Too busy playing golf to quit

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 2:11 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Pepe wrote:
In most things, these days,
I'm tired of being jerked around by rumours created by every man and his dog. :roll:

BTW,
Have you heard?
Some are suggesting Hillary is going to make a last-minute bid to be a contender, for the Presidential election. :mrgreen:

Woo-hoo! Female President!! !

Not this year I'm afraid

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 2:43 am

Whoa, deja vu.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 8:07 am

I still don’t think so, but Goldfish may be on to something. Fox news is talking about it.
Rough polling stretch has GOP operatives asking: Could Trump drop out?

Quote:
A stretch of lackluster polling for President Trump has some Republican operatives nervous about the president’s reelection prospects in November – with some even floating the possibility for the first time that Trump could drop out if his poll numbers don’t rebound.

“It’s too early, but if the polls continue to worsen, you can see a scenario where he drops out,” one GOP operative who asked to remain anonymous told Fox News.

“I’ve heard the talk but I doubt it’s true,” another said. “My bet is, he drops if he believes there’s no way to win.”
[i]
” GOP operatives are for the first time raising the possibility that @realDonaldTrump could drop out of the race if his poll numbers don’t rebound. Over the weekend I spoke to a sample of major players; one described Trumps current psyche as “fragile.” I’m

Charles Gasparino

@CGasparino
not convinced yet; he’s got time and he’s running against an opponent who is literally hiding in his basement. Plus the public isn’t focusing yet on just how left wing @JoeBiden has become, so much so, he can bring himself to denounce rioting.

Charles Gasparino

@CGasparino
That said the speculation indicates how tense GOP operatives are about Trump losing and the party losing the senate and having their entire agenda abolished in a leftist wave election. Again lots of time and Trump has endured a horrible couple of months but that’s the snap shop.”

Trump’s poll numbers in recent weeks have trended downward amid criticism over his administration’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic and the White House's response to the protests and riots following the death of George Floyd in late May while in Minneapolis police custody.

A recent Fox News poll had the president trailing Democrat Joe Biden by 12 points, while a RealClearPolitics average of polls had Trump down almost 10 points to the former vice president. Biden also was leading Trump in many key battleground states, and polls from Republican strongholds such as Texas had Trump and Biden neck and neck.

Polls in the past, however, have been way off the mark.

In 2016, Trump trailed Hillary Clinton in almost all the polls leading up to the general election before pulling off his surprise win. The president also already has weathered numerous controversies during his term in office and came away largely unscathed, at least among his base of supporters, according to analysts.

The Trump campaign adamantly denied that the president would drop out of the race and criticized polling for allegedly undersampling Republican voters.

“This is the granddaddy of fake news,” Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh told Fox News. “Everyone knows that media polling has always been wrong about President Trump –­ they undersample Republicans and don’t screen for likely voters –­ in order to set false narratives. It won’t work. There was similar fretting in 2016 and if it had been accurate, Hillary Clinton would be in the White House right now.”

After the latest spate of polls, his campaign released a memo on Sunday essentially refuting the claims that the president’s reelection chances were in trouble. The campaign cited polling that showed a lack of enthusiasm for Biden, especially in key battleground states, and called into question the methodology used in major polls.

“As was the case in 2016, the mainstream news media is relying on polling financed by their own operations and others, released publicly in order to set a narrative that conforms with their own worldviews,” the campaign stated. “The president’s campaign has repeatedly called into question the validity of such polling, based on methodology, party representation in the sample, wording of questions, and other factors.”

It continued: “These are legitimate criticisms, as there are real differences between public polling and proprietary internal polling such as the campaign conducts for itself.”

With the 2020 general election still more than four months away, GOP insiders and Trump campaign staff have been aiming to turn the streak of bad publicity.

The Trump campaign recently has tried to lure Biden back on the campaign trail in the hopes that he will make gaffes on the stump. They also were slamming Biden as “soft” on China, questioning his mental acuity and saying he’d be beholden to the left of his party if he were to win the White House.

“Joe Biden is the weakest Democrat candidate in a generation and we are defining him that way,” Murtaugh said. “By contrast, President Trump built the best economy in the world before the global pandemic interrupted it and he’s doing it a second time. Joe Biden would be a disaster economically and would raise taxes and impose crushing Green New Deal regulations on job creators.”

He added: “We are four months from Election Day, and in the end, it will be a clear choice between President Trump’s incredible record of achievement and Joe Biden’s half-century of failure in Washington, D.C.”

The string of polls came on the heels of Trump’s rally last weekend in Tulsa, Okla. – the president’s first rally since the coronavirus shut down much of the country three months ago.

Longtime Republican strategist Colin Reed told Fox News, “You can dismiss one poll, but this is pretty consistent across the board.”

He also noted, “One of Donald Trump’s biggest political liabilities right now used to be one of his greatest strengths – his ability to dominate news cycles and headlines.”

Reed noted that “for Trump to turn this around, he just needs to successfully prosecute Joe Biden’s four-and-a-half decades in elected office. If this election’s a choice between Joe Biden and Donald Trump, there’s a long way to go until November. If it’s a referendum on Donald Trump, Joe Biden’s looking like he’s in a pretty good spot.”

David Tamasi, an influential D.C.-based lobbyist and GOP donor who’s raised money for the president, told Fox News, however, that a lot could change between now and Elections Day. “On the money side, I haven’t seen any dropoff. If the election were held today, I think it would certainly be a lot closer than what the public polls say right now,” he said.

