Page 3 of 18 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 12:15 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Poor Elmer. How is he supposed to shoot that radically rabbit without a shotgun?

Lurcher dog and a ferret.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 4:27 am

More what Critical Race Theory curriculum looks like
Unfortunately this article is behind a paywall.Cathy Young for Newsday

Quote:
Culture wars over diversity, identity politics and "social justice" in New York City schools have been simmering for several years. Now, two controversies in the news highlight the troubling question of when anti-racism training turns into its opposite.

Last week, conservative activist Christopher Rufo sparked a Twitter uproar by posting a photo of a handout distributed to staff and parents at East Side Community School in Manhattan (grades six to 12). It’s a list of "8 White Identities," illustrated with a red-to-green color chart — starting with "white supremacist" and ending with "white abolitionist," which is defined as "changing institutions, dismantling whiteness, and not allowing whiteness to reassert itself." The in-betweens include "white privilege" (bad) and "white traitor" (good)

No, this is not a right-wing hoax intended to show that "anti-racism" is a code word for anti-white racism. A state Department of Education official told the New York Post that the document, written by Northwestern University associate professor Barnor Hesse, was shared among "materials meant for reflection" as part of "ongoing anti-racist work."

If you’re wondering how "dismantling whiteness" is anti-racist, the "anti-racists" will tell you that in their lexicon, "whiteness" does not mean skin color or ethnic background but "white supremacist culture."

But first of all, these activists tend to define such a culture to include characteristics that have nothing to do with racism and are arguably essential to a liberal knowledge-based society — such as, according to some literature, "objectivity," "individualism" and "worship of the written word."

Secondly: Why adopt this lexicon, if not to be deliberately confrontational? Why would people who usually urge keen sensitivity to potentially offensive language use "whiteness" — which, to the average person, means simply its plain meaning — to denote white supremacy? Why tell white Americans that rejecting racism requires "dismantling" their heritage? Why co-opt actual white supremacist language to call anti-racists "white traitors"?

In other developments, two educators from the Bronx — superintendent Karen Ames and teacher Rafaela Espinal — sued the Department of Education, claiming their careers were derailed by racial equity programs turned divisive.

Ames, who is Jewish, says she was berated for talking about her grandparents’ experience as Holocaust survivors during an anti-bias training session in which participants were asked to share personal stories about racism. Espinal, a Dominican-American Afro-Latina, says she was accused of not being "Black enough."

So far, the lawsuits have been reported primarily in conservative media. Yet they should also set off alarm bells for liberals.

Performative white-bashing won’t help the Black and Hispanic children who still lag behind in educational opportunities. It’s far more likely to help the right by triggering resentment.

I completely agree the we need more left of center people such as Bernie Sanders and Jodi Shaw the ex Smith college employee criticizing overcorrections like this. If it is pretty much only conservative and right wing sources pointing this stuff out then those are the sources I am stuck with. Most left of center people seeing the source will either not read the article or read the article after pre judging it before hand and hyperfocus on finding flaws and errors.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 6:57 am

I'm proud to be part of it.

People don't like me saying I'm 'woke' because it's a compliment.

So I'll come right out and say I'm glad people think I'm SJW.

I'm NOT because I don't cancel people (do the NT thing of telling others to boycott stuff I personally find offensive) but my values align to theirs in terms of anti-racism, anti-sexism, anti-homophobia, anti-transphobia. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

Plus a lot of the 'PC gone mad' type stories are overhyped. This is where I'm not SJW. I don't like idiots. I don't like people who take the tabloids as gospel or only read headlines. A lot of the PC gone mad comes from that. Comes from a company rebranding (because we live in capitalism, companies will do all sorts to stay relevant) and it being considered 'murdering the product' (in a non sexual, totally Marxist way: stop fetishising objects then...).

Or they're a case of a bad actor who's lgbt or a woman or not white being criticised as if you couldn't put a good actor from the same demographics into that role.

Or as if there always has to be a 'reason' for hiring someone who's not a cis het white guy (which... um, why... most of these movies/shows are set in New York or London or wherever, a very white, cis het cast where the only women are love interests and mothers looks weird to me - I will say that I'm against the 'woke' notion of putting people, usually POC (women tend not to be put in these roles without comment & lgbt stuff tends to be made into 'queer baiting'/'you could ship it that way') in roles they couldn't have realistically attained in historical things eg Detective Nightingale in the Frankenstein Chronicles - no way he'd have had that job in Georgian London - but maybe the answer to that is taking concerns of non-rich, non-privileged, even non-free, people seriously and telling their stories!).

Nowadays though? Why the hell not have a black cop or a female judge or gay politician or whatever? Reflects reality. Non-dystopian sci-fi should certainly be divirse! Dystopian sci-fi should show what happens to minorities in those societies: like The Handmaid's Tale series does. Fantasy world? Why assume that elves and goblins share our prejudices... Why not tell some horror stories that aren't the same old white ones? It fascinaes me to watch Korean Horror & see their monsters.

Most anti-woke arguments are just stupid & usually aren't voiced by people within that demographic. I don't really care about cis het white guys getting their feelings hurt cos they're not represented through every character. They're usually on the shows anyway!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 10:39 pm

I am Woke. I woke up this morning. :wink:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 5:21 pm

Misslizard wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Poor Elmer. How is he supposed to shoot that radically rabbit without a shotgun?

Its "rascally rabbit". Not "radically...".

Except that it's actually "Wascully wabbit". :lol:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 8:56 pm

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 9:10 pm

jimmy m wrote:

But The Cat in the Hat and Mr. Potatohead aren't going anywhere... :roll:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 9:12 pm

I'm henceforth calling anyone who complains about enlightenment in this way a drama llama.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 9:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

But The Cat in the Hat and Mr. Potatohead aren't going anywhere... :roll:

If you put the mustache upside down on Mr. Potato Head, he looks like Steve Harvey.

As for MyPillow, how was it different from other pillows?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 9:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Its "rascally rabbit". Not "radically...".

Except that it's actually "Wascully wabbit". :lol:

I liked Daffy getting shot and his beak being displaced.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 7:30 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
As for MyPillow, how was it different from other pillows?

Sarcasm:
All pillows should be banned because they are an example of systematic racism. Most of them are white propagating the idea that white equals good.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 7:38 am

The hottest theme in liberal punditry is mocking conservatives for their objections to Woke Culture's long march through American entertainment conglomerates. It's not "real news."

These were called "cancel culture" controversies, but that's not exactly precise. Hasbro mysteriously suggested it would remove the "Mr." from Mr. Potato Head but then backtracked. The Disney+ streaming service has added content warnings to 18 episodes of "The Muppet Show." That's not canceling Kermit the Frog.

Then, the publisher of classic Dr. Seuss books announced it would no longer sell six old titles it decided have racially insensitive imagery. Once again, this isn't "outlawing Dr. Seuss" or banning "The Cat in the Hat." But it can be defined as very negative branding of Dr. Seuss and the Muppets. Dr. Seuss and Muppet creator Jim Henson weren't racist, but these controversies might imply they were.

Fifty years ago, I adored Dr. Seuss books -- the drawings and the poetry. Our family watched "The Muppet Show" every Saturday night when it originally aired. These defined the words "family entertainment." Conservatives are mocking the left for attempting to turn wholesome products into loathsome products.

Meanwhile, left-wing media outlets such as National Public Radio offered the No. 1 spot in its "100 Best Songs of 2020" honors to Cardi B's smutty rap song "WAP" (for "Wet A-- P----"), and there are no content warnings for that on YouTube, not even the explicit version with the N-word. That is not wholesome family entertainment. Naturally, Cardi B doesn't let her daughter listen to her music. It just pays the bills. But everyone else's children can access the video on an iPad with no more limitation than five seconds of advertising. So save us the trigger warnings about people being harmed by Dr. Seuss books or "The Muppet Show."

Source: Dr. Seuss or 'Muppet Show' trigger warnings? Liberals, spare us. You say nothing about this

[youtube] {redacted} [/youtube]

Last edited by Cornflake on 06 Mar 2021, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.: WP aims to be a family-friendly site. Please keep adult issues in the adult forum.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 9:46 am

I have a weird point of view on this. I would ordinarily attribute this to AS but I don't see much commonality with other WPers in this regard so that's probably a red herring. One way or the other, I didn't grow up with a coterie of close friends so I do not feel especially tied to my generation and its culture nor do I have a posse of friends mutually reinforcing such ties.

So what's weird is that, with regard to entertainment, I overwhelmingly prefer currently produced content. I keep up to date on the latest from Netflix and Amazon Prime, and even some things that I don't think are so awesome, e.g. The Boys, I still watch as I find them watchable. However, much of popular entertainment from the 60s, 70s, and 80s is difficult for me to watch. In particular the sort of stereotypes on which so much of the humor is based, for example a motionless Indian who sits in front of a teepee and raises his hand and says "how!" when you approach. This is so out of phase with my modern-day view of the world that I have a hard time being entertained. Obviously there are distinctions. The 70s era Match Game was truly clever and the host (Gene Rayburn) has such a sophisticated perspective on the world, that I can enjoy that. In that case, it amuses me to guess the "correct" answers to questions, for example one that depends on the stereotype that African tribesmen cook missionaries and eat them. In that case it feels like my unique perspective, from the future, makes it easier for me than the contestants, because I understand how people thought back then.

Two cultural trends I never picked up on were Rap and video games. Although there are some people my age out there who are into video games, my real problem might be that when the earliest ones appeared (when I was in my late 20s) I was so clumsy and did so poorly with them that I soon lost interest. However I believe very few people older than late Gen-X truly understand Rap. It doesn't bother me though. As for Cardi B, I personally don't care what she is saying in the video and if NPR (an organization I admire) wants to honor it, then that's their business as I don't care to argue with their judgment. Not my circus, not my monkeys. I did take a look at some of the controversial Dr. Seuss material, and yes when I was a child I would not have seen anything objectionable there, but from my perspective in 2021 I can readily see how some might have a problem with it.

I wholeheartedly agree that much of today's "wokeness" goes to extremes, but I feel genuinely sorry for those whom this upsets. And this is my one observation regarding this thread, that allowing oneself to become upset about it benefits no one and only harms the person expressing outrage. The OP is 72 and I am just 4 years younger, and in all honestly NOBODY out there really cares what we think about this anyway.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 11:16 am

Ah yes, some things have been twisted in the media like gender neutral Potato head. No, there will still be a Mr. Potato head, they are just getting rid of Mister. They are just rebranding the name. Go ahead and make it Mr. or Mrs. You could have done this already long before they made it gender neutral.

It is only the company that had decided to stop publishing 6 of the Dr. Seuss books. No one is going to come and take your books away that will now be out of print. Now they will become a collectable and worth a lot of money. The gov is not behind this. No, the author did not get cancelled.

Some things get blown so out of proportion and the media will twist things and put misleading headlines to draw attention and people won't bother to use their critical thinking skills or actually read the dang article. It's called clickbait.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 2:05 pm

Why are conservatives so fixated on Cardi B's WAP? :?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 8:18 am

Cancel Culture's Next Target is Speedy Gonzoles

Cancel Pepe Le Pew and Speedy Gonzales? The two decades-old "Looney Tunes" characters were in peril recently after a New York Times columnist took issue with them in an op-ed about six nixed Dr. Seuss books.

"I loved watching Speedy Gonzales growing up," wrote one user, @soytaquitobelle. "He always outsmarted the ones trying to catch him or attack him. I’m Mexican. I don’t want him ‘cancelled.’"

Gabriel Iglesias, a Hispanic comedian who will lend voice to Speedy in the new "Space Jam" movie, called out "cancel culture" too. "Does this mean they are gonna try to cancel Fluffy too?" he tweeted, using a nickname for himself. "U can’t catch me cancel culture. I’m the fastest mouse in all of Mexico."

Speedy Gonzales defended after NY Times columnist blasts 'corrosive stereotype'

The cancel culture is a form of bullying. Do what I say or else!