Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:35 am

auntblabby wrote:
that is why i thank god for my hobbies. it ain't savin' this thumpin' bumpin' world, i agree- but it IS savin' MY thumpin' bumpin' mental world.

At some point, I think I may get back to painting model helicopters.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:35 am

voting is just a way to vent one's ill humors, in the absence of decent human beings to vote for. one is basically choosing the lesser of two evils and by rejecting the greater of two evils, fooling oneself into believing that one has some positive effect on this world, to counteract evil.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:36 am

my hobby of audio restoration is time-consuming and taxes enough of my gray matter that i am totally distracted from anything else, and the hands of the clock just spin and spin and i don't notice 'em spinning until several cycles of dark and light have occurred.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:37 am

auntblabby wrote:
voting is just a way to vent one's ill humors, in the absence of decent human beings to vote for. one is basically choosing the lesser of two evils and by rejecting the greater of two evils, fooling oneself into believing that one has some positive effect on this world, to counteract evil.

Pretty much. Nice if it actually mattered, and the choices weren't just like a beauty pageant for turds.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
my hobby of audio restoration is time-consuming and taxes enough of my gray matter that i am totally distracted from anything else, and the hands of the clock just spin and spin and i don't notice 'em spinning until several cycles of dark and light have occurred.

Is that working with software on like converting audio cassettes to digital or something more like fixing stereo systems?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:39 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Pretty much. Nice if it actually mattered, and the choices weren't just like a beauty pageant for turds.

still it needs to be said, that if one didn't have at least this psychic outlet, life would be that much harder.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:41 am

auntblabby wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

still it needs to be said, that if one didn't have at least this psychic outlet, life would be that much harder.

I suppose, a semblance of control vs it obviously lacking.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:42 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Is that working with software on like converting audio cassettes to digital or something more like fixing stereo systems?

the former, from analog sources in general [cassettes/open reel, phonograph records, wire recordings, optical film soundtracks] digitized as i work exclusively in the digital domain. if i had a LOT more space and a LOT more $$$$$$, i'd do some analog portion of the restoration process as well. the pros make a LOT of moolah [in hollywood/LA and new york, the big centers for such] doing all that. anyways, it is more than just digitizing but fixing audible problems [noise/distortion/drop-outs et al].

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:43 am

so as bad as this place is compared to the rest of the west, china/NK are still immeasurably worse.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

the former, from analog sources in general [cassettes/open reel, phonograph records, wire recordings, optical film soundtracks] digitized as i work exclusively in the digital domain. if i had a LOT more space and a LOT more $$$$$$, i'd do some analog portion of the restoration process as well. the pros make a LOT of moolah [in hollywood/LA and new york, the big centers for such] doing all that. anyways, it is more than just digitizing but fixing audible problems [noise/distortion/drop-outs et al].

Huh, that sounds fascinating. Must be an interesting algorithm used to select probable information vs noise also.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:47 am

auntblabby wrote:
so as bad as this place is compared to the rest of the west, china/NK are still immeasurably worse.

Oh, yeah, no doubt. Still, would be nice if things could actually be improved in some manner. Sitting in boiling water is still bad even if swimming in lava is worse.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:51 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Huh, that sounds fascinating. Must be an interesting algorithm used to select probable information vs noise also.

there are semi-automated processes [sonic solutions' "NONOISE" was the first way back in '87] that greatly simplify the task at least compared to the old analog methods], but to badly mix some metaphors, they are akin to tools in a woodworker's tool chest that the toolworker decides which to use on which task. there are dehissers/broadband denoisers that require configuration per a particular soundfile, same for declickers/decracklers, spectral editors for the tough cases. one IDs by ear the problem, and then decides which tool to use and how to use it. but nothing is really fully automatic just as there are no automatic hammers or screwdrivers for the aforementioned woodworker. i hope that ramble made sense. :jester:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:52 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Oh, yeah, no doubt. Still, would be nice if things could actually be improved in some manner. Sitting in boiling water is still bad even if swimming in lava is worse.

a nation's people have to do the improving first, then the politics will follow. spiritual leads eventually to the physical.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:54 am

I had time to fix stuff this weekend. I thought my computer broke but it was just a bad mouse button, so I just needed to swap mice. That was easy!

I fixed a broken ABS camshaft. I don't have much luck gluing plastic. I made a threaded rod out of a brass screw by filing off the head. I threaded both halves of the camshaft with a 2-56 tap, after drilling holes in both pieces with a lathe. I may not even need glue. I hand tightened the pieces together and they locked into place.

Last edited by BTDT on 22 Jun 2020, 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:55 am

^^^that's pretty impressive at least in comparison to my fairly pedestrian [?] experience replacing a busted toilet seat which slid me sideways and unceremoniously dumped me tuchas onto the bathroom floor [ouch]. :oops:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 3:56 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
The only viable option is to learn to sit back and laugh at the absurdity of it all, then focus on the things you can actually meaningfully influence.

Sadly, voting is like using an eyedropper to raise the level of oceans, and endless debates are always in circles of doom, so it really just leads to ever more depression of futility IMO. It doesn't seem like there really is any meaningful way to do anything ultimately, just a handful of ways to do a who shipload of nothing.

While you should vote (out of principle if nothing else), I was talking more about the things in your immediate surroundings. The hobby thing is a good idea.