Bartender explains why he swiftly kicks out Nazis

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,519
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

17 Jul 2020, 3:57 am

Excellent reason:

https://www.upworthy.com/bartender-expl ... ing-anyone

I can relate - not the the exact same magnitude, but, I bartended for several years and worked at pubs with “No colours,” dress code policies - meaning no biker gangs/hell’s angels allowed to enter. They don’t exactly have Nazi ideologies, but it’s to prevent the same thing from happening - because that’s what happens to bars when certain crowds form. So, either you’re that kind of place and accept the problems that come with it, or you’re not.

I also worked at a bar that was a HA/gangster hangout.. witnessed plenty of bad fights, only myself and the bar owners daughter were allowed to know the recipe for and make a certain full patch members’ drink, several of the regular customers from that place died in drug gang shootings etc. So this article is not far off the mark At All (If any?) about the realities of what happens when certain segments of society congregate at some nightlife spot & IMO its pretty awesome of The bartender in the story to do what he does. 8)


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,319
Location: Long Island, New York

17 Jul 2020, 4:40 am

In America while Nazis have a right to right to free speech, they don't have a right to be employed by you or hired by you, or be on your website. I agree with both propositions. My issue is that people have taken liberties with their right to associate with whom they want to ban everybody who disagrees with them and to claim that those who disagree with them have no free speech rights. In the America of 2020 too often this means that anybody that disagrees with you is either an Antifa communist or a Nazi. This defeats the purpose of the right to free speech which is to allow new and unconventional ideas the opportunity to get a hearing.

Free speech and democracy does come with the inherent opening for bad actors to take advantage. There is always going to be two conflicting valid arguments. One argument says the best way to keep fringe bad actors from gaining power is to ignore them, do not give the attention seekers attention, the other side will retort that did not work out so well for the Jews in Nazi Germany did it, thus anything that remotely has the potential to get Nazis in power must be stamped out immediately and stamped out by any means necessary and beyond. It is situational and always a fraught judgment.

There is a saying "the price of freedom". That price usually refers to soldiers dying in war. The price also involves giving voice to people that want to destroy freedom.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,191
Location: Poland

17 Jul 2020, 4:50 am

But I remember a WP thread on some California bar that banned gangsta-style clients after 10 p.m., they got sh1tload of racism accusations.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.
***** ***


Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,797
Location: Melbourne, Australia

17 Jul 2020, 5:36 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Excellent reason:

https://www.upworthy.com/bartender-expl ... ing-anyone

I can relate - not the the exact same magnitude, but, I bartended for several years and worked at pubs with “No colours,” dress code policies - meaning no biker gangs/hell’s angels allowed to enter. They don’t exactly have Nazi ideologies, but it’s to prevent the same thing from happening - because that’s what happens to bars when certain crowds form. So, either you’re that kind of place and accept the problems that come with it, or you’re not.

I also worked at a bar that was a HA/gangster hangout.. witnessed plenty of bad fights, only myself and the bar owners daughter were allowed to know the recipe for and make a certain full patch members’ drink, several of the regular customers from that place died in drug gang shootings etc. So this article is not far off the mark At All (If any?) about the realities of what happens when certain segments of society congregate at some nightlife spot & IMO its pretty awesome of The bartender in the story to do what he does. 8)


Reading the start of that article, it puts me in mind of a thread which was locked here for inciting violence...

Ignoring that minor detail: There can't be many Nazi's around, being that it is 75 years since WW2 ended...


_________________
Quote:
"When people express opinions that differ from yours, take it as a chance to grow. Seek to understand over being understood. Be curious, not defensive. The only way to disarm another human being is by listening." - Glennon Doyle Melton

Quote:
“Indeed, you won the elections, but I won the count.” - Anastasio Somoz


TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,356
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

17 Jul 2020, 5:54 am

This is analogous to what happens to gay people.

A bartender doesn't want his bar becoming a "gay bar", so he kicks gay people out.


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,191
Location: Poland

17 Jul 2020, 6:10 am

Nazi insignia are illegal in my part of the world but even without it, I find it weird that anyone wants to identify with them today. What the ones who wear them mean? That it was okay to start a war that killed tens of millions?


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.
***** ***


TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,356
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

17 Jul 2020, 6:40 am

magz wrote:
Nazi insignia are illegal in my part of the world but even without it, I find it weird that anyone wants to identify with them today. What the ones who wear them mean? That it was okay to start a war that killed tens of millions?

In the US, we're taught to be proud of our wars.

I would think that is true everywhere.


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,567
Location: Queens, NYC

17 Jul 2020, 6:57 am

The fact is that the US didn’t start World War 2 like the Nazis did.

We are justly proud of our victory in that war—our last real “victory.”



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,191
Location: Poland

17 Jul 2020, 6:59 am

So, you think if Americans did the Holocaust, you would be proud of it? Because of the "being proud of your wars" thing?


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.
***** ***


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,567
Location: Queens, NYC

17 Jul 2020, 7:46 am

We certainly weren’t proud of our involvement in wars after World War 2.



The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,391
Location: Reading, England

17 Jul 2020, 7:49 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
magz wrote:
Nazi insignia are illegal in my part of the world but even without it, I find it weird that anyone wants to identify with them today. What the ones who wear them mean? That it was okay to start a war that killed tens of millions?

In the US, we're taught to be proud of our wars.

I would think that is true everywhere.

It isn’t remotely true. The Germans and Japanese live with a deep sense of shame over the war.

For one thing I don’t think Americans are very proud of Vietnam, because you lost. Losers don’t feel pride. But they also know that they were morally in the wrong.

In any case, it doesn’t explain why there are so many Nazis in America.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,519
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

17 Jul 2020, 11:40 am

magz wrote:
So, you think if Americans did the Holocaust, you would be proud of it? Because of the "being proud of your wars" thing?


They’re pretty proud of the whole European settlers arriving and murdering nearly 100,000,000 Indigenous people. They celebrate it every year by eating a big deep fried turkey dinner and watching American football on TV.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,519
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

17 Jul 2020, 11:42 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
This is analogous to what happens to gay people.

A bartender doesn't want his bar becoming a "gay bar", so he kicks gay people out.


Yeah, totally the same except not at all.

One is keeping people out who have a penchant for hate and violence. The other is just homophobic.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,519
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

17 Jul 2020, 11:44 am

The_Walrus wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
magz wrote:
Nazi insignia are illegal in my part of the world but even without it, I find it weird that anyone wants to identify with them today. What the ones who wear them mean? That it was okay to start a war that killed tens of millions?

In the US, we're taught to be proud of our wars.

I would think that is true everywhere.

It isn’t remotely true. The Germans and Japanese live with a deep sense of shame over the war.

For one thing I don’t think Americans are very proud of Vietnam, because you lost. Losers don’t feel pride. But they also know that they were morally in the wrong.

In any case, it doesn’t explain why there are so many Nazis in America.


Operation Paper Clip could have had something to do with it.

Or maybe it’s just the American propensity to side with rebels & be rebellious? Ie the confederate flag flying crowd that Also supports a losing army that the USA defeated.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,567
Location: Queens, NYC

17 Jul 2020, 12:18 pm

Thanksgiving has to do with the indigenous people helping the European people when they couldn’t grow their crops.

Unfortunately, the Europeans weren’t grateful to the Native Americans—to say the least.

But please do not distort the meaning of Thanksgiving. Very few people actually “deep fry” turkey.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,694
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

17 Jul 2020, 12:26 pm

It sounds like a wise policy. Alberta doesn't allow one to bring rats into the province under similar logic.


_________________
Imagine this post narrated in the voice of Gilbert Gottfried