Page 1 of 18 [ 279 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 12:54 am

Does anyone want to move to CHAZ? CHAZ stands for Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone. It's a six block section of Seattle that has been taken over presumably by BLM protesters complete with barricades. It's a law enforcement free zone.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 1:48 am

i haven't been to seattle in months and i live in king county...kind of scared to go now honestly. west seattle bridge is down anyway and the detour is impossible

they should change the "zone" to "district". so it can be CHAD

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 4:11 am

Magna wrote:
Does anyone want to move to CHAZ? CHAZ stands for Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone. It's a six block section of Seattle that has been taken over presumably by BLM protesters complete with barricades. It's a law enforcement free zone.

Just wondering. :scratch:
Can the anarchists access their social security payments there?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 6:54 am

My personal opinion is that they need to crack down on these protesters and crack down on them hard,the protesting,the riots the looting,it's all out of control.People have made there point on toxic police behavior and now it's time for order.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 6:57 am

Not necessarily CHAZ, but I have been trying to move to Seattle for years.

The cost of living there has prevented such a move.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 2:27 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
they should change the "zone" to "district". so it can be CHAD

I keep thinking all of these threads are talking about the Incel vs Chad meme because apparently my reading comprehension is near zero.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 3:52 pm

Feel the urge to yell viva La CHAZ. But you gotta know this won’t. Last , Trump has already threatened to send in the military , and then it may become a matter of who fired the first shot ..? And then you have got to realize
These folks know they have. NO. Chance against and serious military deployment . So obviously this is largely a symbolic Gesture . On both sides . The police have had access to surplus military equipment for so long .
That a serious effort to retake the police station , would merely require a small even poorly armed SWAT team
To retake the police station . This will merely be a small footnote in the history of Seattle . But. It is news worthy and inflammatory stuff sells media coverage . 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 6:49 pm

Just gonna leave this here:

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Also, I work a sh_t job for $10/hr. If they burn this mofo down I haven't lost much.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 10:13 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Also, I work a sh_t job for $10/hr. If they burn this mofo down I haven't lost much.

There really are two sides to every coin. The same Declaration would almost assuredly be used by gun rights people if there's a time in the future when the government would be taking their liberty away in their right to defend themselves. I'm guessing they would argue validity under their interpretation of the same.

Seeing how different groups have different concerns but in both cases being issues related to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness helps give me a well rounded perspective.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 10:29 pm

I keep hearing what a wonderful protection racket they've spun up. Orderly, expedient, and business-friendly - what's not to like.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 10:40 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I keep hearing what a wonderful protection racket they've spun up. Orderly, expedient, and business-friendly - what's not to like.

That's all I've heard so far; that it's a wonderful place. Perhaps it's true. It's also possible given they haven't let any "biased media" gain entrance that they're controlling the narrative. That seems creepy.

I was thinking today that if Minneapolis, a city of over 400,000 people dismantles its police department and if crime happened to increase markedly, there's no way a narrative of "it's all good" could to held for long. Maybe in the MSM, but with the internet, accounts from people as to their actual experiences would come out.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 10:47 pm

Magna wrote:
I was thinking today that if Minneapolis, a city of over 400,000 people dismantles its police department and if crime happened to increase markedly, there's no way a narrative of "it's all good" could to held for long. Maybe in the MSM, but with the internet, accounts from people as to their actual experiences would come out.

From most of what I heard the idea was to just remodel the police force or re-localize it to various city districts for better civic connection rather than having an umbrella division. If that's the case great, more power to them, just don't mess up the interim because you'll be left with a mess. If they actually do go through with 'no police' in the literal sense - my guess is they'll see their renters and anyone not staked down to a mortgage leaving town - great for revenue.

The other thing I think people have to remember aside from break-ins - murder, rape, child trafficking, etc. etc.. I don't think anyone wants their city to have the reputation of being a child trafficking oasis.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 10:50 pm

Something of a sidebar, ThinkingApe commenting on breath-taking behavior of media and health officials regarding Covid and where we're at now with it:

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 10:51 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Magna wrote:

From most of what I heard the idea was to just remodel the police force or re-localize it to various city districts for better civic connection rather than having an umbrella division. If that's the case great, more power to them, just don't mess up the interim because you'll be left with a mess. If they actually do go through with 'no police' in the literal sense - my guess is they'll see their renters and anyone not staked down to a mortgage leaving town - great for revenue.

The other thing I think people have to remember aside from break-ins - murder, rape, child trafficking, etc. etc.. I don't think anyone wants their city to have the reputation of being a child trafficking oasis.

I think property insurance has the potential of increasing substantially in any area where police are dramatically reduced.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 10:52 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Quote:

Try, as I might, I see no reference to the right to loot your brother's/sister's possessions and to destroy your fellow man's/woman's livelihood. :wink:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 10:56 pm

Magna wrote:
I think property insurance has the potential of increasing substantially in any area where police are dramatically reduced.

Pff, and that's a captive audience. Good luck selling at this point.