Page 4 of 18 [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 3:17 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, perhaps I watched a bad news source on it then. However, how does defunding the police increase make a difference when it comes to weed charges, or investigating when people may have been framed in crimes? I don't understand how defunding them will change those problems.

There has been things like the drug war that disproportionately affected certain populations differently in criminalizing things that were either harmless should instead to habitation, these used as reasons for increasing funding to the police. And you have things like arrest or ticket quotas along with other rewards for convicting people regardless of if they were innocent, which can be spurred by promises of increased funding or needing to create the appearance that the funding they have is reasonable.

Even if simply defunding them might not directly lead to these problems going away, I am pretty sure that there would be a boon in removing the incentives and so that they are not bloated and just looking to put people in jail. Their funding should not be from what amount of weed smokers they can crack and other things they could plant on someone they think is dangerous, nor if they really want military equipment like a tank, it should be on how they make everyone in their community feel safer. Especially not how a Sheriff or DA could gloat over how many convictions they had to further their career and promise to provide some kickback to the officers or stations that helped with that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 3:55 am

somebody will have to reinvent the bow street [capital hill] runners.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 3:57 am

sly279 wrote:
That’s assumes they’re all from Seattle it since many are staying in hotels during day or night whatever their shift would seem to point they aren’t,
Also the city isn’t theirs anymore then when I live is my city and I can therefore dictate on everyone else how it’s run.

Standard leftist argument strategy, anyone who disagrees with me is strawmaning or racist.

They stop being protesters when they seceded from the nation after forcibly taking land.

Rest aired if this happen in the city I live I. I’d be calling on our leaders to out end to it and restore order.
Do you even care about the people who live there being terrorized?

I bet you’re one to call police when your neighbors play music really loud after 10 pm? Imagine it being 24/7 and there’s no help to come.

Maybe you’re the one buying into biased media?

I don’t have empathy for criminals who hurt others and break laws.
I write my congressmen and sign petitions that if passed would bring real change within hurting others. My personal freedoms are under attack constantly in my state but we don’t take control over sections of cities and demand we be allowed to secede from the USA because of it. We peacefully protest then go home and we pass out ball out petitions and mail our politicians.
Those thousand people holding that area hostage would be better off standing at corners all over the city getting petitions signed.

What change is their all night partying getting?
Has Seattle banned no nick warrants like thst city in Kentucky? Have they got choke holds banned? No nothing.

Would you be as ok if it was proud boys holding section of Seattle saying they secede and want the whole city under their control? Would they still be protesting?
I already know your answer. Your biased cause these are leftist but I bet you wouldn’t accept this from any non left leaning groups.

I am biased because I am a human with empathy. I care because I have been following for years the injustice that has been perpetuated and nothing has come from it. A bunch of footballers tried kneel to have people listen to them and your people called them traitors that disrespected the flag. Nothing will ever be good enough for people like you to actually care and think things are wrong and should change without blaming them.

You complaining about the idea of people seceding, but people on the right often worship people that did exactly that so they could continue to have slaves. If you were principled perhaps you could stop trying to catch the Left in a gotcha and realize why people on the Right are upset of NASCAR banning the confederate flag.

You don't actually give a damn about whether everyone is equally safe or you would have written to a congressman or signed a petition when any of the other dozens of innocent black lives were taken by police brutality. But you didn't and you have no idea what little power these people have had in trying to have something like a petition achieve anything to not be discriminated by the police. But you don't care about them, and only care about if it is something that might affect you.

You literally have no idea how these people have been hurting, that you are ready to buy into whatever your news says about the scary black or Leftists that just love controlling people apparently instead of just want things to get better. I only imagine you would have to be blind to how the police violently cracked down on the peaceful protestors, the police that instigated the violence because they don't like the authority being challenge or being called out for the rot that is through their institution. The police don't deserve respect, they need to earn it.

And if Donald Trump and the other politicians want things to end, they just need to earn it by doing and saying something that tells they have been heard. Because that should be incredibly easy, but I fear that not even that is going to happen.

Also, I can't believe you are comparing BLM to the Proud Boys. A neo fascist organisation that is racist is not the same as people calling to an end to fascism and not be racist. Someone would have to be racist to think that they are the same thing. I would really hope that you would not consider the Proud Boys on your side like I would consider myself on the side of BLM.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 5:04 am

Didn’t know only liberal democrats are humans with empathy, so anyone not a liberal democrat is subhuman?

No wait we live in the real world.
I won’t talk to someone so biased they dehumanize anyone against them.

Mean accusing aspies on a Aspie website if not having empathy’s is damn low.
Liberal democrats don’t have a monopoly of being human or having empathy.
How dare you say that to me.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 5:27 am

sly279 wrote:
Didn’t know only liberal democrats are humans with empathy, so anyone not a liberal democrat is subhuman?

Yup.
"Untermensch".
"Neanderthal".

:mrgreen:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 6:01 am

I am not a democrat, and I don't dehumanize people different from myself.

