Why Do Trump Supporters Act Like His Election Is Certain?

Page 3 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 8:00 pm

Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
On the internet one always carries the odd "slur" in their armoury.
Yeah ... well ... there ought to be a "Geneva Conventions" against things like that.  I mean, it's one thing to slam another person's beliefs, opinions, and unsubstantiable "facts", but it's quite another to impunge the person.

It depends, because some people will act like describing someone as racist or homophobic or similar is insulting them when often it's merely a fair description of a person based on their openly stated beliefs and complaining about feeling insulted is a way to change the focus from whether or not the label is accurate to how the poor bigot's feelings are inflamed.

The problem is that not all people who single out one (or a group) of race(s) for better (or worse) treatment\support\services than any other would recognise the inherent racism in this stance, and so would be surprised at being legitimately defined as a racist.

Not understanding why one qualifies isn't the same as not qualifying though and generally the louder and more ferocious the backlash the more likely they've been told similar before (because the goal is to distract from the criticism instead of acknowledging it).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 12:31 am

Equally, the accusation of racism is used to put a person on the defensive to distract from having to adress an uncomfortable issue that the person may be bringing up, regardless of how valid the point being made actually is. A strong backlash may just as well be a sign that this isn't the first time the person has faced this underhanded and dishonest technique.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 2:40 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
... anencephalic ...
Evidence, please?

I suspect the term is used as a stand-in for "brainless, rather than referencing the actual condition.

If you can't see something is wrong with him, I can never show you. Go your team, whatever. And Fnord you hypocrite, all you ever do is insinuate insults, so shut up yourself with that projection nonsense.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 3:43 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
... anencephalic ...
Evidence, please?

I suspect the term is used as a stand-in for "brainless, rather than referencing the actual condition.

Asking people to vote for him in the Senate, and saying he would beat himself in the election (for example) are probably not going to put his cognitive functions in a good light, much as any "mistake" made by his opponent are jumped on by his detractors as signs of some "serious" issue.

I'd hate to think there were hypocrits here who made comments regarding the mental (or physical) health of one party, yet were complaining when it was "their" candidate subject to the same type of comments.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 4:13 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Equally, the accusation of racism is used to put a person on the defensive to distract from having to adress an uncomfortable issue that the person may be bringing up, regardless of how valid the point being made actually is. A strong backlash may just as well be a sign that this isn't the first time the person has faced this underhanded and dishonest technique.

The race card is so common that it is "Dog-eared". :wink:
Most people, these days, can see how it is used as emotional blackmail. 8)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 4:15 am

Pepe wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Invalidating claims of racism is a common response when one knows they can't refute them. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 4:18 am

The claim is invalid by default, and without substantiation it's little more than name-calling and moral posturing.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 4:19 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
The claim is invalid by default, and without substantiation it's little more than name-calling and moral posturing.

Go on, I'm sure you can support this idea.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 4:28 am

Simple. Asserted without evidence, dismissed without evidence. Onus of proof lies with the positive. "You are X" is a positive claim, thus requiring positive evidence.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 4:41 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

The burden of proof is on the accuser to substantiate a claim such as this, not on the defendant to refute a baseless claim.

Without the inclusion of evidence\reasoning to substantiate the claim, it is simply a personal attack designed to silence a person\opinion which the accuser does not like, an act which I believe is not appreciated on this site.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 4:57 am

Brictoria wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
... anencephalic ...
Evidence, please?

Asking people to vote for him in the Senate, and saying he would beat himself in the election (for example) are probably not going to put his cognitive functions in a good light, much as any "mistake" made by his opponent are jumped on by his detractors as signs of some "serious" issue.

I'd hate to think there were hypocrits here who made comments regarding the mental (or physical) health of one party, yet were complaining when it was "their" candidate subject to the same type of comments.

Do people even take seriously hypocrisy from certain quarters, anymore?
Isn't it done so often it has no meaning?
Some people don't understand the value of "Credibility Coinage".
If you agree,
Say "CC". :mrgreen:

Those who engage in pathological hypocrisy simply destroy their credibility. <shrug>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 5:01 am

Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

The burden of proof is on the accuser to substantiate a claim such as this, not on the defendant to refute a baseless claim.

Without the inclusion of evidence\reasoning to substantiate the claim, it is simply a personal attack designed to silence a person\opinion which the accuser does not like, an act which I believe is not appreciated on this site.

Good grief!
I didn't know we now have a lawyer on the side of: "Truth, Justice, and all that stuff". :mrgreen:

Wolfram87 wrote:
Simple. Asserted without evidence, dismissed without evidence. Onus of proof lies with the positive. "You are X" is a positive claim, thus requiring positive evidence.

And another gifted orator!
We are steeped in intellectual brilliance! 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 5:11 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Invalidating claims of racism is a common response when one knows they can't refute them. :wink:

Erm,
I am saying that people use the "Race Card" as an Emotional Blackmail device.
A tool to derail an intellectual debate, based on objectivity, reason and factual, errr, facts.

So you have never seen this in action? :scratch:
Huh.
Maybe it only happens in Australia. :chin:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 6:09 am

all that distracting away from the medico-philanthropical powers?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 8:35 am

June 22
Pollster Who Got It Right in 2016: Michigan a Dead Heat
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/artic ... 43512.html

What does Biden offer the rust belt states?

(Legalized) Illegal immigrants to compete with?
Higher taxes?
More foreign competition from free trade deals?
Reduction of their "cadillac health care" benefits (like Obama)?

Won't the rust belt states lean towards TRUMP?

Be the hero of your life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 9:06 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
... anencephalic ...
Evidence, please?
If you can't see something is wrong with him, I can never show you. Go your team, whatever. And Fnord you hypocrite, all you ever do is insinuate insults, so shut up yourself with that projection nonsense.
Ooo ... there is a bully on the playground!  Let us all tremble in fear...

:roll: ... no, let's not, and just say we did.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.