And, pointing to the calendar, he emphasized, “We have a long way to go. I’m not overly concerned at this point where things are.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 8:12 am

He won't drop out,remember he was an underdog in 2016 and Biden is to weak a candidate and there is to much time left for Biden to self destruct.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 8:16 am

jebus on a STICK, people! there is FOUR BLINKIN' MONTHS TO GO! still! a LOT can happen in 4 months! for the love of christ, STOP BEING SO GD OPTIMISTIC!! you KNOW what happened last time we thought we were winning. please let us not jinx this again!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 8:17 am

vermontsavant wrote:
He won't drop out,remember he was an underdog in 2016 and Biden is to weak a candidate and there is to much time left for Biden to self destruct.

I'm not an America.
I'm just a little tired of all the biatching about Trump all the time.

Surprisingly,
I'm pretty much over this crap. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 8:18 am

auntblabby wrote:
jebus on a STICK, people! there is FOUR BLINKIN' MONTHS TO GO! still! a LOT can happen in 4 months! for the love of christ, STOP BEING SO GD OPTIMISTIC!! you KNOW what happened last time we thought we were winning. please let us not jinx this again!

You can't jinx it.
You just have to vote and get all your mates to vote too. :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 8:21 am

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

You can't jinx it.
You just have to vote and get all your mates to vote too. :wink:

the bible belt [midwest and southeast] will undoubtedly make it as hard as possible [with widespread poll closures in POC/working class areas] for regular folk to vote. the GOP will throw everything at us and then invent new stuff to throw at us, to keep us from voting. that is not new, that is what they do.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 9:14 am

Stop overcorrecting for your over optimism in 2016.

Yes there are 4 months to go, anything can happen as this year demonstrates
Yes the electoral college favors a republican candidate.
Yes Biden is a weak candidate.
Yes the left could cause a backlash with their with their knocking down statues and calls to defund the police.
Like I said I still don’t think he quits.

This is not 2016
He was never down this much in meta polling.
He was not the incumbent presiding over the largest unemployment since 2016 and pandemic that effects his base.

He is trying to make these cultural issues over the statues and such the issue in the campaign, so far it ain’t working.
1. The left is over playing their hand but despite the anger over statue his mishandiling of the pandemic and being ”unpresidential” counts more
2. This is not 1972, the Nixon playbook won’t work in 2020. Mainstream America while not down the some of the tactics and extremes of Black Lives Matter and the woke is sympathetic to the cause. 50 years ago you did not see massive daily demonstrations by white people in conservative suburban and rural areas. 50 years ago you did not see major corporations going along with woke inspired rebranding.

Remember he won because he managed to win by by winning in the right places by under 100,000 votes. So even if he has a major bounce back to his 2016 popularity levels he would have to ”thread the needle” again in order to be reelected.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:00 am

so you are convinced that none of the standard GOP dirty tricks (mailing people in working class zones deceptive flyers saying "the election is next week, don't go out due to coronavirus", strategic closing of polling places in working class zones, intimidating "poll watchers" in working class districts, tossing ballots, tampering with the black boxes, outright refusal to count certain ballots, et al) will work? you think those favorable poll numbers will last all the way 'til november come hell or korea?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:16 am

I don't see him quitting mid-term, but he might choose not to put up a genuine fight for reelection. The virus throws a wrench in any meaningful strides in improving things like the economy. The 24/7 negative media bias has worn down the morale of the voters and probably the president. Generally a person doesn't want to continue with something if it's a losing proposition.

If Biden was elected and then his VP ascends in short order to be president Harris, watch for the message in regard to the virus to shift; watch the message change to the virus really not being all that bad and that life should return to normal sooner than later. It'll be our duty as Americans to persevere, come together and not let the virus hold us down.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:19 am

the GOP knows that if trumpy goes down, they go down with him, and likely some of them at least will end up on the dock. so no matter what trumpy decides to do, the GOP is still gonna go into overdrive in a scorched earth campaign. be prepared for some pretty lowdown stuff to go down.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:29 am

^ Maybe, but if the polls are actually accurate (possible or possibly not) three things could be happening that are outside of Trump's control:

1) The virus has negatively altered people's lives like nothing else in the last 100 years with no end in sight at this point. Life and society are wrecked by it at this point. Trump can't fix that.

2) The economy is wrecked because of the virus. Trump can't fix that.

3) The 24/7 media bias has been successful in that it's worn people down and has wrecked national morale. People want it to stop.

A democrat president would mean a media shift into "don't fear the virus" (mark my words) and a modest improvement in the economy after the virus narrative would change. Also the media bias would change to lionizing said savior president and that our lives are now gleeful. Not just "good" again, but gleeful.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:33 am

hell, at this point i'll buy that for a dollar with a smile on my face. :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
so you are convinced that none of the standard GOP dirty tricks (mailing people in working class zones deceptive flyers saying "the election is next week, don't go out due to coronavirus", strategic closing of polling places in working class zones, intimidating "poll watchers" in working class districts, tossing ballots, tampering with the black boxes, outright refusal to count certain ballots, et al) will work? you think those favorable poll numbers will last all the way 'til november come hell or korea?

You think the Dems won’t counter republican efforts, they won’t inflate pandemic numbers in red areas? That they are a bunch of hippies peace and love etc?. Here in NY protesters were allowed to do their social distance violation thing, while conservative orthodox Jewish playgrounds got padlocked. Coincidence?

Trump will probably bounce back at some point but he has a lot of bouncing back to do and he has never gone above 46 percent approval or so rating and that was during and right after the election.

I am not saying start making your Biden inauguration plans. I am saying unjustified overconfidence could be just as damaging as unjustified overconfidence was in 2016.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 29 Jun 2020, 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.