Rant: I firmly condemn BLM and its actions!

Page 8 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 10:04 pm

Greatshield17 wrote:
Are you still here or have you left this thread?

Still here

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2020, 10:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I think nobody is asking you to stop your beliefs. However, please at least take responsibility for starting this thread with an attack on native americans whom you condemned.

I am not condemning the Indigenous of California, I'm condemning the individuals who perpetrated the acts mentioned in this thread's opening post.

The first step towards letting a wound heal is removing the debris. That's what they did, they cleansed a long-standing wound in hopes of allowing it to heal.

This isn't something you should condemn, if your god is real he can make your saint's soul feel better about this blow to his pride; who knows, maybe he's already come to understand it needed to happen and enabled it. He's got powers like that, or so I've heard.

This is not the "cleansing of a wound," it is the opening of a new wound; and it's not a wound against Saint Junipero Serra, who is enjoying everlasting life in Heaven, it is a wound against the Mystical Body of Christ, a wound against all Catholics. There are now Catholics preparing to suffer, die, and even fight for the Faith, (and rightly so as, like I said before, there have been calls attack statues and icons of Jesus and Mary because some are portrayed as European, and there have also been other calls to protest churches; and at St. Louis, Missouri, Catholics at a Rosary Rally were assaulted.) for many of these Catholics, not all, but a significant portion, when they look at an indigenous Californian who genuinely believes that St. Junipero Serra was "genocidal," all they see is just another person who hates the Catholic Church and hates God and wants to see their own parish burned down; just yesterday I came across a video in which a guy lumped together all Native American spirituality with the Aztec religion. I do not condone any of this, but I think you should ask yourself if the actions of those mobs did any favours for the indigenous peoples of California?

Were the mobs made up of the indigenous peoples of California?
If so, yes they did themselves a favour. They removed the debris

So you're going to lump all the indigenous peoples in with that mob?

I'm not insisting on lumping all of us together, but I would hope that all of us would support us.

Well, I'm afraid this action wasn't very supportive of the indigenous peoples of California if you really examine it closely. Firstly, one needs ask oneself whether smashing a statue or image of someone for that person's real or alleged offences really gives oneself any benefit? If I were able to smash a statue of Bloody Elizabeth, Plutarco Calles, Robespierre, Napoleon Bonaparte, or any other persecutor or enemy of the Church, would it really do me any good? You may be thinking, "well you're on here telling people off, so it's kind of the same thing; an expression of anger," but actually it's quite different. I knew full well, that I was going to receive flack for posting this, but I posted this anyway and willfully took the flack. There is much more meaning and benefit in me suffering for this post, (even if I haven't handled this as well as I would have liked to) than the meaningless pleasure those people took in toppling those statues of St. Junipero Serra. I have benefitted from this post to some degree, the people who tore down those statues didn't, in fact, as I mentioned above, they made things worse.

The actions perpetrated by those people has confirmed or reinforced in the minds of a significant portion of Catholics, that indigenous culture is nothing more than an anti-Christian political tool. You're going to have a lot of Catholics taking-up and doubling-down on a lot of the anti-indigenous rhetoric I'm sure you've heard out there; all indigenous peoples are Aztecs; if it wasn't for colonization, the indigenous peoples would still be living in mud-huts and would never have access to modern medicine; the indigenous peoples are ungrateful to Columbus for bringing "western civilization" to them; and so-on, so-forth. Again, I don't in anyway condone this, in fact I get really irritated with how people conflate colonization with evangelization, as though the only way to bring the Faith to the various indigenous peoples of the world was to take their lands. (If that's the case, then something most have gone really awry with the evangelization of my ancestors, the Basque peoples! Not only were their lands never taken-over by other Catholics nations, but they themselves actually ended up establishing their own independent Kingdom, the Kingdom of Navarre; truly, an aberration in reality!) But the cold hard fact is, it doesn't matter how I or you wish the situation would turn-out, the fact is, the tearing-down of those statues isn't going help the indigenous peoples of California; it's going to result in most Catholics (let alone, various other peoples) viewing them as just people who hate them and are hostile to what they hold dear.

Considering it was Catholics who initiated conflict between us and them, it will be up to Catholics to disengage and prove they no longer wish to impose themselves upon us with hostility.

Considering the people who engaged in these acts and supported them were likely at least nominally Catholic themselves, blaming it on a shallow hatred of Catholics is just a dishonest dodge that allows you to avoid considering if the church or this particular man did in fact commit moral transgressions against them. If you won't even consider that there's some validity to our perspectives it's hard to not dismiss your hostility as racism. You don't even have to agree after you've considered them, but just try to imagine the situation reversed.

First of all, just because I don't accept this allegation, doesn't mean I don't recognize other atrocities that were committed by individuals inside the Church. (The sex abuse scandal being a prime example of course) Secondly, I do and have indeed recognized that there were actions committed St. Junipero Serra and his Missions that weren't ideal. (twice in fact, in regards to corporal punishment, this is my third time acknowledging this) Thirdly, I do emphasize with the perceived grievances of the indigenous peoples, my problem, as I mentioned in my originally post, is that the actions committed, were done in a violent and extrajudicial manner. If the statues were civilly removed by the authorities, I would disagree with it and feel anger, but I would've respected the civility of such actions and have not spoken-up.

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

WP is the 2nd worst forum site I have ever been on.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 10:28 pm

Greatshield17 wrote:
First of all, just because I don't accept this allegation, doesn't mean I don't recognize other atrocities that were committed by individuals inside the Church. (The sex abuse scandal being a prime example of course) Secondly, I do and have indeed recognized that there were actions committed St. Junipero Serra and his Missions that weren't ideal. (twice in fact, in regards to corporal punishment, this is my third time acknowledging this) Thirdly, I do emphasize with the perceived grievances of the indigenous peoples, my problem, as I mentioned in my originally post, is that the actions committed, were done in a violent and extrajudicial manner. If the statues were civilly removed by the authorities, I would disagree with it and feel anger, but I would've respected the civility of such actions and have not spoken-up.

Good, I think you are on the right track now in appropriately responding to the events you initially reacted emotionally to.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2020, 10:36 pm

I am curious Greatshield, what would be your opinion if there were literally statues to the devil up that displayed how good of a guy he was? Would you understand why people with your faith might feel compelled to tear them down?

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2020, 11:17 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
I am curious Greatshield, what would be your opinion if there were literally statues to the devil up that displayed how good of a guy he was? Would you understand why people with your faith might feel compelled to tear them down?

We'd show up with Rosaries and banners and icons of Our Lady and St. Michael and pray for the conversion of the people.

Also:
Greatshield17 wrote:
Firstly, one needs ask oneself whether smashing a statue or image of someone for that person's real or alleged offences really gives oneself any benefit? If I were able to smash a statue of Bloody Elizabeth, Plutarco Calles, Robespierre, Napoleon Bonaparte, or any other persecutor or enemy of the Church, would it really do me any good?

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jul 2020, 12:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
Are you still here or have you left this thread?

Still here

Alright, I'll start my response to the article in question, in chronological order; however I'll save the presidios for last, as I think it'll be the biggest topic that'll be discussed here.

Quote:
Andrade, a Luiseño, said Serra “decimated 90% of the Indian population”.

There are no records of any of the friars carrying any of the diseases responsible for the deaths of the indigenous peoples. The diseases either came from the presidios, or from the elsewhere; it's a well-known fact that diseases like smallpox, will often reach and decimate indigenous populations long before the first Europeans ever set foot there.

Quote:
Many tribes, including the Luiseños, Juaneño and Gabrielino-Tongva, survived the mission era through partial integration with each other and Spanish culture, but others fled inland or lost their culture completely, Andrade said.

Quote:
n his desire to produce results for Spain he “laid the groundwork to erase our cultures and impose this burden of shame on Indians about being Indian”.

In addition to the fact that in the early Missions, St. Junipero and his friars didn't translate the Faith in the native languages due to various difficulties, it's also important to keep in mind when this is all taking place. The arrival of Spaniards in Alta California occurred in the aftermath of the Bourbon Reforms, I can't remember everything about the Bourbon Reforms, but I do know that it was the Bourbon Reforms that caused Tupac Amaru II to stage his rebellion down Peru. I also know that, prior to the Bourbon Reforms, the indigenous peoples of Latin America lived under something called the [i]Republica de los Indios
, (The "Republic of the Indians") in was a system that allowed the indigenous peoples to be practically autonomous in the way they ran their affairs, politically. So thus, it can be reasonably concluded that the time that St. Junipero was living in, was a time when the indigenous peoples of Latin America had lost a lot of their rights and autonomy; this is probably an over-simplification, but I think a lot of people lost their rights and autonomy during the Bourbon Reforms, the Bourbon Reforms centralized the Empire and paved the way for Enlightened Despotism in Spain.

I'll continue with the rest of the article tomorrow, it's getting late here.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 12:44 am

Most of the academics are sympathetic to Serra and other missionaries. The missions did infact provide refuge, food, medicine and shelter for the native peoples who had nowhere to live because of disease, abduction and rape by Spanish soldiers and Spanish settlers who saw them as inferior.

The ancestors of almost all of the mesitzo population in Latin America owe their lives to catholic priests who through conversion to Catholicism and education in Spanish language protected them from excessive exploitation and genocide.

However, for modern native Americans the perception of priests were also that they were agents of genocide who worked with the Spanish crown. No amount of prayer or preaching will change their attitude about cultural genocide.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 2:15 am

Greatshield17 wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

We'd show up with Rosaries and banners and icons of Our Lady and St. Michael and pray for the conversion of the people.

And what if doing that had no impact? More people would pass by and think that Satan is a cool dude, and maybe he has a pretty good reason for why he did what he had done. At this point in time this statue of Satan is being considered a part culture. And people are actually getting annoyed that people keep saying bad things about him.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 2:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
The ancestors of almost all of the mesitzo population in Latin America owe their lives to catholic priests who through conversion to Catholicism and education in Spanish language protected them from excessive exploitation and genocide.

thanks, i needed a laugh today

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 4:35 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

thanks, i needed a laugh today

Reminds me that hell is paved with good intentions

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 5:00 am

Activist calls for white Jesus statues to be taken down.

Be the hero of your life.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 11:48 am

Greatshield17 wrote:

Interesting; A Painting Expresses (Exposes) So Much More Than Words Alone.
'Here' We Have A Portrait of So-Called Mary; God Yes, So-Called Mother of Jesus; So
European, Fair And Estrogen Dripping Lovely; in Other Words, Epitome of Womanly Fertility;
Fully Equipped, Ready to Nurture LoVE iN All Her Children; Sending Them Out Into the World
to Cooperate In Kindness; WoRKinG ToGeTHeR, Surviving, Thriving, With Helping Hands Of Love
And My God
in 'Pure Evil'
The Artist
Has turned
Another Truly
Lovely Mother of Love
Into A Fire Breathing Dragon;
'Jesus F in Christ' What A 'HeLLuVA Statue'
'Here', Slaying All Her Enemies Into A Tortuous
Hell of Death Forever Then That only A True Sadist,
Psychopathic, With No Human Feelings at All could ever Fathom
Doing to Another Human Being; Where Vengeance Becomes
The Only Blood of Fear and Hate; And the Blood Of Love Is
Dead of Real Victory; The Blood
Of Love
Is Dead
Forevermore
NoW iN Fear And Hate...
It'S UNderStandable MaKinG
A Symbol Like 'Trump' into A God
of Fear And Hate; but i'm Sorry This
Painting IS ALL A Lie for A Woman Fair
As this Would Never Become the Devil
Incarnate Or Any Son Raised With The Spirit of Love;
What God, Do You Love;
What God, Do You Love;
What God, Do You Love;
Do You See
the Problem
With Answering
This Rhetorical Question
For Real With A God That is
Only A Dragon With A Serpent
Fire Destroying All That is Great, Life As LOVE;
ONCE AGAIN, MY FRiEND, LOVE CLASS: LOVE NEVER
FORCES WORSHIP; LOVE ALWAYS FORGIVES AS THE
LAST CHANCE IS ALWAYS FIRST; LOVE BREATHeS ETeRNaLLY NoW
OR LOVE DOES NOT;
THere is No Love
In 'This Painting';
Only Vengeance
oF Fear And
Hate;
The Artist
Killed The God
Of Love No Different
Than Parts of Both
The Old Testament;
Yes, That Older Newer Testament too;
Guess What, Love Still Breathes; It'S HEaVeN
Now But Only When Real, When Living Within
To Give And Share Free to All With Least Harm to Breathe;
Do You See the Problem Here; Your Mistake is Believing Everything
Folks Tell You Is True; You have Yet to Discern Breath, Love Eternal Now
or Death Living Now Forever; This Painting Tells A Story of A God You BeLiEVE iN Most;
Hint:
IT Ain't Love Related;
It's More Like What You
Find In a Stephen King Movie In the Gutter;
Love Is the Child Who Always Forgives; Love
Is the Child Who Always Loves; When God
Does NOT Meet The Standard of the Love
Of A Child, God Is No Greater Than
Living Dead; Zombie
Apocalypse Real
For Living
Dead
Eternally Now
in Fear And Hate
to Harm Others Away From Love.

But You See my FRiEnD; i See ReaLiTY
Through The Eyes of Love; If God
Is Love So Are My Eyes;
What Eyes Do
You Want
to See Reality As;
Eternal Torturing Enemies;
Or Eternal Loving Enemies;
Which So-Called 'JeSuS' Do You BeLiVE iN NoW And Forever;
Or Are You Too Weak of Love to Love An Enemy Forever Now;
If so, THere iS At Least One JeSuS in 'The Story' YOU DO NOT BELIEVE iN.
CLUE:
THeRE IS A GOOD
COP AND BAD COP
JeSuS IN THE BIBLE;
Both Characters Are Written
in by Innumerable Ghost Authors;
Some of those Ghost Authors And
Or Editors 'Smell' More Like 'Trump';
I. E. STiNK, STaNK, STuNK, FeaR HaTE;
Most all of us have a potential
to BE Either Cop; Choose the
Good Cop Forever Now; If You Will And You Do; Then,
Your Life Will Be Light Over Darkness, Smelling More Like Heaven.

Nothing Personal: Just Reviewing 'Your Painting'.

Have A Nice Day; Smell A Flower; BE A Real Man
And Wear FLoWeRS More Than THoRNS If You Rise As Rose;

Any Being That Will Send Any Being
To Eternal Torture Is THE REAL DEVIL;
i Understand the Ignorance and Even Have Sympathy For 'Trumps';
Hehe; Perhaps i am A Bringer oF LiGHT; Perhaps i Am A 'Statue too'..;)

Would Explain
My Birthday on 6660,
If You BeLiVE iN Karma..;)

OnlY A ReaL DeViL
And Angel Sees Both Sides of (JaNuS)

JusT ANoTHeR HuMaN ArcHeType; 'They' End,
'They' STaRT; We CoME AgAiNoW aS LoVE AGaiN

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 8:44 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Activist calls for white Jesus statues to be taken down.[/img]

Here we go! somebody better find a vaccine soon as cabin fever is beginning to strike, a lot of bored folks out there.

TuskenR
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2020, 8:54 pm

cyberdad wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Activist calls for white Jesus statues to be taken down.[/img]

Here we go! somebody better find a vaccine soon as cabin fever is beginning to strike, a lot of bored folks out there.

I prefer Street Jesus to white Jesus

Turn into doubts

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 9:01 pm

The Mediterranean jesus is likely the most accurate. Like the dudes you see in pizza shops.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2020, 9:10 pm

Greatshield17 wrote:
...my problem, as I mentioned in my originally post, is that the actions committed, were done in a violent and extrajudicial manner. If the statues were civilly removed by the authorities, I would disagree with it and feel anger, but I would've respected the civility of such actions and have not spoken-up.

It would be preferable for things to not reach this point, but just like with statues of Confederate heroes the grievance has existed for generations but when it's raised the concern is ignored.

How long would you be polite and wait for me to act voluntarily, or wait for help to arrive if I stuck my finger in your eye? Even if at first you were willing to be polite at some point you're going to slap my hand away and say 'keep your finger out of my eye'. If I use that action to start complaining how rude or violent you were I'm missing the point. Maybe you shouldn't have slapped my hand, but regardless I was in the wrong.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う