Definitely 'No' - build more prisons! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 5:36 pm

First, a webtoon...

Existential Comics: Angela Davis vs the Liberal ReformersImage
NOTE: All of the liberal positions were taken direction from Joe Biden's justice reform platform.

Second, a quote...
Angela Y. Davis wrote:
In most parts of the world, it is taken for granted that whoever is convicted of a serious crime will be sent to prison. In some countries-including the United States -- where capital punishment has not yet been abolished, a small but significant number of people are sentenced to death for what are considered especially grave crimes. Many people are familiar with the campaign to abolish the death penalty. In fact, it has already been abolished in most countries. Even the staunchest advocates of capital punishment acknowledge the fact that the death penalty faces serious challenges. Few people find life without the death penalty difficult to imagine.

On the other hand, the prison is considered an inevitable and permanent feature of our social lives. Most people are quite surprised to hear that the prison abolition movement also has a long history-one that dates back to the historical appearance of the prison as the main form of punishment. In fact, the most natural reaction is to assume that prison activists -- even those who consciously refer to themselves as "antiprison activists" -- are simply trying to ameliorate prison conditions or perhaps to reform the prison in more fundamental ways. In most circles prison abolition is simply unthinkable and implausible. Prison abolitionists are dismissed as utopians and idealists whose ideas are at best unrealistic and impracticable, and, at worst, mystifying and foolish. This is a measure of how difficult it is to envision a social order that does not rely on the threat of sequestering people in dreadful places designed to separate them from their communities and families. The prison is considered so "natural" that it is extremely hard to imagine life without it...
Third, a link to a FREE downloadable document in PDF... Are Prisons Obsolete?

Finally, the Poll Question: "Are Prisons Obsolete?"

Granted, all the "evidence" I have presented so far is one-sided, and does not present the side which defends the laws that make us all dungeon-masters by proxy.  But this is a poll to determine the general opinions of those who respond to it, and does not consider the volume and vitriol of the replies you submit.

You may select only one option, but you may change your selection at any time.  Please keep your replies civil and your explanations focused on the topic, without delving off into who is responsible (we all are) and which political party is at fault (they all are), or any personal issues you may have (start your own thread).

Thank you.

-Fnord-

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 6:40 pm

A lot of the American issues with prisons would go away if they were taken out of the hands of private companies. A for-profit prison system does not incentivise reforming prisoners. It does the exact opposite. It's monumentally stupid.

Put prisons under the state, and then you can do far better work at reforming prisoners. The kind of work which might not make your prison profitable, but overall for the government and society it's worth the investment. And in programs to try and prevent people turning to crime in the first place. You can link your in-prison and out of prison strategies.

But you can never abolish prisons. Some people are just evil, and need to be removed from society until they die. Others will determine a life of crime is the life for them no matter what measures you take, because fast, rich money is available to a criminal in a way that just isn't in civilised society.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 6:41 pm

I feel there is already less emphasis on incarceration (at least in NY State), and more emphasis on “alternatives to incarceration.“ In NYC, the police will be “defunded” by $1 billion dollars in the very near future.

Still, I feel there are certain people who should be locked up.

I don’t believe prisons are “obsolete,” though I do believe prison is an “archaic” punishment for some offenders.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 7:08 pm

I just want to say having just looked I was under the mistaken impression America's prison system was dominated by private prisons. In fact, only 8.41% of American prisoners are in private prisons according to Wikipedia. Whenever I hear about private prisons, it's always to do with America. I thought it was a distinctly American thing, yet other Anglo countries have a greater proportion of prisoners in private prisons, Australia and the UK seemingly leading the World with 18.4% in Australia and almost as much in the UK (England and Wales 18.46%, Scotland 15.3%.) Even New Zealand is at 10%. I didn't know that any of these nations had private prisons. Though I suppose with the population of the US, even with the lower %, the US will have more people in private prisons than all three of these nations combined.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 7:19 pm

Federal prisons are run by the Federal Bureau of Prisons, not by the municipal police, so "defunding" of local police departments should have no bearing upon federal prisons.

Here in California, it is the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation; again, not the municipal police, so "defunding" of local police departments is irrelevant here, too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2020, 9:10 pm

In parts of Europe prisons are a lot nicer and more hospital like.In other parts of the world prisons are much worse,very draconian.

Prisons will get nicer in the US but we're some time off from American prisons being hospital like.

There is still so much violence that tough prisons are needed.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 2:32 am

Abolish prisons? No. But maybe dont turn them over to private interests and run them with an eye towards profit?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jul 2020, 3:47 am

I guess, to borrow a phrase, I’m a gradualist abolitionist. I don’t think shutting prisons overnight is sensible and ultimately we’re probably always going to need to lock up people who commit serial acts of violence.

But meanwhile:

- we can and should look at alternatives to imprisonment

- prisons should be focused on rehabilitation, not retribution

- we could try using prison in more creative ways to allow prisoners to remain part of society - for example, only imprisoning people on weekends so that they can keep their jobs

- conditions in prisons should be improved

- lots of crimes, particularly on issues like drugs, guns, sex, and immigration, should just be abolished altogether

I think probably within 10-15 years we could have capacity with the more successful alternatives to prison that we could send almost no-one to traditional prisons.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 6:54 am

The_Walrus wrote:
I guess, to borrow a phrase, I’m a gradualist abolitionist. I don’t think shutting prisons overnight is sensible and ultimately we’re probably always going to need to lock up people who commit serial acts of violence.

But meanwhile:

- we can and should look at alternatives to imprisonment

- prisons should be focused on rehabilitation, not retribution

- we could try using prison in more creative ways to allow prisoners to remain part of society - for example, only imprisoning people on weekends so that they can keep their jobs

- conditions in prisons should be improved

- lots of crimes, particularly on issues like drugs, guns, sex, and immigration, should just be abolished altogether

I think probably within 10-15 years we could have capacity with the more successful alternatives to prison that we could send almost no-one to traditional prisons.

Without any gun laws altogether, wouldn't that create a safe haven for violent offenders?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 7:06 am

“Defunding the police” is also “defunding” the criminal justice system.

They absolutely have much to do with each other.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 7:47 am

You have to have a warehouse to put all of the worst felons, just to keep them off of the streets.

But it might be the prisons need to be..,"reimagined".

And in places like Germany in Europe prisons are run a lot differently, and nicer, and seem to be more effective at preventing recetivism than here in the states.

Also, I agree that privatization was a bad idea.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 07 Jul 2020, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 8:12 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
“Defunding the police” is also “defunding” the criminal justice system...
Not on this planet, Kortie.

"Defund the Police" means just that -- reduce or eliminate funding for the municipal police department.  There is no drive to defund County Sherrif's offices, State Police offices, or even the FBI.

The police, the courts, and the prison systems all have separate budgets.

You are reading too much into "Defund the Police".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 8:22 am

There will be an inevitable, if indirect, effect upon the whole criminal justice system if the police is “defunded.”

I might be asked to take “early retirement” from my job within the criminal justice system.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 9:15 am

Absolutely not! Some prisons are run in ways that have no place in siviliced society and need to be changed, but as long as dangerous criminals exist, prisons are an absolute necessarity.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 9:21 am

Kraftie makes a good point. If an organization loses money and has to cut costs, it will likely be the admin and support staff who are first to go. Prisons and police departments will be even less pleasant for those inside. Prisoners and remaining staff.

And don’t forget a large difference between the US and other western countries (except Australia and maybe New Zealand)- we are multicultural. We will always have a level if disagreement about societal rules and their enforcement because those things are cultural.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 9:37 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
Kraftie makes a good point. If an organization loses money and has to cut costs, it will likely be the admin and support staff who are first to go...
While he makes a point, his experience is limited to East Coast government bureaucracies.

Around here, when the Cv19 layoffs hit, the first to go were the hourly wage workers.  Every organization I work with has cut costs by reducing the labor pool first.  It's the old "Wingnut" philosophy -- hourly workers are everywhere, and can easily be replaced when needed.

Not so with the salaried workers.  Qualified management types are less plentiful than generic labor types, so most businesses are more reluctant to let go of Management than Labor, and will likely lay off the laborers completely while retaining their managers on reduced hours or placing them on a furlough rotation.

(Then again, many businesses have simply shut their doors in the hope that they can reopen before being forced to file for bankruptcy.)

The bottom line is that when police departments are "defunded", it won't be the mayor, the city council members, the police commissioners, the chief of police, or the high-ranking detectives who go first (if they go at all).  It will be the rookies and other low-seniority people first, and "defunding" will likely include closing those community services that beat cops are asked to "volunteer" for, as well.

Again, "defunding" the Los Angeles Police Department (for example) will likely have little or no effect on the Chino State Prison (a.k.a., "California Institution for Men").

Last edited by Fnord on 07 Jul 2020, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.