That would easily become cheap labor as people would no longer needed to be hired for those things, then. Plus, picking up trash would be fine, but not all of those things are so simple that you can do them without education and training (or are laws about that very loose in the USA?) Working as guards and in construction especially wouldn't do if one wasn't qualified.