But it is a proven fact that there are generally a difference empathy from someone on the left, a progressive, and a person on the right, a conservative. Conservatives usually only hold empathy for those in their immediate circle, their close family and people similar enough to themselves. Progressives can hold empathy for people that can be very different from ourselves, such as different skin, culture, beliefs etc. It is the reason we can champion the causes of those who do need it, even if there are a lot of differences.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 6:08 am

Bradleigh wrote:

But it is a proven fact that there are generally a difference empathy from someone on the left, a progressive, and a person on the right, a conservative. Conservatives usually only hold empathy for those in their immediate circle, their close family and people similar enough to themselves. Progressives can hold empathy for people that can be very different from ourselves, such as different skin, culture, beliefs etc. It is the reason we can champion the causes of those who do need it, even if there are a lot of differences.

Now *that* is a lot of waffle.
Care for some maple syrup? :mrgreen:

America is extremely polarised.
One of the 4 main reasons why it is being pulled apart.
I don't see a lot of empathy from *either* side of the political divide. :wink:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jun 2020, 6:11 am

Pepe wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Yup.
"Untermensch".
"Neanderthal".

:mrgreen:

Hey, leave Neanderthals out of it! I like them!

Typically, in law-enforcement-free zones, either mafia becomes a functional law enforcement or, especially in smaller communities, the community itself sets the rules and enforces them by some cultural consensus and lack of anonymity. That's why you usually don't have any police in small villages and they don't have to drown in crime.
In a city, you have either police, or mafia, or both. It's a problem of scale.
Police does not need to be brutal. Here it isn't and crime is low.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 8:56 am

Pepe wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

Now *that* is a lot of waffle.
Care for some maple syrup? :mrgreen:

America is extremely polarised.
One of the 4 main reasons why it is being pulled apart.
I don't see a lot of empathy from *either* side of the political divide. :wink:

I agree with you in regard to the political leaders on both sides that neither have empathy for the underprivileged. Democratic political leaders talk the same overworn tired talk, but to my knowledge nearly ever large urban area in the U.S. has been under Democratic leadership for decades and the plight of the underprivileged in the urban areas hasn't changed significantly including being subjected to police brutality. That's on the Democratic leadership's watch, day after day, year after year, decade after decade. People with real empathy would work to correct those things and actually solve problems. People who wish to appear to have empathy give the same lip service and prefer the status quo because it allows them to give the same lip service and maintain that status quo.

Think about it in terms of a family. Democratic leaders on the Federal, state and local level = parents. Underprivileged citizens of depressed urban areas = their children. If the parents have the financial means and the authority to direct change (Democratic leaders of urban areas do) but they allow the children to live in unsafe slums and poverty, we would call that neglect. The parents would be failing at their job to the point of being unlawful, and rightly so. Democratic leaders have failed their underprivileged constituents on a grand scale for decades for all to see.

And I actually do feel sorry for people who are stuck living in such conditions and wish that their living conditions could improve for their betterment (empathy).

Last edited by Magna on 15 Jun 2020, 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 8:57 am

it is a choice of lip service [democrats] or back of the hand [GOP]. which do you think most of the lower half would prefer?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 9:39 am

Magna wrote:
Think about it in terms of a family. Democratic leaders on the Federal, state and local level = parents. Underprivileged citizens of depressed urban areas = their children. If the parents have the financial means and the authority to direct change (Democratic leaders of urban areas do) but they allow the children to live in unsafe slums and poverty, we would call that neglect. The parents would be failing at their job to the point of being unlawful, and rightly so. Democratic leaders have failed their underprivileged constituents on a grand scale for decades for all to see.

I think that it has been too long that the underprivileged have seen the democratic leaders as parents that they have to look to beg for help, while the career politicians have done what the appearance of what they do to appeal to their base, they have been all to milk toast and willing to give ground to their opposition on the grounds of appearing to offer meeting compromise. They have forgotten that they are not parents and bosses to their people and deserve power because of the years they put in, but that the people are their bosses, and they have the power to tell the democratic leaders that they are not representing them and can kick them to the curb.

It is why you saw such strong support for Bernie Sander that not only has adapted whatever stance he has taken to whatever is popular then, but that he was principally for them for decades before they were popular, and he has been fighting for them for so long. And yet people gave into the candidate that the establishment wanted of an ex-VP of a popular president, who is functionally a lot closer to the republicans and rumours have floated that he is even considering to compromise so much that he might have conservatives in his cabinet. He is truly teetering on an edge of seeming sane to a madman who could not compromise to end fighting if it meant he might appear weak. With leaders in the Democratic party even unwilling to stand by calls such as defunding the police, that they might fail to bring change rather than compromise yet again, things could really change for it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 9:44 am

This whole "Chaz" thing is likely to blow away as easily as the "Occupy" movement (remember that?).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 9:51 am

I wouldn't want to live anywhere with crowds of people demonstrating groupthink.

I'm autistic and I prefer solitude, away from human energy.

That's nothing against their quest or ideals, but I couldn't be near that.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 9:53 am

^^ Maybe. I don't know how the winters in Seattle are since I've never been there, but I can guarantee the protests will end in Minneapolis this winter. That prediction you can take to the bank.

Last edited by Magna on 15 Jun 2020, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 9:55 am

seattle winters generally are mild compared to spokane. do get snow and ice but not that often.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2020, 10:18 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I wouldn't want to live anywhere with crowds of people demonstrating groupthink.

I'm autistic and I prefer solitude, away from human energy.

That's nothing against their quest or ideals, but I couldn't be near that.

You and me both, my dear Isabella.

BTW,
Don't accidentally walk into a room full of people tweeting.
"Groupthink" is *NOT* a pretty sight to see. :eew: