Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2020, 9:37 pm

Brictoria wrote:
I'm fairly sure those communities formed like that MANY years prior to the "True Australian" issue, forming on the goldfields in the mid 1800's, for example. The push was to try to prevent this "division" of society into racial groups\enclaves, and to try and form a single "Australian" community. Otherwise you end up with places such as Footscray or Box Hill (both in Melbourne) where there are areas with few (or no) signs in English and hearing english spoken is extremely rare, giving the feeling that those who live in the area wish to have nothing to do with others (outside their own "group") in the country in which they live.

The true Australian issue was very clearly articulated in the 1800s on the masthead of the Bulletin which (BTW) was not taken down till the early 1960s. "Australia for the Whiteman". Of course Australians are awful when it comes to history or geography so it's not that hard for the current generation to selectively ignore this history but their grandparents are still around so at least they remember. People walk around the issue but I don't think its been adequately addressed in Australian society.

Footscray and Springvale are Vietnamese cantons which are different to Box Hill/Glen Waverley which are China towns. Africans and South Asians have their cantons in Dandenong and Endeavor Hills.

Brictoria wrote:
The problem is there is one side seeking to bring everyone together into one "harmoneous" group, whereas the other side wants to keep each "group" sperate, which leads to friction where different groups beliefs\customs\etc. come together. The sad part is that the group seeking to emphasise (and protect) the differences over similarities is the one who accuses the other of focussing on (or pointing out) these same differences.

Not sure you remember when SBS TV started? I do. It was celebrated because of the lack of representation on Australian television, Even today if you watch Channel 9 or watch Neighbours or Home and Away you would think Australia is a monoculture. The lack of representation is still there because the average person does not want to see blackfaces (although they don't mind seeing Darryl Summers or Sam Newman in blackface). That's the sad truth.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 12:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
I'm fairly sure those communities formed like that MANY years prior to the "True Australian" issue, forming on the goldfields in the mid 1800's, for example. The push was to try to prevent this "division" of society into racial groups\enclaves, and to try and form a single "Australian" community. Otherwise you end up with places such as Footscray or Box Hill (both in Melbourne) where there are areas with few (or no) signs in English and hearing english spoken is extremely rare, giving the feeling that those who live in the area wish to have nothing to do with others (outside their own "group") in the country in which they live.

The true Australian issue was very clearly articulated in the 1800s on the masthead of the Bulletin which (BTW) was not taken down till the early 1960s. "Australia for the Whiteman". Of course Australians are awful when it comes to history or geography so it's not that hard for the current generation to selectively ignore this history but their grandparents are still around so at least they remember. People walk around the issue but I don't think its been adequately addressed in Australian society.

Footscray and Springvale are Vietnamese cantons which are different to Box Hill/Glen Waverley which are China towns. Africans and South Asians have their cantons in Dandenong and Endeavor Hills.

And it was these "cantons" that help cause the division in communities - They seem designed exclusively to "wall off" the members from the rest of the nation: Taking the advantages of "Australia" while not being willing to become a part of the country as a whole, which can cause distrust of their community by those outside of it through their seeming unwillingness to engage with those outside the community.

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
The problem is there is one side seeking to bring everyone together into one "harmoneous" group, whereas the other side wants to keep each "group" sperate, which leads to friction where different groups beliefs\customs\etc. come together. The sad part is that the group seeking to emphasise (and protect) the differences over similarities is the one who accuses the other of focussing on (or pointing out) these same differences.

Not sure you remember when SBS TV started? I do. It was celebrated because of the lack of representation on Australian television, Even today if you watch Channel 9 or watch Neighbours or Home and Away you would think Australia is a monoculture. The lack of representation is still there because the average person does not want to see blackfaces (although they don't mind seeing Darryl Summers or Sam Newman in blackface). That's the sad truth.

I certainly remember my Grandmother refusing to allow it to be watched at her place when we visited due to the, shall we say, "adult themes" permitted for which it became notorious...We only had 2 stations on the telly where I lived (and we weren't allowed to watch it much anyway).

The lack of representation you complain of on other stations, however, is caused by the producers of the television shows, not the stations broadcasting them: A station commisions a series of x episodes of Y length and has (in general) no control over the script. If the audience likes the show, they continue, if not it is cancelled...There is nothing to stop a group who feels they deserve to be included\portayed within a series going to the producers and asking to be included...Or putting together their own suggestion for a series and presenting it.

Have you considered that most people do not focus on (nor care about) a person's colour, or any other "minority group" characteristic, instead caring about a person's character. A person who is happy to have an honest conversation and discuss differences of opinion\belief\etc. in order to gain a better understanding, to me, is a much better person that one who continually berates others as being "racist", or telling others that they "deserve" something purely because they are of (or are not of) a given race\other protected characteristic, regardless of ability...

Sadly, it seems the left have abandoned MLK's dream, and now focus on the colour of a person's skin rather than the person's character, while projecting this behaviour onto others.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2020, 4:20 am

Brictoria wrote:
And it was these "cantons" that help cause the division in communities - They seem designed exclusively to "wall off" the members from the rest of the nation: Taking the advantages of "Australia" while not being willing to become a part of the country as a whole, which can cause distrust of their community by those outside of it through their seeming unwillingness to engage with those outside the community.

Not really...I know people in real estate and the old "white flight" was the reason these cantons all formed. A few "darkies" move in the neighborhood. The neighbors decide to move. The more darkies arrive and keep escalating. Second is white flight from schools. I've watched both in action. Primary schools in Glen waverely and Dandenong have almost 100% Asian students. How is that even possible? For example Glen Waverely still has 60%-70% of residents being "white" but none of the parents send their kids to the local schools. They bus them or drive 1-2 hrs to some private school far away so their kids don't go to school with asians. What sort of parent would spends thousands of dollars so their kid can go to an all white school? well...go visit any primary school in Box hill or Glen Waverly or Endeavor Hills and you will get your answer, and I can tell you Brictoria (Does that stand for British Victorian?) your theories don't apply here.

Brictoria wrote:
The lack of representation you complain of on other stations, however, is caused by the producers of the television shows, not the stations broadcasting them:

True...I'll agree with that...

Brictoria wrote:
Have you considered that most people do not focus on (nor care about) a person's colour, or any other "minority group" characteristic, instead caring about a person's character. A person who is happy to have an honest conversation and discuss differences of opinion\belief\etc. in order to gain a better understanding, to me, is a much better person that one who continually berates others as being "racist", or telling others that they "deserve" something purely because they are of (or are not of) a given race\other protected characteristic, regardless of ability...

In theory that should be the case but its not. I think this is universal and doesn't just apply in Australia. If you look at netflix TV dramas the bulk of those people choose to watch are monoculture ones. Youtube reaction videos to shows like Black panther or Girls Trip which were popular movies but had all black cast shows that comments below are almost 100% black people, it seems white people if they nothing to say about movies or TV dramas with black cast (probably because they don't watch them), The only exceptions Ive seen are Bill Cosby (Cosby show), Denzel Washington and comedian Dave Chappelle.

Brictoria wrote:
Sadly, it seems the left have abandoned MLK's dream, and now focus on the colour of a person's skin rather than the person's character, while projecting this behaviour onto others.

The left are still making the playing field level...until the jobs done we can start talking about judging man's character